* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 20, 2020 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

GamerJustin
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 11:01 am 
Pick Potatos, not boogers

I went to GameStop today to pay off my copy of Story of Seasons and I'm surprised that I'm the only one who preordered the game. I know from past experience usually there are three to five people who preorder it, but one thing that is a plus I guess for me is, if no one else preorder a copy of the game. My buddy will give me a extra bunny rabbit since they got a few in the back.

Blue Leafeon
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 11:03 am 

I thought this would be another post about getting the game early.

And wow, the only person? Did everyone else not know that the REAL harvest moon had changed its name to Story of Seasons?

GamerJustin
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 11:06 am 

Blue Leafeon wrote:
I thought this would be another post about getting the game early.

And wow, the only person? Did everyone else not know that the REAL harvest moon had changed its name to Story of Seasons?

I'm not sure that is what I'm wondering. Even my buddy who works there didn't even know that this game is actually a Bokujou Monogatari game. I guess there is still some confusion out there.

Slowpoke
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 11:11 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Yeah, I think unless you go on forums like us or are a die hard fan, you wouldn't know.
And why would you know?
Natsume didnt post anything about it on their facebook I'm pretty sure, so its not like even if you follow Natsume on facebook you would know.

Oh well. I try to post about it on my facebook a lot but I dont have any friends that are Harvest Moon fans. lol

ivanity
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 11:26 am 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

I've talked to a few people IRL who are pretty confused about the whole Natsume Harvest Moon game vs Story of Seasons, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the reason

idk anything about current numbers but I really hope the naming issue doesn't cause problems for sales D:

HummingGillz
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 11:30 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

ivanity wrote:
I've talked to a few people IRL who are pretty confused about the whole Natsume Harvest Moon game vs Story of Seasons, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the reason

idk anything about current numbers but I really hope the naming issue doesn't cause problems for sales D:

Same. It's too early to tell for sales numbers outside of Japan, but I hope this one sells well enough for the next SoS (if it is created) to be localized.

BigBangBaby
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 12:21 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

In regards to the name it's not surprising. Unless the game has the same name as it does in japanese, most people who don't really follow japanese gaming won't know their actual or original names. I know I've had this issue with bokumono myself because unlike most westerners my first game was the japanese bokumono for the super famicom and i have always bought the original first and the English when one was released. So if I say bokujou monogatari or bokumono pretty much no one knew what I was talking about so I would have to catch myself and say harvest moon. (I also have this issue with my friends who really love earthbound, but if I say mother the response is wth are you talking about xD, same with Zero)

Last edited by BigBangBaby on Mar 28, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Leafeon
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 12:25 pm 

I don't know, I'd have thought that people would be able to tell the difference between the two series. Just looking at TLV made it very clear that the artists who were doing the real farm story games did not do that at all. and personally I couldn't stand the super chibi art style...

Then again, I can't fathom people who don't already know this stuff because I have tons of online friends that ALWAYS keep me up to date, whether I want to be or not, LOL.

Night Owl
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 12:33 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Let's see here... How to start... Pre-orders are really only a portion of the sales for games. While the street date is broken, Story of Seasons hasn't had any professional reviews of it posted. (However the game currently has a 9.5 community rating on IGN for what it's worth. 14 people reviewed, go figure.) Metacritic hasn't opened the review thing yet since it's not officially released and so and so forth. Will the name change hurt sales? Most likely. But really, the general public hasn't even been exposed to the game through the "mainstream" media outlets. Long story short, too early to tell. Especially since it's before the official release date. And quite frankly, the art style of TLV is so vastly different than ANB and previous installments that I think the average person can tell by looking... Hopefully. I still remember XSeed's E3 video for SoS and how it lined up all the Japanese boxart for the BokuMono games. I found that really funny for some reason.

irulethegalaxy
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 12:55 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

I'd point out that the lower number of preorders at your gamestop might be because:

a) a lot of people might go digital, because they know they will be sinking a lot of time into the game
b) Amazon had the same preorder bonus, and will deliver on release date
c) Gamestop really kinda sucks a lot of the time!

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 12:59 pm 
Anonymous Fish

irulethegalaxy wrote:

Blue Leafeon
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 1:06 pm 

irulethegalaxy wrote:
I'd point out that the lower number of preorders at your gamestop might be because:

a) a lot of people might go digital, because they know they will be sinking a lot of time into the game
b) Amazon had the same preorder bonus, and will deliver on release date

LOL on the third one. Yet, look at how many people use it. (I simply have no other video game stores in the area and I don't have a paypal for online things ;_; )

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm 
Anonymous Fish

Not many people buy the game where I live either, I'm usually told I'm the only one who bought a HM game as well, so it's no surprise if Story of Seasons is the same. I have no Bokujou Monogatari friends outside of this forum, so yeah. But I always find that it sells well elsewhere so I wouldn't be too worried, yet. lol

Beedlebud
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 1:27 pm 

Naming issues aside, HM/SoS still is a pretty niche series. I'm not too surprised that you'd be the only one to preorder at a Gamestop.

As some other posters above said, I wouldn't take this as any indication that it's going to fare badly. People will order it online, and other people (like myself) are buying the game digitally.

Vell
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 3:37 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

It also doesn't help that some bigger internet sites (like GameSpot) have said that Story of Seasons was a "Harvest Moon spin off". That leads to some confusion as well. But I've seen a lot of people who are looking forward to this game, so I don't think the sales are going to be that bad.

And not to rip on Gamestop, but I think their sales are on a bit of a down swing. Really, Amazon is a big competitor now. With them both having the pre order bonus, there's no reason to pick one over the other. Gamestop isn't the only place one can acquire games anymore (which I'm pretty thankful for). And digital sales are gaining in popularity as well. So while the name change COULD be the biggest factor, there's too many other variables also affecting GS pre orders.

I did pre order from Gamestop, so I'll be getting my 3 bunnies there. Or I better xD I wouldn't be adverse to getting more if they just had them laying around! Bunny army!