Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

   * Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 20, 2020 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
anissina
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 11:28 am 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

User avatar
Posts: 530

Offline
In this game we have not only an older guy (Klaus) but we also have Iris. Now, I'm 25, I LOVE that we have older characters because I feel like a creeper even thinking of marrying guys who look as young as Fritz/Mistel do. But I also have a problem. Because so far EVERY SINGLE ONE of the older marriage candidates talk all the time about how they are so much older, and how could the character love someone their age. Am I the only one who is massively annoyed by this? Not everyone playing these games are teenagers. Making the characters look in their mid 20's and them having this huge mid life crisis about how old they are is stupid/obnoxious. I don't care if I'm always going after the older characters I'm tired of hearing that stupid age related dialogue from them!

Anyone else in this same boat? Are Klaus and Iris any better then previous older characters?
 
Reply with quote  
LeBurns
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 11:51 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

User avatar
Posts: 1169

Offline
I would assume in their culture that marrying young is the norm. Being 25 could make you an old maid.
 
Reply with quote  
Mecha-Lollipop
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 11:58 am 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

User avatar
Posts: 975

Offline
I've always pictured Iris as early 30's and Klaus as mid 30's personally. Also as the MC being around my age (21) so a 10+ year difference makes that whole thing make more sense to me since IRL I wouldn't date someone that much older than me and most people I know would find that sort of an age gap slightly odd.
From what I've seen they aren't notorious for constantly bringing it up like certain other characters have though. Klaus just seems extra protective that you're not accidentally giving off the wrong impression from what I've gathered. Granted I haven't played the game yet and won't have my copy for about another hour since I have to pick it up one town over. x_x
 
Reply with quote  
anissina
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 12:07 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

User avatar
Posts: 530

Offline
I guess I can understand seeing the MC as younger made more sense in the older games but now with all the customization that we have it just seems silly and borderline stupid to have age be such a huge factor in a characters personality. When we can customize so much about the game to play it how we want why are we/they still assuming the MC is 20/21? I don't know about you but my character is always the same age as I am myself at the time.

I personally don't see them as being any older then 30 at the very max.

I mean yeah gustafa and carter. They were a LOT older. Klaus and Iris? Not so much. And again that game came out a long time ago when there wasn't much customization and frankly I think back then the reality was that women who were any older then 20 weren't seen as the type to be playing video games. I would think by now they would have realized that's not true but it doesn't seem like they have.

I don't want to be playing these games when I'm 30 and still have to sit through the "but I'm so much older then you" dialogue.
 
Reply with quote  
Blue Leafeon
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 12:39 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

User avatar
Posts: 797

Offline
LeBurns wrote:
I would assume in their culture that marrying young is the norm. Being 25 could make you an old maid.

In traditional Japanese culture, women over 25 are "beyond their youth" and thus undesirable. Maybe this applies to men too? I have no clue.

on topic:

Quote:
I don't care if I'm always going after the older characters I'm tired of hearing that stupid age related dialogue from them!

Seriously. I really thing video game companies have issues with girls playing video games period, but they ESPECIALLY have issues with women playing games, I think. >_>

Fritz is adorable and I'd love to be his BFF but he's not the kind of attractive I'd like in a bachelor. However, I'm not exactly drawn to the older characters myself--I still have issues processing the fact that I'm as old as I really am, LOL!

Quote:
I've always pictured Iris as early 30's and Klaus as mid 30's personally.

Agreed.

Quote:
Also as the MC being around my age (21)

I noticed the game actually called my character a youth, like Fritz. Does this mean we're playing as 17-year-olds?
 
Reply with quote  
irulethegalaxy
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 12:49 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

User avatar
Posts: 667

Offline
I married Soseke (sp? I don't remember) in ANB, and I HATED how he kept calling himself "an old man"...at 28.


Especially because I was way older than he was in the game. Urgh. It just kind of felt insulting. I know it's an RPG, but still. Ugh.
 
Reply with quote  
Blue Leafeon
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 12:56 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

User avatar
Posts: 797

Offline
irulethegalaxy wrote:
I married Soseke (sp? I don't remember) in ANB, and I HATED how he kept calling himself "an old man"...at 28.


Especially because I was way older than he was in the game. Urgh. It just kind of felt insulting. I know it's an RPG, but still. Ugh.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I thought he was 45! O_O That's the age the game always acted like he was, anyway.
 
Reply with quote  
Night Owl
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 1:04 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

User avatar
Posts: 349

Offline
Yeah, it's called the "Christmas Cake" trope... I don't particularly enjoy it either. It's pretty much the equivalent to parents bugging their single children to get married and have kids (another thing, I don't particularly enjoy when it shows up in games/books/movies/etc). The older bachelors and bachelorettes are really nice to have though. Klaus is actually a serious contender for me right now. xD Iris too. If there were more files, I'd totally make a guy file and marry her. Ah, I really wish there were more than 2 save files. -_- Although I do wish they'd stop spouting off the age reason. A few times is okay, maybe to show off some insecurity as a love interest, but having it come up a lot isn't the best...

Also, I think the MCs are supposed to be 21. And yes, 21 is still technically a "youth". It's a subjective thing. Depends on who in the game is calling you that too. Really I don't think people really become adults once they hit 21. You're an adult by law, but the brain is an entirely different matter altogether. Same with mannerisms.
 
Reply with quote  
Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 1:06 pm 
Anonymous Fish

Blue Leafeon wrote:
LeBurns wrote:
I would assume in their culture that marrying young is the norm. Being 25 could make you an old maid.

In traditional Japanese culture, women over 25 are "beyond their youth" and thus undesirable. Maybe this applies to men too? I have no clue.

on topic:

Quote:
I don't care if I'm always going after the older characters I'm tired of hearing that stupid age related dialogue from them!

Seriously. I really thing video game companies have issues with girls playing video games period, but they ESPECIALLY have issues with women playing games, I think. >_>

Fritz is adorable and I'd love to be his BFF but he's not the kind of attractive I'd like in a bachelor. However, I'm not exactly drawn to the older characters myself--I still have issues processing the fact that I'm as old as I really am, LOL!

Quote:
I've always pictured Iris as early 30's and Klaus as mid 30's personally.

Agreed.

Quote:
Also as the MC being around my age (21)

I noticed the game actually called my character a youth, like Fritz. Does this mean we're playing as 17-year-olds?


Well, compared to the other farming rivals like Eda and Georgio, I think the age 18-23 could still be considered "youth". I mean, you are moving out on your own and everything, which makes me assume that the MC must be 18+. Not like it really matters anyways since the MC is there as an avatar for you, the player and is likely to be the same age you are. :) Even if the person who's playing is like, really old or something. :?
 
Reply with quote  
Emurii
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 1:10 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 4156

Offline
FWIW, in ANB, Dunhill specifically says that the farm was a coming of age present from your parents. Coming of age is 20 in Japan, so I think we can safely assume that the MC in recent games is ~18-20 in Year 1.

In previous games, where bachelor/ettes have had their ages clearly listed in guides, it has been in late teens/early twenties, trending toward older characters lately. I think Lyla in STH may have been the first bachelorette to break the 20-year barrier? (correct me if I'm wrong on that...)
 
Reply with quote  
Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 1:20 pm 
Anonymous Fish

irulethegalaxy wrote:
I married Soseke (sp? I don't remember) in ANB, and I HATED how he kept calling himself "an old man"...at 28.


Especially because I was way older than he was in the game. Urgh. It just kind of felt insulting. I know it's an RPG, but still. Ugh.


OMG same here.
Except I'm around his age and not a lot older. But I'm like oh yeah that helps me feel WAY better about myself. x3

But even without that it's like... Uh dude you're not that old. You sound like a 60 year old griping when you talk like that you know that right?
 
Reply with quote  
August
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 4:16 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

User avatar
Posts: 62

Offline
i wouldn't have minded so much if it was just one, maybe two characters (since there are older people that fret about dating younger folks in real life), but they seem to be doing it with every character that significantly older than the MC, which is reallyyy annoying.

the funny thing is, the christmas cake trope usually applies exclusively to women, and i don't think i've ever seen someone try to apply it to men. ever.

i guess i should be happy that they're not just applying it to women (since it's so frickin' misogynistic), but still. they just need to stop using that silly trope altogether.
 
Reply with quote  
Blue Leafeon
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 4:26 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

User avatar
Posts: 797

Offline
August wrote:
the funny thing is, the christmas cake trope usually applies exclusively to women, and i don't think i've ever seen someone try to apply it to men. ever.

i guess i should be happy that they're not just applying it to women (since it's so frickin' misogynistic), but still. they just need to stop using that silly trope altogether.

Yeah, I know that it's female only, but still, it does seem like they're applying it to both genders. It's weird.
 
Reply with quote  
copernicusmaximus
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 4:40 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

User avatar
Posts: 492

Offline
I don't mind older bachelors and bachelorettes being nervous about age difference, I just get annoyed when that's basically their only defining character trait. A lot of potential spouses have some insecurities, like Neil being nervous about dating you since he's rude and awkward sometimes, but his insecurity isn't really his only trait. Whereas older bachelors and bachelorettes bring up the age difference CONSTANTLY. I understand why--they want you to understand that it's kind of a serious issue in relationships--but at the end of the day you're both adults so I don't see why every other word out of their mouth has to be about their age. :bunny:

Muffy was a good older bachelorette. She was insecure about her age but that wasn't the only thing she talked about when you courted her and married her. I feel like that was a good balance.
 
Reply with quote  
Elystia
Post Posted: Mar 31, 2015 4:47 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Posts: 198

Offline
Urgh. Yes. This so much. I can't even descripe how much this bothers me. I have nothing against older bachelors and bachelorettes (I'm not that young myself anymore too). I considered even some of them really interesting, of course until it was always the same repeating dialogue "I'm so old!". It wouldn't be such a problem if they didn't mention it like almost every sentence / event.. but like maybe one or two times. Heck, most of them don't even look that old and probably aren't THAT much older as the MC either. They complain even more about their age than the normal eldery villagers.

I really really hope that it isn't the case with Klaus and Iris, because I like both of them already so much from what I saw and read... and it would be such a downer.
 
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 8 hours


 

Search this topic:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group