Rate this game
You may select 1 option

View results
May
  Post subject: Rate this game from 1-10
Post Posted: Dec 05, 2014 6:49 am 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Now that the game has been out for a while, I'm curious to know how you all would rate this game on a number scale where 1 is the lowest (bad) and 10 is the highest (good). Also, why do you think it deserves the number you gave it?

Tootall
  Post subject: Re: Rate this game from 1-10
Post Posted: Dec 05, 2014 9:22 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I don't normally like the handheld HMs--they're just not normally my thing, but this one is fun, and holds my interest--it's similar to HM:SNES in some ways and I think that's what I love so much. I would rate it a 10, but there are some things that bring it down for me. 1. Hunter's use of y'all for EVERYTHING he says. It's so wrong it's not even funny. It's really, really annoying. 2. The time does pass a little too quickly. Just a smidge. I think it needs to be tweaked just a little bit. 3. While I like the concept of animals having skills, I really don't see the benefit. I would like to see that built on some in future games. Also, only being able to bring them out of the barn every other day is a real pain in the butt. I want to be able to put them in and out myself and not HAVE to rely on the harvest sprites.

May
Post Posted: Dec 05, 2014 10:59 am 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Personally, I gave it a five. I haven't gotten much through the game, but even looking at it from the perspective of a series that's different from bokumono, there's a lot of features that are not fully fleshed out or plain annoying. I think the only reason I play is to waste time terraforming.
List of annoyances include: tracking down visitors, extending the life of the game by locking out items through requests, cooking system, no actual point of animal skills really, no hints or guidance whatsoever on crops and fertilizer, awful sprite help and no upgrades, no way to have grass unless manipulating annoying water, no lock on feature when performing an action, plus you make hardly any money growing crops geeze.

Terraforming the valley is addicting which is probably why I gave it a 5 solely for that feature rather than 3 or 4.

YuiYamana
Post Posted: Dec 05, 2014 1:09 pm 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

I gave it a six. It's not the best Harvest Moon game but not the worst. I expected way more out of it though. Was way less fun than any of the others

Floh
Post Posted: Dec 05, 2014 2:14 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

YuiYamana wrote:
I gave it a six. It's not the best Harvest Moon game but not the worst. I expected way more out of it though. Was way less fun than any of the others

Comparing this game to harvest moon is like comparing apples with oranges, because it´s not a harvest moon game, even if it has the same name. :?

YuiYamana
Post Posted: Dec 05, 2014 5:21 pm 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Floh wrote:
YuiYamana wrote:

Comparing this game to harvest moon is like comparing apples with oranges, because it´s not a harvest moon game, even if it has the same name. :?

I didn't find out that Marvelous was no longer doing it until literally earlier today when I gave this answer. I had completely thought this was the same game with the same developers. Now that I know it's officially off the old developer branch I can say my opinion still stands. It's not the worst but I still expected more. Even if it's not a technical Harvest Moon game I still find it a very mediocre game. This is just me personally. Not everyone has the same opinion about this game :?

Last edited by YuiYamana on Dec 06, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cherubae
Post Posted: Dec 06, 2014 9:32 am 
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Floh wrote:

It is a Harvest Moon game. Developer changes happen in the game industry.

(The whole "it isn't a Harvest Moon game" blah blah really needs to stop.)

My biggest hiccup with Lost Valley is the lack of in-game hints on how things work. I don't know how long the developers expected someone to spend trying to figure out how to grow Killer Tomatoes, or how to get cows with different spot patterns, or the benefits of each fertilizer type. Adding that to the dream sequences would help a lot, or having the villagers say "Hey, I bet if you did so-and-so, this might happen," but sometimes it feels like I'm just burning my wheels and making no progress.

I do enjoy it, but it will also take an extraordinary long time to figure everything out. Which is one of the problems I have with Story of Seasons; in an attempt to be more engaging, both games are too complex in some areas.

azog
Post Posted: Dec 06, 2014 10:41 am 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

I'd have to give the game a middle-of-the-road rating, 5, which is a reduction of my original assessment. Some of my reasons are similar to what others have already stated. I've got 66 hours logged, so it's clear that I did put in a lot of time, and I don't think one would log so many hours if there wasn't some fun to it. But the shortcomings are outweighing the positives (and yes, there are plenty of positive aspects). Right now the game is back in the box, and I'm unlikely to pick it up for a while (if ever; unfortunately for Natsume, that's the fate of their last two games. I've never finished Hometown Story, and I was at 6/7 feather events, but I was stalled with no direction).

Cherubae wrote:
(The whole "it isn't a Harvest Moon game" blah blah really needs to stop.)

Lirishae
Post Posted: Dec 06, 2014 2:54 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Cherubae wrote:
*snipped for brevity*

100% agree with everything said.

I initially gave this game a 7, largely because of the terraforming, but the end-game frustration level is so obscene that I'm dropping my score down to a 4. The game is wildly imbalanced and after a certain point becomes almost impossibly difficult. It's like no one bothered to test whether or not reasonably savvy players could actually do and figure out these things on their own.

Bruno Boo
Post Posted: Dec 06, 2014 5:03 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Lirishae wrote:

100% agree with everything said.

I initially gave this game a 7, largely because of the terraforming, but the end-game frustration level is so obscene that I'm dropping my score down to a 4. The game is wildly imbalanced and after a certain point becomes almost impossibly difficult. It's like no one bothered to test whether or not reasonably savvy players could actually do and figure out these things on their own.

My thoughs EXACTLY.

Anoynmous Klapper
Post Posted: Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm 
Anonymous Fish

3/10

Anketam
Post Posted: Dec 06, 2014 7:56 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Right now I scored it very low. I might revisit this game once they start making DLC for it, if said content contains tools or other in game systems that help the player figure out the mutation system. And if the DLC is good enough I might rerate this game higher.

Anoynmous Fush
Post Posted: Dec 12, 2014 4:19 pm 
Anonymous Fish

hahahahaha

wYT0w
Post Posted: Dec 12, 2014 10:31 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

5/10. Nice first effort, Natsume, but the game needs a lot more polish and probably should have had more QA testing beforehand.

Kross lover/fan
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2014 10:00 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I gave it 4/10
Only because it kept me interested long enough to restore all of the seasons. Now that I did that I really bored of the game and refuse to play it again unless Natsume gives us really good DLC