Rate this game
You may select 1 option

View results
Lirishae
  Post subject: Re: Rate this game from 1-10
Post Posted: Dec 27, 2014 7:24 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Yeah, it is ridiculous, and it does kill your enthusiasm for the game :/ That's why I make a point of warning people who are interested in TLV about the fact that no one has figured out the endgame yet. There's little point in creating a complex system like this if the rules are never explained to the players. Finding mutations hinges so completely on luck that the effect would be almost the same if they just left it up to a random number generator. If it was a matter of making educated guesses and testing them out, the game would be a lot of fun. That would be rewarding effort and skill instead of luck. The way things are now, you just have to be lucky enough to plant something in the exact right conditions needed for the plant to mutate. We probably still don't even know all the conditions that affect plants, either.

NessEggman
Post Posted: Dec 27, 2014 10:47 pm 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Ouch :( It sounds like the same fate that UNLIMITED:Saga suffered -- the gameplay was complex and deep, and actually quite strategic and challenging and amazingly fun... as long as you knew how it worked. The problem is no one did. And the game gave absolutely no indication so you could learn. For anyone who knows that game, it's one of the most widely hated games from Square-Enix :(

It's actually one of my favorite games though. Because a few dedicated fans stuck around and figured it out. Even after the 600-page official guide came out in Japan, and even now over 10 years later there are STILL things we don't know about the game exactly, but enough that we can play it and enjoy it thoroughly and see all it has to offer.

So sadly this game will probably become like that -- way too frustrating and boring for most people to figure out. But obsessive fans will get kick out of it at least. The kind of people who kinda enjoy this grind and figuring stuff out with everyone.

In a way, I'm glad the game isn't completely solved, since I only just now got it. Maybe I can participate and help everyone after all! This period of time when the game is still new and everyone is working together to figure stuff out is really fun IMO. But this game is not nearly as engaging or exciting as UNLIMITED:Saga, so let's hope I don't get burned out.

I'm already mad that I can't marry Doc hahaha. I run to him every time I see him pop up and I'm like "WHY WILL YOU NOT LOVE ME T_T" hahahaha. And I'm already starting to like Catherine more than Hunter, and I even spent like 4 hours talking it over with my friend trying to decide which gender I should play. In the end I thought I'd probably enjoy playing as a girl more because I'd probably find both Hunter and Cath to be boring cardboard characters (as this game seems to be... that way, for the most part) and I'd rather just play as girl because I like to play as girl characters more. Well, whaddya know, Hunter is boring as a boring rock among rocks, and Catherine actually seems kinda interesting. And there is no way I feel like doing all of this intro-y stuff again. Being limited to like 2 crops and a fishing pole for most of month is not fun X_X though I wouldn't mind being able to retry my terraforming from the beginning... My valley is so ugly and messed up now and it's going to take forever to fix it.

Lirishae
Post Posted: Dec 28, 2014 6:51 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I played Unlimited SaGa, but to be honest, it was having to spin that wheel EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. to attack that made me quit. ^^; I'm not surprised to hear that the game actually has a lot of depth to it though. SaGa Frontier (and Legend of Mana to a lesser extent) were widely bashed on PS1, but also contained a lot of complexity, depth, and a lot of things that were sadly omitted due to time and space constraints :/ TLV reminds me most of tempering on Legend of Mana--the game had this incredibly deep and sophisticated weapon crafting system, but the game never explains ANYTHING about how it works to the player. Players were only able to get so far with it through trial and error. Then someone finally translated the Japanese Ultimania guide (another 600+ page guide), and it was as if a veil had been parted. It turned out this hidden stat, energy, actually governed most of the tempering process. We finally understood how Sulphur and Mercury worked to use them properly, and seemingly useless cards like Mirrored World turned out to be completely vital to advanced level tempering. That's when the full potential of system was finally realized, and formulating "recipes" became fun instead of pain-staking trial and error.

NessEggman
Post Posted: Dec 28, 2014 1:30 pm 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Yeah, UN:Saga had some ridiculous crafting stuff, too. Mostly that there were things that crafted only by chance, and materials that had the same name despite actually being different (this was intended lol).

And yeah I actually like spinning the reels but I never thought how annoying it would be if you didn't like it. Because you spin them a LOT lol.

nongo
Post Posted: Dec 28, 2014 9:23 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

i gave 7/10

C'mon you guys, let's give natsume some applause. It's their FIRST original HM game. In my opinion, it' very good for a first. I'm very impressed by the mechanics of building your world in your image and all but there could have been lots of improvements too. I'm sure natsume has learned a lot from making this game. Hopefully, if there's a next original HM game similar to TLV, it will definitely be improved in many ways.

PirateLiera
Post Posted: Jan 07, 2015 8:27 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

I give it a 6. There are some aspects that I find really interesting, like the crop mutations. And the storyline was cute. It's holding my attention enough that I'm trying to get married and stuff like that. The terraforming is okay. I don't love it but I don't hate it.

But. Some of the game mechanics. Not being able to upgrade my watering can is a huge annoyance. The Harvest Sprites only being able to work 3 days out of the week is annoying. Also, Hunter, Gilbert, and Sam's speech patterns are too exaggerated and obnoxious. The lack of a town bothers me; the game feels very small.

Overall it's a decent start but I do hope that Natsume takes these things into consideration and improves on their next title.

~Milotic~
Post Posted: Jan 08, 2015 5:12 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

I gave it a 9, I really do like this game. The only 2 things i really don't like about this game is the time moving too fast and the fact you are only able to water 1 square at a time. Everything else i like.

Grace
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2015 2:54 am 
Anonymous Fish

I gave this game a 2. Here's why:
1. Too tedious.
I know its harvest moon and that means all about the tedium but seriously? Watering a plant one at a time is fine at first but after a while I want to do other things then rewater 60 plants a day. Mutations and other stuff is also ridiculous. I think these days harvest moon creators think quantity is quality. They dont seem to try as hard to balance the amount of stuff you have to do with gameplay. I personally felt magical melody was a good balance between the two. The other things are a bit too time consuming. i do love later games but it doesnt have that same "i want to slip into it anytime" quality.

If they just made tool upgrades so u could water more than one plant at a time and dig up more dirt than one square at a time id give it a 5-6

2. Graphics are passable
the art style is cute to a certain degree but nothing about the visuals made me instantly want to own it

3. Character and town.. or lack of...
the marriage candidates are really bland to me. The lack of villagers to visit is sad as well. You'll only see ppl come to u which I find extremely limiting I feel like im in a jail cell locked to my house and field. The little nature backgrounds and the village was a fun Chang of pace in the harvest moon games. It was awesome just going to nature and pretending I was hiking or visiting a neighbor and looking at their home designs.
If they added a village and surrounding nature along with tool upgrades id give this game a 6-7

I really felt lack of all this was just laziness on the developers part. I feel like Natalie was over eager to publish a harvest moon game and grab more customers that they forgot to make the game worthwhile.

I liked the main character designs. Felt like an older harvest moon game which made me all nostalgic and happy. The mine craft concept was interesting bt they ddint utilize it enough. Overall unless they release a good dlc which adds a town and gives tool upgrades im never going to play this game.

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Mar 27, 2015 12:01 pm 
Anonymous Fish

6/10

It's pretty decent, the fact there are crop mutations is nice but their a pain to get. Getting to the underworld king was the worst. The tools not being upgradable has almost killed it for me though at points because it's a pain to be able to plant enough things to get the hard to get mutations to unlock seeds. I keep trying to think of what DLC they have in store, since I'm pretty sure they announced a mix of free&pay DLC. I think I was told they said they weren't going to do tool upgrades in this game but I forget who said that so not sure if it's true or not. I'm not sure what content they might make to charge for, as the only things I could even see myself paying for after dropping full game price would be tool upgrades, recipes, and seeds/new mutations. All of which I don't see them releasing as DLC.

irulethegalaxy
Post Posted: Mar 27, 2015 1:31 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

I gave it a 7. TBH, I really like the "throwback" style. As much as I enjoy "real" HM, it's gotten so complicated in many ways that it almost becomes a chore to play. I really like the old HM games, so this one sits with me very well.

I'd actually have scored TLV higher IF IF IF the game gave more concrete information about how to make the various things happen (creating certain soil types, MUTATIONS, etc etc). They are a really neat feature, but GOOD LORD. Add that to the really high requirements to unlock the mutation seeds, and it becomes a bit more of a grind than it really needs to be. And the dream hints just are so impossibly vague (and annoying!). Throw in a big book of crop riddles that could be filled in as we grew X many Y plants, or a botanist character who could examine a certain crop and give hints about what it may or may not like....lots of ways this could be done without being obnoxious/frustrating to the player.

Honestly, if they'd just give us a bit more of a guide on the crop mutations, I'd actually call the game damn near perfect. In many ways, I REALLY enjoy the game. I don't even mind the non-upgraded tools (but then, I was the weirdo who would go to OTHER peoples' AC towns and water all their flowers....).

applesnraisins
Post Posted: Mar 28, 2015 8:16 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I'm going to have to give the game a 4.

It does function! That's cool! No gamebreaking bugs (that I've run into)!! YEAH!

But I have a pretty long list of things about the game that I don't like. While I do appreciate the ability to have so many different variations of things like crops (and apparently animals, too?! I didn't even know until now!), you have to TELL the player about these. Or at least give a way to unlock the information we need. The only -- ONLY -- reason I was able to beat the game at all was because I used the fogu site to learn how to get what.

The cast of characters is pretty darn small. In some games, like A/nother Wonderful Life, this was okay because each character radiated their own separate personalities. But the characters in TLV all seem very bland. There doesn't seem to be much depth to their characters, which is essential if you ARE going to have a small cast.

Jumping. JUMPING. "Hey, do you wanna get down? Have fun jumping at this exact angle for fifteen seconds until, by LUCK, it works!" I don't like jumping. And while you do eventually unlock the ability to terraform rock, all the while, there is a chunk of the map that I can't easily access where villagers love to go.

On the topic of rock, there are some mines that are incredibly difficult to reach because you have to stagger your rock breaking. I can understand a little difficulty, but having to go back for in-game weeks because you have to carefully stagger your way down to this new mine is ridiculous.

FINALLY (sorry about the length), I don't like that you can't upgrade your tools. Especially the watering can. I'd like to be able to water my plants faster than one at a time when my fields are gigantic. Kind of wards me away from farming at all. :<

Contessa Zero
Post Posted: Mar 29, 2015 6:12 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

The most fun I had with this game was reading these forums.

May
Post Posted: Mar 29, 2015 6:33 pm 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Contessa Zero wrote:

Haha same. I had a great time speculating on what this game was to be about, but when I figured out there wasn't going to be a town along with no took upgrades, my hopes for this game plummeted. I bought the game out of support, but oh man, it's a bad game that feels super unpolished and apparently glitchy. I made it to mid summer of the first year and couldn't handle all the features being locked out and simply waiting for things to progress.

applesnraisins
Post Posted: Mar 30, 2015 4:08 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

May wrote:
Contessa Zero wrote:

Haha same. I had a great time speculating on what this game was to be about, but when I figured out there wasn't going to be a town along with no took upgrades, my hopes for this game plummeted. I bought the game out of support, but oh man, it's a bad game that feels super unpolished and apparently glitchy. I made it to mid summer of the first year and couldn't handle all the features being locked out and simply waiting for things to progress.

The only reason I completed the game at all was out of sheer spite.
I was incredibly angry at how deep I had to dig just to reach the Underworld King, especially when there's never an upgraded way to do it and staggering levels gets REALLY monotonous, but once I got down there and did all of the main story stuff, I kinda just...put the game down. And haven't really picked it back up. Yay, I have access to all of the seasons!...but I became so angry and frustrated while playing the main game that I have literally no desire to continue playing. Yaaay???