Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 19, 2020 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Kikki
  Post subject: Is your MC 'you'?
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:29 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I've been wondering about self-inserts in bokumono games and how people view the MC in Trio. When you play, do you think of that character as you? Or do you create a character, rather than viewing the MC as your avatar?

I once tried using my name (well, I used 'Kikki'...it's my rl nickname) for my feMC in ANB...and I had to start over. It felt TOO WEIRD. I'm only comfortable if I make a character to fit the game, rather than trying to stick a little digital 'me' into their world. I don't feel like I belong there and when I tried using my own name, the heart events I triggered felt unbearably awkward, lol.

I can't explain why it feels so weird to me, but it's sure that I never try to use myself as a model for my character now that I tried it once and it made my skin nearly creep right off me. I have certain personal preferences (like my character can never be blonde) that I do include, but other than eliminating anything that would make me feel downright disassociated from my feMC, she is going to be her own little self. She's Nanami...I'm just customizing her to my liking. :)

What about you guys?

GamerJustin
  Post subject: Re: Is your MC 'you'?
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:32 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

I usually name my farmers after me, but once in a while I'll name them something totally different if I want to creat my own story or something in my head. I know in Story of Seasons I left the MC's name as the default Johnny.

Kateros
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:35 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I'll finally reply to a topic instead of stalking them silently for weeks as my hype grows! Yaay!

I normally play an undefined character, not myself but not a fully formed character with backstory or anything. I like games that to give me a character to play as that's not myself, so in this kind of game my brain kind of flounders with no idea what to do.

So I just name everything after a theme. Like a character from a book, and then all the animals are named after various other characters and animals in the setting! Or an RP character and then I name things after their favorite things...

I honestly kind of want to try building up a character this time and just... have fun with that idea. Like making an RP character, but for the 3oT game!

Also I wanted to say your posts make me always want to post, they are so happy and friendly so I'm... finally posting for once! Yay.

GemiMini
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:35 pm 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

I've always used my own name because it fits within six letters and I am utter « Puppy Doodoo » at coming up with nice-sounding names. But I've never really self-inserted myself into any game. In the first place it's a little hard with SOS because the MC is at least like 5 years older than me currently and can somehow wake up every day on the dot at 6 AM so it's basically just not me at all.

Appearance-wise I have pretty typical Chinese features irl so I just go wild in games. So whatever colours I like I go with. I don't really care about realism or making my MC look like me, I just go with whatever I think is cute.

Ehppy
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:36 pm 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

For me it changes frequently.
In Story of Seasons, it was just a character with a random name I liked. This time I'm thinking I'll be naming them "Ehppy." I rarely use my actual name because that does feel just a bit weird sometimes, to me anyway.
But I think both can be fun. (:

gossipstone
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:36 pm 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

It does feel a little weirder now that I'm grown up, but yeah, I usually play as myself. The first game I was able to play as a girl was MFoMT, and even though Claire and I look nothing alike, I still named her after myself. Then, when HMDSC came out, I specifically chose Pony because she was a brunette like myself haha.

I guess it just really depends on you! The primary reason I picked up my first Harvest Moon game was because I had seen someone compare it to Animal Crossing, so it just seemed natural to me to make the MC be me.

Kibougamine
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:37 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I only use my real name for my main Pokémon game file. Any other game that can accommodate a self-insert, I simply pick a different name and shape the character to my personal preferences. Of course, the character I create will have some of my interests/likes, since I'm comfortable with those things, but they won't be me. I find they're much more relatable that way, especially since for romance events, some of the options you have to choose are not things I'd do/say in real life. So even if I wanted to have the MC be me, that would break the immersion too much.

AllisAurora
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

I don't necessarily put myself as the female MC. I never use my real name (Allis), and use my go-to name for naming characters, which is Aurora (ha, that is how I got my screen name, AllisAurora).

I would also never make Female MC look like me, I just customize her to what I think looks good. I'm partial to making her have pink hair and green eyes. If not, I make her have blonde or red hair. It depends on who I marry though, cause I don't like having my character have the same hair color as my spouse. They end up looking alike in my opinion.

The only thing in this game that will be similar to me is the personality, which I will pick "Animal Lover".

ryume
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:41 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Nah, they can't be me because I hate dirt and bugs and gardening and the smell of manure IRL LOL :lol: City slicker over here! It would have to be a virtual realistic ICU setting for me to even begin to feel like I could connect who I am to a game, and even then, not really likely for me. For the BM series (and most JRPGs I've ever played), I am just a spectator as I watch these adorable little lives unfold thanks to the effort I put into it. I name my characters names I think sound pretty, ie SoS was Jenica and Kendra (I really wish Aurelia would fit). Not sure on 3oT names yet, but I'm looking forward to watching things develop once I start playing.

Blademaster_Aio
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:44 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

I never self insert. I play as the characters (both, male and female), customise them to look as appealing to my tastes as possible, basically I dress them in outfits that I think look good. Then I go after whoever I want. This is why the characters' ages never bothered me. I ship them with the in game MC, but not with myself.

Moon-Cookie
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:45 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I always play as a 'Character' and not myself. Set hair and eye color in a combo I like, pick a name, and we're off! Maybe it's the amateur writer in me, but I love getting into the characters head and making my choices on that. For example, imagining worded reactions to cut scenes and the like, since the MC is voiceless.

So with 3oT, we know they always wanted to be a farmer and are just starting out, so I'm taking that basic plot and running with it. Playing as me always made me feel really odd, because I'm controlling this little person who is rather clearly NOT me. It's more fun and relaxing for myself to treat it as more of a story I'm just helping along and watching at the same time.

WeirdRG
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:47 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

With the older games, I'd name the MC my preferred nickname Dal (and almost exclusively play solely as a girl) when I was younger, but now I'll go with either Lydia or Dakota. Oddly enough, since I do tend to have my second file be male I'll go with Colton, which is apparently what my parents had picked for a boy. And no matter what gender I play as, I always have either purple or dark blue hair :lol:

Kikki
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:55 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Kateros wrote:
I'll finally reply to a topic instead of stalking them silently for weeks as my hype grows! Yaay!

Well, welcome to active posting, then, Kateros! :) (BTW, thank you, that makes me happy.)

Wow, I'm surprised! I thought more people would be saying that they self-insert. And man, you guys sure are active tonight...I tried to post multiple times and every time there were more new comments for me to read. So...a lot of people just insert a few little bits of themself but don't really think of their MC as them. Just like how I can't get myself to ever give my MC blonde hair. (I am the only brunette of the women in my family...my two sisters and my mother are all blonde. The idea of going blonde makes me feel alien in my own skin and somehow it translates even to the game...I can't make her blonde!)

Ryume...I was raised in a greenhouse...I love the smell of soil :) It's probably why I love crops so much. (I also kind of like bugs. More than any pets or any kind of livestock, actually, lol.)

Moon-Cookie wrote:
Maybe it's the amateur writer in me, but I love getting into the characters head and making my choices on that.

Me too, a little bit. Shan suggested I might be able to extend my playtime by writing fan-fiction about the story and my MC (whatever character I make her) and I might try that, with Trio. I am at least going to write out a character outline when I have my hands on the game. You know, give her all the same details the the bachelors and bachelorettes get. :)

Last edited by Kikki on Feb 22, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryume
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 6:02 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

I used to not mind. I used to collect spiders in jars and dig up ant hills lol. Somewhere along the way though... I don't DISLIKE nature by any stretch, and I adore hiking, I just will never have a garden because I don't enjoy that kind of activity. And I have a black thumb :) My character in 3oT will rival the Harvest Goddess herself, however! Now, if they ever make some sort of adorable hospital game...

cinnamon_yuki
Post Posted: Feb 22, 2017 6:04 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I don't usually use my real name in my games. It feels awkward in otome games especially if the settings was in historical Japan or Japanese school setting. XD

I create new identity for them and consider them as separate characters. I tried it once when playing Pokemon and it was not too awkward since it doesn't have heart events. XD

Last edited by cinnamon_yuki on Feb 22, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next