Is your MC 'you'?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Darkling_Lady
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I tend to play as if it is me inside the game, rather than creating a character. I do things as I would if I was there, it can be interesting. :)
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I like the creating a character thing but they don't usually go anywhere outside of my brain. If they do I twist and mold them into something completely different but yeah...they just usually stay in my head, never to be used for anything.
Last edited by Celestrian on Feb 23, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

As much as I like animals and growing things, my farmers are never me. Part of this may be because most of the older HM games I had played portrayed a boy farmer. Even now though, I like playing as both the boy and the girl farmer, giving them names that match their looks and personality I imagine up. Example: I named my female farmer in AP Vanessa, and the male farmer Avery. In TOTT, Austin and Katie. In one file I had in FOMT, I named everything after other video game characters, which made me laugh when "Dr. Eggman" the sheep was pregnant! :lol: I am not sure what names I will decide on for 3oT but I'll probably do some of the more unusual customizations just for fun, so it may be hard for me to settle on a name until I settle on my farmer's backstory in my head.
VictaGirl
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

I usually use short variation of my name, but I don't think I self-insert.
I am very conservative with my appearance IRL, but change it a lot in the game. IRL I would never dye my hair blue or purple, but I like it in game.
As I am older that everybody else, I guess I am playing much younger imaginary friend?
Starrynight28
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I don't think I self-insert. I have one name that I name all of my avatar-like characters in all games (e.g. fire emblem, stardew valley, rune factory, etc.) that's kind of close to my name but a little bit different.

I give them vivid hair and the cutest clothes that match my tastes, but if possible I have them make choices that I would personally make irl...

I dunno. I don't live vicariously through them, though. That definitely makes heart events awkward.
Melody Muse
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I never can play as myself in dating sims or life sims. I feel too weird playing as myself. So instead I always play as "Melody", a farmer who is kind of like me but has purple hair (my favorite color). My farmer has my taste in decor though!
MageDragonfire
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I verrrrry rarely use my real name in games - primarily because my name is nine characters long, and lol six character limits - but it's also because I tend to fashion characters over time. Start with a basic starting point, see where the game nudges them and what my own brain makes of 'em, basically. If I tried to be myself in a game, that would just feel exceptionally odd!

I have roleplayed for years and years, though, so there's probably something of an OOC/IC divide firmly entrenched in my head.
Sufjan Swordsman
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

I usually name/model my main characters after me, but I don't feel like they actually are me.

My male characters end up having to look like what I think looks nice (randomly) or they will end up looking like most of my male characters do haha. (I have an appearance combo that I've been using for a while and it stuck)
PokeFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't find it weird to put your own name? I feel so alone... :(
Joking aside, I always name my first file by my real name, then the 2nd after the MC. If the name was too big I'd shorten it (Lillian -> Lilly).
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

PokeFarmer wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't find it weird to put your own name? I feel so alone... :(
Joking aside, I always name my first file by my real name, then the 2nd after the MC. If the name was too big I'd shorten it (Lillian -> Lilly).
Nope.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've been using my name in video games ever since I started with Pokemon when I was like 8.
keenocuous
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

It seems like a handful of people aren't comfortable self-inserting because of an age difference with the main character. Which I guess is why it feels okay for me as I'm just 16 days into being 21. : P
PokeFarmer wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't find it weird to put your own name? I feel so alone... :(
Nope! I use my name often. Kee is just a shortened version. I don't find using it weird at all.
Melody Muse
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's definitely not weird to use your own name! Heck, my RL friend who plays HM/SoS always uses his real name and then uses my real name on a sheep. In every. Single. Game. (My hair reminds him of a sheep lol.) Some people just like using real names and others don't, that's all.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'm the type that proudly and shamelessly self-inserts in these types of games where they give you the option to do so (SoS, Pokemon, AC, Fire Emblem, etc.) :P

I mean, how I see it, why would I want to play as another character that isn't me when aside from being the player/mastermind behind the "MC", *I* (Well, *virtual* me) want to be the one that's interacting with the characters in-game, not anyone else.

Sure, it's fun to roleplay as an OC or stuff once in a while, but in the end, they'll still be an extension of myself, even if their appearance is different. Basically, I just refuse to play as the "default" character, if there even is one, and will customize them to hell and back just so they'd have more of myself in them.

Trio of Towns makes this slightly harder since you are given a family in-game, but I can really just work around that by saying I'm adopted or something (to explain why my avatar looks different than my in-game family) since they never really state that you're blood related to them, eh. :lol:
Meriberry
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

I used to, with the older games. (the ones where the only customizing you could do was putting on a different outfit on handheld XD) Now though, it's more fun to make someone up and build their story.