* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 19, 2020 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

keenocuous
  Post subject: Spouse Nicknames
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:26 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

In the past and in this game too, once you start going steady with someone you're able to either pick a nickname for them to call you or you can just let them use the name that everyone else calls you. For some people this could either be a cool mechanic or an awkward one and I myself am not the biggest fan of it as it's kinda embarrassing. : P Especially since you're the one picking it out and everything.

What I liked about Rune Factory 4 was that each marriage candidate had a set that you had to pick from and I believe that also changed when you married them as well? I'm just curious what you would all think the marriage candidates for this one would have (and even some goofy ones if you have those too) if they had a set you had to pick from. Or maybe what you input when prompted to or if you just leave it as your normal name. : O I know the game hasn't come out yet, but I'm just curious.

Kikki
  Post subject: Re: Spouse Nicknames
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:36 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I like being able to pick my own nicknames. It's not very natural, but I like the effect, and since I know that it comes of the much more formal way of addressing people in Japan, I don't mind that it's not overly realistic for North America, to be asked to choose a nickname for yourself. Sanjay called my feMC 'Kit' after he married her (Her name was Cricket) and I found it really cute. I also named my character Noella once, even though I don't love the name, because then Rae could call her Ella while they were dating and simply 'Elle' when they married. I really like the feeling of intimacy you get (well, that I get) from having that character only call you by a special name while everyone else is addressing you normally. :)

As for what the candidates in Trio would suggest calling you, or calling them (I found the RF4 suggestions for what to call them too goofy to use, lol. My lord? No thank you, ha ha...) I just wish you could also nickname your spouse. I know the MC doesn't talk, but I'd like to see the name in the speech bubbles change. Like...Ludus to just 'Lu'. (Not that I like that particular nickname, just as an example.) It'd be fun if you got to give them a special name, too. But I suppose that could go awry fairly easily, lol.

ryume
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:37 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

So, I'm always charmed by the idea of cute nicknames, but because the game won't capitalize it the way I want it to be (i.e. If you type "love", it will always be "love, even at the beginning of a sentence), and I can't stand seeing "love" as "Love", I just end up skipping it altogether.

It stinks too, because in RF4 certain words actually had spoken dialogue associated with them (pretty sure if you chose love, Leon would periodically whisper love), but my weird grammar requirements bar me from enjoying this feature.

Edit: So naturally, I just end up teling them to call me by whatever my character's name is.

Last edited by ryume on Feb 23, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Celestrian
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:38 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

My nicknames are always super generic like "Dove" for instance. I need to come up with better ones this time around. :lol:

Beedlebud
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:40 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers

I don't think I've ever not had the spouse just continue calling me by own name. Idk, I've tried to use a nickname like "love" or something and I didn't like it at all. It just sounded off to me.

irulethegalaxy
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:40 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

I don't know if spouse nicknames are in this game or not, but just watch...if we can pick them ourselves I have my spouse calling me something stupid like Bubba. Or resurrect my RF4 name and have him call me Booby.

(Yeah, I know. Rune Factory 4 had a disclaimer not to use anything "inappropriate", so I naturally promptly named my character the most immature thing I could think of that would pass the censor. Mentally, I don't think I've progressed past age 10. However, I never used online or streetpass with RF4, so I didn't mentally scar any small children)

Kikki
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

ryume wrote:
So, I'm always charmed by the idea of cute nicknames, but because the game won't capitalize it the way I want it to be (i.e. If you type "love", it will always be "love, even at the beginning of a sentence), and I can't stand seeing "love" as "Love", I just end up skipping it altogether.

I felt that way too, with RF4's pre-programmed name options, usually for that very reason. It was weird to be called 'darling' as though it were Frey's actual NAME, even tacked onto sentences where an endearment didn't seem all that natural...and the capitalization where there shouldn't be any (or none where there should be) really bothered me, too, lol. I only like nicknaming if I get to choose it and I simply get to input a diminutive of my character's regular name, such as the Noella to Ella to Elle thing. :)

Rancherita
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:51 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I just imagined poor Dr. Ford having to call my MC something mildly scandalous, like "sexy", in front of other characters and I'm kinda having a giggling fit.

Haven't even met the poor AI yet and I'm already finding ways to make his pixels blush, I'm so mean lol

Nurylon
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

I've never used the spousal nickname feature. It looks really awkward to me to use 'as intended', and afterall, I don't use cutesy names for either of my irl partners, and they don't use cutesy names for me. The closest is that one of them calls me 'Lopes' instead of Nury. (from 'Nurylope', an old nickname combining Nury and Antelope.)

The other thing that stops me from giving my game partners a custom nickname is the fact that I might change my name at any time... So I can't really use it to just do a 'normal' nickname, lest I regret it later.

I had a spousal nickname for Lillie, though! I called her Lils :3 There was no in-game feature for me to do anything with it, ofc.

I always laugh when people make their spouse call them 'Master' or something.

Autumn_Song
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 5:08 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Keep the name, or nickname. MFoMT had a set of options for each candidate. Iirc one of Kai's was something like 'pretty coral'. :lol: Picking your own can be fun but yeah the capitalizing it wrong or not capitalizing bothers me, so. Same name or a variation of my farmer's name.

gossipstone
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 5:12 pm 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Autumn_Song wrote:
Keep the name, or nickname. MFoMT had a set of options for each candidate. Iirc one of Kai's was something like 'pretty coral'. :lol: Picking your own can be fun but yeah the capitalizing it wrong or not capitalizing bothers me, so. Same name or a variation of my farmer's name.

You're right haha. I actually had him call me that because it seemed so out of place compared to the other candidates' nicknames.

When I was younger I used to have my spouse call me by a nickname, but as of late I don't do it anymore. As others have mentioned, it can be pretty weird if you just want to use a general term but the capitalization gets messed up. I also don't like being called by the term of endearment 24/7. Maybe if they switched it up to where your actual name would be used in events or something, but it was really bizarre to me when, during the pregnancy event, your spouse would refer to you by your pet name in front of everyone else there.

Mecha-Lollipop
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 5:31 pm 

I'm dating Ludeus and have him call me Anata. My FeMC is named Marzia. No idea what I'll switch it to when we get married though. Maybe MarMar.
I loved the nickname feature in RF4 and wish they would do kind of like naming your children in 3oT where you can use your partner's suggestion OR pick your own. I just want to see what some of them would suggest.
In the English release I think I'll name my MC things I can make nicknames from easier to make things simple.

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 6:48 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I always leave it as my name until after marriage.

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm 
Anonymous Fish

[quote="Mecha-Lollipop"]I'm dating Ludeus and have him call me Anata. My FeMC is named Marzia. No idea what I'll switch it to when we get married though. Maybe MarMar.
I loved the nickname feature in RF4 and wish they would do kind of like naming your children in 3oT where you can use your partner's suggestion OR pick your own. I just want to see what some of them would suggest.
In the English release I think I'll name my MC things I can make nicknames from easier to make things simple.[/quote]

Trio of Towns do have that feature though. Your spouse suggests three names and you can pick your own too.

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Feb 24, 2017 1:21 am 
Anonymous Fish

I wish I could choose Darling or Sweetie as my nickname, but that darn 6 character limit.
I'll probably end up going with Honey like I did last SoS. Maybe Dear.

I can picture Kasumi saying either without breaking character.