XSeed is streaming Trio of Towns at 2:30 pst

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Beedlebud wrote:
Celestrian wrote:It's probably just me but I don't see the appeal of someone else playing a HM/SoS game unless it's someone I know very well. Also since I'm going to get the game myself in a few days, then it could potentially ruin the experience if I already know about a lot of stuff that's in there.
I mean...I don't really understand spoiler-fear in this particular series. It's Harvest Moon. Most of what you're going to be doing in the game is exactly the same as what you've done in the past. And there's very little story to speak of. Which is why I don't have any problems with spoiling anything and everything about the game.

To be fair, the last SOS game did have one pretty big potential spoiler in it. Which comprised pretty much the entirety of any story the game had. I can see people being upset about learning that accidentally in advance.

I think it's less about "spoilers" and more about wanting to go in totally fresh. If you go it knowing that Albert loves artichokes and despises sundaes, you don't get to discover that for yourself (obviously fictional character is obviously fictional). Some people won't be bothered by that at all, but some people will be upset. We all have our quirks :)
Beedlebud
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Yeah I was thinking about that as I posted. It was the only thing that would qualify under a legit spoiler imo. That's fair enough.
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Beedlebud wrote:Yeah I was thinking about that as I posted. It was the only thing that would qualify under a legit spoiler imo. That's fair enough.
I don't think there is anything of that nature in 3oT, but I can definitely see people not wanting to know what's needed for the various unlocks, or knowing tons about the villagers. Then again, some people want to know everything in advance, too. Luckily, spoiler tags mean everyone is happy.

Spoiler:
Unless you're like me and you can't EVER leave a spoiler tag unclicked. Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back ^_^
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Before I nod off, I did happen to see the names of the starting Personality Traits in English:

Animal Lover
Fisher
Sports Enthusiast
Tycoon (Wealthy/Millionaire)
Charmer (Popular)

I hope they add it to YouTube before I wake up. I'd like to be able to catch all the little things that I wasn't quite sure on my localization guesses, like when a plant legitimately has four different English names.

(Campanula is Bellflower, for example.)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't think not wanting to be 'spoiled' on Trio is strange at all. To me, it's similar to when you play your second file. It's just nowhere near as fun as your first, because you've seen it all already, excepting the few events that were behind dating/marriage lock with a specific candidate.

That's why I didn't watch the stream. I want to 'see it all' firsthand when I have the game and have it feel fresh. There are lots of reasons I'd like to have watched it, but the reason why I did not want to watch it was more important to me. :)

Arcy wrote:(Campanula is Bellflower, for example.)
I always thought 'bellflower' was rather a pretty name, but I've known is as campanula since I was little and the switch in my head just won't flip. (I tend to know a lot of plants by their Latin names rather than their prettier, cuter, or more fanciful 'common' names.)

I do wish that they had translated the 'sports enthusiast' personality type as 'athlete/athletic'. I am NOOOOOT a sports enthusiast, but 'athlete', at least, I could make an argument for, lol. Eh, puny issue, doesn't matter. :)
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I do wish that they had translated the 'sports enthusiast' personality type as 'athlete/athletic'. I am NOOOOOT a sports enthusiast, but 'athlete', at least, I could make an argument for, lol. Eh, puny issue, doesn't matter. :)
That and Fisher instead of Angler? This is exactly why I often wonder if XSEED staff has members who for some reason are not conversant in colloquial English. You know, the language they're supposed to be localizing the game TO.

I don't want to blame anyone, but it seems like Tom really likes literal translations and puns. Dear XSEED, I volunteer to be a Tom-filter, free of charge, when the next game comes out.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'll just convert it in my head, to something I 'get'. I don't think cycling is a sport, for example, but it's certainly a physical activity that can be competed at...so I'll just try to convert to thinking of even solitary activities like cycling, hiking, and so on, as 'sports'...and then 'sports enthusiast' will be a better category in my eyes, lol. But I still think 'athlete' would have made more sense.

I'm the type who prefers that the same idea is conveyed by translation than that the literal closest-equivalent-word is. But maybe in Japanese that personality type was literally supposed to be sports enthusiast? Like...people who enjoy going to football games or something? Seeing as how it has to do with stamina, I figured athletic would have covered a broader range of people. You can be a sports enthusiast and be horribly unfit. You can also be really very athletic and still not be a 'sports enthusiast', after all...at least in my opinion. But it's pretty hard to be an athlete without being athletic...that's my reasoning for thinking that 'athlete' would have been a better name for that personality.

But it's not like it matters, lol. It is kind of curious though, why they make some of the decisions they do. After all, they initially made the decision that it was a good idea to make Inari's English name be 'Vixie', just so that the three little magical people would have the same 'ie' ending on their name. (Remember the explosion of horror and dismay over that one? heh heh...)
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^ Not to mention that "Inari", when spoken with Japanese inflections already ends in that (or an incredibly similar) sound. And I don't know about you guys, but when there's a whole dang village thats so obviously "Not-Japan" (teehee), I at least try and pronounce everything according to that language's rules.
AllisAurora
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote:
Kikki wrote:I do wish that they had translated the 'sports enthusiast' personality type as 'athlete/athletic'. I am NOOOOOT a sports enthusiast, but 'athlete', at least, I could make an argument for, lol. Eh, puny issue, doesn't matter. :)
That and Fisher instead of Angler? This is exactly why I often wonder if XSEED staff has members who for some reason are not conversant in colloquial English. You know, the language they're supposed to be localizing the game TO.

I don't want to blame anyone, but it seems like Tom really likes literal translations and puns. Dear XSEED, I volunteer to be a Tom-filter, free of charge, when the next game comes out.

I wonder if Tom will end up translating Woofio's dialogue for the DLC :P
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

AllisAurora wrote: I wonder if Tom will end up translating Woofio's dialogue for the DLC :P
Doggone it, that's the only suitable punishment.

Now just read the bolded.
AllisAurora
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote:
AllisAurora wrote: I wonder if Tom will end up translating Woofio's dialogue for the DLC :P
Doggone it, that's the only suitable punishment.

Now just read the bolded.
Lol, though if he translates it, it might be even crazier.
ryoko11
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

According to the stream Tom is no longer working at Xseed. They mentioned Tom while trying to trigger a specific line from a Westown vendor that he translated, and when they were explaining Tom to the viewers they called him an ex-employee. :(
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think the terms are perfectly fine imo.
ryoko11 wrote:According to the stream Tom is no longer working at Xseed. They mentioned Tom while trying to trigger a specific line from a Westown vendor that he translated, and when they were explaining Tom to the viewers they called him an ex-employee. :(
Wow, really?! That's incredibly sad :/ Must have been a recent thing I guess.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

ryoko11 wrote:According to the stream Tom is no longer working at Xseed. They mentioned Tom while trying to trigger a specific line from a Westown vendor that he translated, and when they were explaining Tom to the viewers they called him an ex-employee. :(
They actually said he was working on another game, which I don't know if it is being handled by XSEED. I don't remember the name of the game, though.

They also mentioned this, his AMA on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/xseed ... b8fd/page5

So he was working for XSEED as of 22 hours ago.
RopeMaidenKirie wrote:I think the terms are perfectly fine imo.
I ageee, they're perfectly fine terms. It is human nature to always want better, and to gripe a bit. Some of the traits were really localized, Tycoon and Charmer, which makes it a little bit discordant to have Fisher and Sports Enthusiast instead of Angler and Athletic.

ETA: I don't mean to imply that some localization is "true" or "false" here, the italics were simply to indicate/place emphasis on the fact that the English word(s) chosen are very different from a more literal translation.
Last edited by Arcy on Feb 25, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh just a misunderstanding, thank goodness. Tom's been a part of XSEED forever and it would be hard to imagine him not around there anymore :(