* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently May 10, 2021 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Blademaster_Aio
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 5:48 am 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

So in SoS and even in RF4, the characters who dislike grapes (Agate and Clorica) both say it's too much work to peel the grapes.

But why peel grapes? We eat them with the skin. In fact, I was kinda shocked to hear someone actually peeled grapes to begin with.

It's probably different in other parts of the world, so I just wanted to ask if people actually peel their grapes, or if the grapes in Japan are a type you can't eat without peeling or something.

If a character in trio dislikes grapes, it's probably gonna have the same reason, huh?

PokeFarmer
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 5:52 am 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

When I was younger, I used to peel grapes and then eat the skin and then the inside. Don't ask me why, I just did.
I'm guessing Agate and Clorica don't like the skin.

tobebeatrice
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 5:54 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

My word, yes. That comment threw me too! Why are you peeling grapes Agate? To be fair, I had a roommate who didn't believe potato or apple peels were edible. Some people are just different.

HlaineL
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 5:56 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Not sure about all grapes but when I went to an onsen that came with the fancy seasonal meals they had these huge grapes at dessert (only one or 2) about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and the skin was quite thick so you wouldn't want to eat it with the skin on + it was fairly easy to peel. My sister in japan also bought some of the big grapes at a local festival I think and they were also this big size and ~specialty grapes~

JunkerFarmer
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 6:27 am 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

HlaineL wrote:
Not sure about all grapes but when I went to an onsen that came with the fancy seasonal meals they had these huge grapes at dessert (only one or 2) about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and the skin was quite thick so you wouldn't want to eat it with the skin on + it was fairly easy to peel. My sister in japan also bought some of the big grapes at a local festival I think and they were also this big size and ~specialty grapes~

So the grapes in BokuMono must be the large kind, then! Of course, in RF4, they're always tiny grapes in bunches, and I've never grown them in BokuMono so I'm not really sure how big they are in comparison to one's sprite, but that's a good explanation!

Kross lover/fan
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 7:09 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

This might be stupid of me but I never knew that there was different sizes of grapes.
I've only seem green and purple grapes where I live and they are grown bunched together and I've never once seen anyone peel them.

Actually 'pealing the grape' is term for kissing (at least where I live), so when I read it in game I pretty confused ^^'

Nurse Fin
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 7:25 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

HlaineL wrote:

Yeah, all the grapes I ate in Japan had really thick skins and big seeds (and would stain your fingers!). They were delicious though...

Mecha-Lollipop
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 9:21 am 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

The skin on grapes can be difficult for some to digest. I had to peel grapes for my son as a baby because his body couldn't break them down at all and caused his stomach a lot of discomfort.
Due to that those comments struck me as normal.

Arcy
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 9:46 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I thought this was a weird idea for a thread but I'm learning a lot of things! Just goes to show how talking about something someone might find silly can really open your eyes. I always thought it was a reference to Grapes of Luxury Trope before.

ChaosAzerothCat
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 9:49 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

PokeFarmer wrote:
When I was younger, I used to peel grapes and then eat the skin and then the inside. Don't ask me why, I just did.
I'm guessing Agate and Clorica don't like the skin.

OMG I thought I was the only one!

And the peeling grapes has been a thing in media since I was a kid at least, and probably longer. In all kinds made by all kinds of people, about all sorts of areas. When I was a kid it was used more for portraying someone being pampered/spoiled/picky/rich/royalty/etc. Not sure why.

EDIT:
Welp I was ninja'd lol

Dragonest
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 9:51 am 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

When i was a kid, i use to peel my grapes and take out the pips (seeds) but now i just eat the whole thing.

Sometimes the skin does get a little bit chewy though, so i can understand.

Celestrian
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 10:02 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Kross lover/fan wrote:
This might be stupid of me but I never knew that there was different sizes of grapes.
I've only seem green and purple grapes where I live and they are grown bunched together and I've never once seen anyone peel them.

Actually 'pealing the grape' is term for kissing (at least where I live), so when I read it in game I pretty confused ^^'

Same, except for the kissing part. I never noticed that dialogue though since I didn't talk to Clorica much.

FoolishGhoul
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 10:17 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Oh yeah I remember reading that and being a bit confused, but realizing they could have been talking about something else or whatever. I tend not to get too hung up on things like that and ignore/forget about them quickly, but I remember being confused as well for a bit. Though I have heard about the skins being hard for some people to digest

Nurse Fin
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 10:18 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Dragonest wrote:
When i was a kid, i use to peel my grapes and take out the pips (seeds) but now i just eat the whole thing.

Sometimes the skin does get a little bit chewy though, so i can understand.

Yeah the skins are thick, rubbery, and *bitter*! And the color is almost black. Concord grapes on steroids. I don't think anyone in Japan eats the skins.

Most American grapes I've seen in supermarkets are the seedless and practically-skinless variety that you just pop in your mouth and eat. Those don't exist in Japan, so that's where all the skin peeling dialogue comes from.

Blademaster_Aio
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2017 1:53 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

So that's what it was. Bitter, thick skinned grapes. It's kinda amazing how we get completely different types of the same fruit that changes our experience of eating them.