Does Kasumi ever change her stance on men?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Jeunesse
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

this entire topic made me like kasumi more than i originally did-- which is saying something.

also ten points to anon for that educated, fearless response :wink:
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

more like common sense, but same difference I suppose.
ConfusedBlonde wrote:obviously kasumi was supposed to be a lesbian but the whole thing got canned at the last minute.
that or a radical feminist, though the two often overlap.

speaking of though, has anyone heard of any progress XSEED has made in getting Marvelous to include actual same-« Chicken Hugging » marriage in the game? last I'd heard they were pushing, but that's it. clearly it didn't work since it isn't in this game, but I'm curious if anything else has been said. she certainly has the makings for a lesbian, so it makes me wonder if they were actually thinking about it while making the characters, but chickened out before release.
Jeunesse wrote:this entire topic made me like kasumi more than i originally did-- which is saying something.

also ten points to anon for that educated, fearless response :wink:
thank you! and me too tbh. I haven't unlocked any of the other villages yet so I had to look up who that was, but I will certainly make it a point to befriend her now.
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I feel like the word "hate" is hyperbole, she doesn't seem to hate the guts of the guys in town. Came across more like a trust and avoidance thing.

Also wasn't it also related to bullying, or something? I don't remember but I thought I read something like that. I find that pretty relatable, since I was bullied when I was little for being a smart girl but i snapped them in half in retaliation :p It wasn't enough to give me a deep-seated resentment of men in adulthood but I think I understand how Kasumi feels.
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote:I feel like the word "hate" is hyperbole, she doesn't seem to hate the guts of the guys in town. Came across more like a trust and avoidance thing.
I seem to recall the literal translation for the name of one of the friend events was "The Teacher Who Hates Men."
ConfusedBlonde
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:more like common sense, but same difference I suppose.
ConfusedBlonde wrote:obviously kasumi was supposed to be a lesbian but the whole thing got canned at the last minute.
don't drag her name through the mud like that smh

anyway i haven't heard anything more than sorry excuses for marvelous about same « Chicken Hugging » dating/marriage options in future games. the last thing i heard was that they were "considering including it" but it would "take a lot of extra coding and more character design" or some other lame excuse like that (just make everyone romance-able no matter the MC's gender...... duh....). If they end up putting it in some day that would be awesome, but at the moment i'm not getting my gay little hopes up.
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I haven't played the English version yet, but I guess it could be translated like that? I think of the word "hate" like wishing someone dead kinda strong, but obviously it's used for much lighter situations like "I hate homework because it wastes my time". And Kasumi obviously isn't wishing anyone dead, even though she trains with a weapon.

Maybe it's because I'm a girl but I don't really see the problem, but it's cool to see people freaking out about a female character now? It's usually always the male characters who are sociopaths, serial killers, abusers etc. because they want to hold hands with their girlfriend or something. Equality!
Lccorp2
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote:I feel like the word "hate" is hyperbole, she doesn't seem to hate the guts of the guys in town. Came across more like a trust and avoidance thing.

Also wasn't it also related to bullying, or something? I don't remember but I thought I read something like that. I find that pretty relatable, since I was bullied when I was little for being a smart girl but i snapped them in half in retaliation :p It wasn't enough to give me a deep-seated resentment of men in adulthood but I think I understand how Kasumi feels.
I don't believe so. I currently have her at green flower for purposes of the confession thread, and bullying hasn't come up in any of her daily lines that I've come across so far. I could've missed some - people have a huge number of lines these days, which is great, but it makes missing some very easy to do.

Most of the people in Tsukyya are pretty nice to her - in the first friend event, Ginjiro pretty much apologises profusely after realising he's entered her little circle of personal space. As far as I can tell, it's just her father, because most of her lines about him that I've seen do give the "f- you, Dad!" impression, at least from this side.

It's a sort of pity because I do enjoy the strict, no-nonsense personalities of both her and Ford.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

ConfusedBlonde wrote:
Anonymous Fish wrote:more like common sense, but same difference I suppose.
don't drag her name through the mud like that smh

anyway i haven't heard anything more than sorry excuses for marvelous about same « Chicken Hugging » dating/marriage options in future games. the last thing i heard was that they were "considering including it" but it would "take a lot of extra coding and more character design" or some other lame excuse like that (just make everyone romance-able no matter the MC's gender...... duh....). If they end up putting it in some day that would be awesome, but at the moment i'm not getting my « homosexual » little hopes up.
you can consider it that way, but it seems accurate. hating all men, "don't talk to me without a good reason" (I assume the savage part was hyperbole, but if it isn't that just makes the point that much more) that all sounds like a lesbian man hating radical feminist to me.

that sucks, but I'm not surprised tbh. and as much as I'd LOVE to have actually gay characters in the game, I'd be happy with everyone being "player-sexual", and that really wouldn't need much coding. the whole "more character designs" worries me though. the ONE canon gay man we got was drag queen, so if they feel like they're gonna have to design even more characters to specifically be gay, that tells me any gay characters they make will most likely be sterotypes (if Kasumi was originally intended to be gay, though she isn't butch, this is the epitome of the "angry man-hating dyke" stereotype) so tbh? it'd be better if they just made everyone player-sexual. easier on them, and won't result in offensive stereotypes. everyone wins~
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

The name of the "The Teacher Who Hates Men" event is translated in the localized version as "The Teacher Who Can't Stand Men" instead but I dunno. Kasumi talks about how much she dislikes men basically every other time you talk to her (at least as the male MC, which is probably why but still) so while "hate" might not be the right word, it's definitely more than just dislike considering how incredibly often she brings it up. I've seen 4 or so of her events and in every single one, she talked about how much she distrusts men. Sometimes it's not even relevant to the event itself.
Lccorp2

Post  Posted:

The Ninja wrote:The name of the "The Teacher Who Hates Men" event is translated in the localized version as "The Teacher Who Can't Stand Men" instead but I dunno. Kasumi talks about how much she dislikes men basically every other time you talk to her (at least as the male MC, which is probably why but still) so while "hate" might not be the right word, it's definitely more than just dislike considering how incredibly often she brings it up. I've seen 4 or so of her events and in every single one, she talked about how much she distrusts men. Sometimes it's not even relevant to the event itself.
Which reminds me - I believe one of the things you hit upon here is that it's a monomania. Imagine someone who couldn't stop talking about politics, for example. Or something as innocuous as how he or she likes starfruit. Eventually it gets irritating, and the character seems more and more like a caricature than an actual person - which is detrimental, since interpersonal relationships are a core element of games like these.

Komari may be a tomboy, but she doesn't inject it into every other sentence she says. Ford may be a clean freak, but he doesn't chide you for being dirty all the time.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I triggered her intro shortly after seeing this thread and she was very polite and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know the FeMC. Is it a different story if you're playing as the male MC? I was under the impression that the intros (aside from a couple lines, like Wayne saying how pretty you are) and the friend events were the same regardless of gender.
Blademaster_Aio
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I haven't triggered her friend events on my file, so I can't tell you...

But she treats the male and female MC completely differently. She's really nice if you play as a girl.
Autumn_Song
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Listen, I'm a girl and it bothers me because it falls into the whole "I disliked x till I met the super special MC" or "I thought x about y till I met the super special MC" kind of thing and it personally makes me uncomfortable, whether it's a guy saying he didn't think girls could do super tough farm work till he saw me or a girl saying she hates all men till she loved me.

It's the kind of thing that seems like maybe some more thought should've been put into it? Like if you're gonna make this such a big thing for Kasumi, the reasons behind it perhaps should be more elaborated upon. From what it sounds like with her dad, it certainly does make sense that she has a distrust of men. Though dislike and distrust are not necessarily synonymous, and if they intended for it to be more a wariness and avoidance of men versus a true dislike/hatred, that should've perhaps been clarified more.

Though yeah I get the whole vibe of this is probably how a lesbian character would end up in one of these games, which I would not be okay with. In real life I wouldn't date someone who hated all men, since I do sometimes like men, why would I want to in a game? Again, that's just me personally.

Anyways, I do get the wariness of men, I guess. I tend to be wary of men, too. That doesn't mean I'm gonna tell every man I meet that I hate men. It's a game though. Of course she's gonna do that, the same way Soseki or Klaus harped on about how much older than the MC they were. I can't fathom why, but that's just the way it is.

I hope some of my thoughts made sense here. :shock:
Beedlebud

Post  Posted:

gossipstone wrote:I triggered her intro shortly after seeing this thread and she was very polite and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know the FeMC. Is it a different story if you're playing as the male MC? I was under the impression that the intros (aside from a couple lines, like Wayne saying how pretty you are) and the friend events were the same regardless of gender.
Nah she's very abrupt and Komari has to intercept and say that she's not fond of men and that it was a "miracle" that she was able to get her to come greet you in the first place.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Beedlebud wrote:
gossipstone wrote:I triggered her intro shortly after seeing this thread and she was very polite and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know the FeMC. Is it a different story if you're playing as the male MC? I was under the impression that the intros (aside from a couple lines, like Wayne saying how pretty you are) and the friend events were the same regardless of gender.
Nah she's very abrupt and Komari has to intercept and say that she's not fond of men and that it was a "miracle" that she was able to get her to come greet you in the first place.
Oh lol. It's neat to see the level of detail that they put into stuff like this. I'll have to play a male file soon to see the other differences.