What to sell to make money (gold)?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Dearie
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

I'm assuming the "g" stands for "gold." :lol:

I've been hoarding most things and shipping out very little, if anything at all, but I need money to buy things, as you do.

There are so many items to keep up with that I don't know what's best to sell.

I don't have any farm circles other than a big barn, a small coop, and a silo. I'm in early summer and I have Westown to rank C, the other two are still at E. And I'm in seedling mode.

Also, which farm circles other than the barn and coop are the most important? Or rather, which should I go for first?
Blademaster_Aio
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

How to make money:

Tip 1: Participate in animal festival. This will unlock treats in the animal shop. Buy chewy treats. Get feed maker farm circle. Make sweet fooder. Increase animal productivity. Makes money.

Tip 2: Sell all gems you find. You are now rich.

What you should prioritise is watering can and hammer tool upgrades, and the maker machines like seed maker.

Upgrade your watering can. I cannot stress this enough. Upgrading the can allows you to water more in less time and stamina, and allows you to grow more crops.

Honestly, I earned money once I stopped hoarding animal products. The wool sells for a lot. Raise animal productivity.
WPrincess
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Blademaster_Aio wrote:How to make money:

Tip 1: Participate in animal festival. This will unlock treats in the animal shop. Buy chewy treats. Get feed maker farm circle. Make sweet fooder. Increase animal productivity. Makes money.

Tip 2: Sell all gems you find. You are now rich.

What you should prioritise is watering can and hammer tool upgrades, and the maker machines like seed maker.

Upgrade your watering can. I cannot stress this enough. Upgrading the can allows you to water more in less time and stamina, and allows you to grow more crops.

Honestly, I earned money once I stopped hoarding animal products. The wool sells for a lot. Raise animal productivity.

Wait, so we need Sweet Fodder Chewy Treats to increase animal productivity? I honestly just found out on this forum that treats increase animal productivity! I thought treats were only for affection so I never bothered spending money on them ugh ..
Last edited by WPrincess on Mar 06, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConfusedBlonde
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yooooo don't sell gems you're gonna need them some day. Hoard them.
LiterallyRyan
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

ConfusedBlonde wrote:Yooooo don't sell gems you're gonna need them some day. Hoard them.
Oh yes, this is a common HM/SoS dilemma; you need money badly and the gems you have can grab you 3,000+ but they don't spawn much and you may need them soon for upgrades and farm circles, what do? If someone is really scrounging for money they could sell everything they get 1 day and then save everything the next, alternating like such for about a week or, what I did when I was super poor, just simply sell everything every day for a week with the exception of Iron, Black Rock and Bricks (hoard those!). Don't worry too much early on about gems as you can do without most of the stuff that requires them.

Don't forget you can eat meals with villagers to recover stamina and sometimes even get some bonus effects, this will save you some cash. And of course do every single part-time job you can, especially Ford's test subjects jobs and the cleaning jobs as you get to keep what you clean up and you can nab some glittering stones and such.
wisnumurti
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Yeah, you can always save before mining and then mine until you find valuable ore or what you needed to upgrade the tools and save and repeat the process.
As information, you need to upgrade the hammer effectiveness to have access to two mining nodes in westown and make it easier for you to get more valuable ores.
Dearie
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Thanks! I do have one hammer upgrade, and I'm trying to find more rubies to upgrade again.

Which gems don't I need? I am not concerned with decorating, so I'd like to keep the gems needed for farm circles and tool upgrades and sell the ones that are only used to build something with no function.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I tend to get a lot of peridot and topaz and sell most of them, don't know if they're needed for anything important. (I don't think they are.) I know you need at least some rubies, emeralds and amethysts (and a few moonstones I think, and some crystal) but there's just so much to remember, most of it is already leaking out of my brain.
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

You can buy tons of Milk from Westown, cook it into Hot Milk, and then sell it for profit. There's a few other recipes that are better for this but they require stronger links with the other towns.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That makes pretty tiny amounts of profit, though...the hot milk thing. If you have gotten your cooking up to the 3rd level it'll go up a star and you'll make 43 gold per recipe (as opposed to LOSING 5 G.) but even if you brand your drink category up once to make more money, an entire stack of 99 hot milks will only gain you about 7,000 G, and you need to have nearly 25,000 G to buy that stack in the first place. It's not a very good money-making trick...more of a cooking-skill-levelling trick without losing money. But raising your cooking skill helps you make more money on ALL cooked dishes you make by raising their star quality, so it's worth doing. Money wise, though...it does gain a bit of money if you've got enough to buy a stack and it doesn't take up much time, so probably worth doing if you have your drinks category branded up at least once by the festival. It could be quite profitable if you've branded up more than once, of course...all the way to gold or platinum.

I've made most of my money from selling milk straight to fill by-product requirements from town rank locks and Farm tip stuff. A bit from selling gems, and a decent amount from selling a large portion of my hoarded crops all at once when one of the requirements demanded I sell 1000 crops or animal products. But I still haven't unlocked late game stuff, yet, I'm only on Spring 1 of year 2...the money making strategies should continue to rise. I'm still nowhere near rich enough to buy everything I want/need...but I've been hoarding everything and not selling it, which makes it hard to make money, lol. (But it means I almost never get stuck on a lock, at least.)
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I tend to get a lot of peridot and topaz and sell most of them, don't know if they're needed for anything important. (I don't think they are.) I know you need at least some rubies, emeralds and amethysts (and a few moonstones I think, and some crystal) but there's just so much to remember, most of it is already leaking out of my brain.
Whoops I've been selling emeralds because I assumed they had no purpose lol.

I think the topaz are used to create the seed maker, going off the guide, anyway. I found that out much to my dismay last night haha.

I'd also been selling the maple branches around Westown but found out you need like 35 of those for the second house upgrade (if you want a Western style house), so I'd maybe look at what you need for the different upgrades, buildings, and so on before selling everything you get.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I made the seed maker as soon as I could get my hands on it so I don't need to save any for it any more. And peridot and topaz were the only gems that came frequently out of the two nodes I could hit with my basic hammer in the early stages. Even with selling a lot of them I still had enough to spare.

You need 15 emeralds to make the Maiden with Shield statue, which gives a boost to the quality of everything produced by any of your makers...most importantly, imo, the Seed Maker...meaning your seeds get better every time you make them. It's a big priority for me, but if you don't care to have it then emeralds are not important to keep, as far as I know.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to hang on to a couple emeralds, then.
Dearie
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:That makes pretty tiny amounts of profit, though...the hot milk thing. If you have gotten your cooking up to the 3rd level it'll go up a star and you'll make 43 gold per recipe (as opposed to LOSING 5 G.) but even if you brand your drink category up once to make more money, an entire stack of 99 hot milks will only gain you about 7,000 G, and you need to have nearly 25,000 G to buy that stack in the first place. It's not a very good money-making trick...more of a cooking-skill-levelling trick without losing money. But raising your cooking skill helps you make more money on ALL cooked dishes you make by raising their star quality, so it's worth doing. Money wise, though...it does gain a bit of money if you've got enough to buy a stack and it doesn't take up much time, so probably worth doing if you have your drinks category branded up at least once by the festival. It could be quite profitable if you've branded up more than once, of course...all the way to gold or platinum.
Thanks for explaining!

So is buying the milk from Westown and then making hot milk a good way to level up your cooking if you don't have a lot of money to spend on things to cook? I mean, would that be the best dish if I am focusing on leveling up my cooking skill?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

In my opinion, hot milk is the very best recipe to use to level your cooking skill. It's available early in the game, as is the milk itself to buy in Westown, and even without leveling your skill or your brand you will only lose 5 G per recipe for the first 100 hot milks you make...and ever after that you will make at least 43 G in profit because your star rank will rise by a half star and make the recipe worth more. But note that it only works that way in SEEDLING. If you are playing veteran it would take longer to stop making a loss, as everything is more expensive to buy.

When I buy a stack of 99 milk from Westown it costs me something like 24,200 G and I turn around and sell it after making all those milks into hot milk. That helps level my cooking skill, and when I sell it with my drinks brand now up to bronze, I get about 31,200 G for that stack of 99 hot milks. So I made 7,000 in profit on it while levelling my skill. That's how it is for me right now with Bronze brand on seedling, anyway.

If you want to see more discussion on Hot Milk and other possible recipes to try this with, go HERE. :)