Pushing cows?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

What is the trick to this? I went to a large barn and have two cows and a sheep in it. Well it just took me two game hours to get the dang things out the door. Seems they always stop short of the door and get at such an angle that I have to back them back into the barn and try pushing them at the door again (seriously why couldn't this door had been twice as big?).

Getting them back into the barn is a little easier but still a chore.

And it's not that these animals don't like me or are new. The cows are producing 5 star milk now, they love me. But I swear they are fighting me tooth and nail to get through that tiny doorway, always hitting the corner or that table with the ledger right beside it.

I figure I got to be doing something wrong. What's the trick to pushing these critters? I'm about to the point where I'm going to put my small barns back out and move them back to those just so it's easier to push them out. That or just leave them in the barn forever. Is there a down side to just feeding them fodder indoors every day?

Thanks.
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Ah yeah I always get my cows stuck by the stupid desk thing by the door. Kind of a pain.

My only solution to it is that I'm waiting for a certain dog breed to be unlocked so that I can just get them to herd the livestock outside. Otherwise I just steer clear of the desk for now
BlueTrillium1
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Yeah I swear pushing livestock in and out of the barn has been a time-wasting hassle in just about every single BM/HM/SoS game (until pets or tools are unlocked that make it easier). I just left all my animals inside and got a herding dog as soon as possible heh. I got the Jack Russel dog just because it was available at the time and now he's taking care of it. xD But yeah, I never bother pushing the animals outside myself. Normal care with brushing and such seemed to do just fine to keep their stress down.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

BlueTrillium1 wrote:Yeah I swear pushing livestock in and out of the barn has been a time-wasting hassle in just about every single BM/HM/SoS game (until pets or tools are unlocked that make it easier). I just left all my animals inside and got a herding dog as soon as possible heh. I got the Jack Russel dog just because it was available at the time and now he's taking care of it. xD But yeah, I never bother pushing the animals outside myself. Normal care with brushing and such seemed to do just fine to keep their stress down.
Ok can you explain to me how the dog works and is it only certain dog types? I have a pet house now but haven't got a pet yet.

Honestly I assumed we'd eventually get a bell to tell them to go out and in. But if so I don't have that unlocked yet.
BlueTrillium1
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

There is supposedly a bell eventually but I do not intend to get it. I'm gonna stick to pets.

What you want to do when buying a pet for herding is just make sure it has the Herding/Recovery skill. Any pet can have it - if you want to have a chihuahua or a little kitty doing your herding, go for it!

All you need to do is go to the animal shop (I went to Westown - the shop is on the right-hand end of the semicircle of shops in the lower area) and go to 'Buy Animals'. The available pets are there (they are down listed below the livestock). Check the one that you want and it will show what its skill will be. If it does not say "Herding/Recovery" press B to go back a screen, then enter "Buy Animals" again and check the pet you want again. The skill will change randomly, so just go in and out until the pet you want has the skill you want.

Once you have bought the pet it will automatically go to the pet house (if you have more than one empty pet house I think it asks you which one to send it to) and will automatically start taking animals out on sunny days (and sending them back in in the evenings).

You will want to buy pet food ("Buy Items" at the same animal vendor where you bought the pet) and put it in the pet bowl that is in front of the pet house. The bowl holds up to 7 days worth so if you want, you can put a whole week's worth in at once and not worry about it the rest of the week.

The pet will only herd the number of animals equal to its skill level (so at first will only herd one animal). But this will gradually increase on its own the longer you own the pet. No input from you required!

And that's it! Pet hearts raise super super slow, but hearts do not affect the pet skill. If you really want, you can literally completely ignore the herding pet other than filling its food dish and it will still do its job and gain skill levels.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

BlueTrillium1 wrote:There is supposedly a bell eventually but I do not intend to get it. I'm gonna stick to pets.

What you want to do when buying a pet for herding is just make sure it has the Herding/Recovery skill. Any pet can have it - if you want to have a chihuahua or a little kitty doing your herding, go for it!

All you need to do is go to the animal shop (I went to Westown - the shop is on the right-hand end of the semicircle of shops in the lower area) and go to 'Buy Animals'. The available pets are there (they are down listed below the livestock). Check the one that you want and it will show what its skill will be. If it does not say "Herding/Recovery" press B to go back a screen, then enter "Buy Animals" again and check the pet you want again. The skill will change randomly, so just go in and out until the pet you want has the skill you want.

Once you have bought the pet it will automatically go to the pet house (if you have more than one empty pet house I think it asks you which one to send it to) and will automatically start taking animals out on sunny days (and sending them back in in the evenings).

You will want to buy pet food ("Buy Items" at the same animal vendor where you bought the pet) and put it in the pet bowl that is in front of the pet house. The bowl holds up to 7 days worth so if you want, you can put a whole week's worth in at once and not worry about it the rest of the week.

The pet will only herd the number of animals equal to its skill level (so at first will only herd one animal). But this will gradually increase on its own the longer you own the pet. No input from you required!

And that's it! Pet hearts raise super super slow, but hearts do not affect the pet skill. If you really want, you can literally completely ignore the herding pet other than filling its food dish and it will still do its job and gain skill levels.
That sounds great. Been waiting for a German Shepherd to be available (since I have that IRL) but I may go ahead and check out the others.
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah the German shepherd only becomes available after you get Lulukoko to town rank A or you win 4 festivals, so you might want to get another temp dog before that or something

I personally am waiting for the Shiba to become unlocked and then I'm gonna get either the husky or the shep later because I want all the dogs