* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 20, 2020 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

xmx
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 12:31 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I feel nervous about posting a topic inquiring about this, since this is typically just a help/info forum; but I was wondering how everyone felt about 3oT now that it has been several months since its release.
I'm really interested to hear what people's main positives/negatives would be in regards to the game, as well as how fans would rank it in comparison to past HM games!

Personally, I love it! A lot. I would go as far to say that it's maaaaaybe my favourite game in the series. (Not counting RF4 :shifty: ) I've seen a lot of fans say they miss the more laid-back nature of the older games, but I really enjoy having tons of chores to do, things to upgrade, objects to spend money on, etc. It really feels like I'm playing a farming game, rather than just a farming simulation. The pacing is great and it was easy to get into, the controls are perfect, and the characters are terrific and most importantly, not robotic. I had a lot of trouble getting past year 1 in ANB, SOS1, and TLV, but in this installment I'm currently inching towards Year 3 on my first file and Year 2 on my second. :)

My only complaints would be that there's still no same-sex marriage (oh well.) and the music is a bit non-distinct. I also miss the wilderness aspect, the whole world is just your farm and the towns. I also think some of the requirements for outfits/farm circles are a bit drastic. But these are just minor gripes in what I consider otherwise as a 10/10 HM game. (Or SOS, whatever.) This is up there with A Wonderful Life and Friends of Mineral Town for me as far as favourites go, which is a huge relief because I had a ton of issues with several of the last games. I hope they build upon the greatness of this game in the next one rather than shake things up again.

That wall of text aside,

Do you love 3oT? Hate it? Indifferent towards it? How does it make you feel about the future of Story of Seasons as a series? I'm interested to hear any opinions.

Lenna36
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 1:10 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

The Good: Love the characters (especially the bachelors :wink: ) I like the animal care in this one. In SOS brushing my livestock drove me nuts...

The Bad: I don't like how outfits/recipes are locked to festival wins. Wish I could just make them all on my own. I miss experimenting with cooking dishes.

The Ugly: Fishing is still my weak point. Those King fish are giving me trouble.

Overall a good game. I'll probably play through it a couple more times. Well, once I complete my current file 100%. That's depending on if RF4 doesn't reel me back in. :lol:

SheyenneThunderstorm
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 1:45 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Well this is just my opinion.

There are few stuff that I hate and like.

Stuff like Seeds Maker and Cheese Maker. I hate how it look unrealistic. However, this is both Story of Season games.

The Livestock doesn't look like the cute HM Cows Chicken, and the cute dog. However, I love rising the livestock still with the coat level and so on.

Which I love the crops system also with the color size sweetness and so on. I just hate that the fields isn't like the classic HM games.

All the other stuff got better since XSeed took over the location. There are few stuff I hate and I know that they wouldn't bring back. I said that 3oT is still the best. Especially with their characters.

Skimming
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 2:27 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Loved: The characters, and how there're quite a bit of events to trigger (so easy that I end up accidentally triggering one very often), and how there's no crash bug like in sos1!

Liked: Fishing (but I like fishing irl so :lol: ), the OST, and how all plots are tied into one place so I don't have a strict cycle like in sos1

Disliked: Weird kit-kat plots for my crops, plus limited customization to my farm and house (in sos1 those are my pride and joy!), lack of wilderness and a proper mine, and how talking to Dessie triggers her talking about multiplayer every time

Hated: Watering mechanic, barns/coops, how I need to bail out to somewhere before shops open/close, and the chihuahua on the save/load screen

Overall, I'm leaning more to sos1 because of the customization freedom and more fluid, faster gameplay, but I caught myself playing 3oT a lot longer and more often. If Marvelous took some parts from both games and mashed them together, it would be perfect in my eyes.

ZeroBudgetGamer
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 5:41 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I'll just say this: This is the first HM Game in a long time that actually has kept me playing past the first year. I'm actually close to starting my third year and, although I'm not binging it like I used to, I'm still finding reason to play. This actually hasn't happened since Back to Nature all the way back on PS1. Since then, every single HM game I'd get bored during Winter, then find something else to play. Even Rune Factory couldn't cure this, as I'd burn through pretty much all of the dungeons within the first year. So being able to keep my interest for this long is probably the highest praise I could ever heap on any HM/SoS game.

Now, that's sadly kind of unfair, as the first SoS had the potential to see me through several years as well; unfortunately, I lost my copy of the game right as I was starting my second year and haven't had the desire to pay for a new one. However, I do think SoS did one thing tremendously better than 3oT and that's farm designing. I really don't like how EVERYTHING in 3oT is linked to this tiny grid system, whereas in SoS I was planning out these grand designs with literally hundreds of pieces of roads, lights, fencing, etc.

All that being said, though, if Marvelous keeps the quality of SoS at where it is (if not higher) moving forward, I have nothing but high hopes for the future.

xmx
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 6:15 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

ZeroBudgetGamer wrote:
I'll just say this: This is the first HM Game in a long time that actually has kept me playing past the first year. I'm actually close to starting my third year and, although I'm not binging it like I used to, I'm still finding reason to play. This actually hasn't happened since Back to Nature all the way back on PS1. Since then, every single HM game I'd get bored during Winter, then find something else to play. Even Rune Factory couldn't cure this, as I'd burn through pretty much all of the dungeons within the first year. So being able to keep my interest for this long is probably the highest praise I could ever heap on any HM/SoS game.

Now, that's sadly kind of unfair, as the first SoS had the potential to see me through several years as well; unfortunately, I lost my copy of the game right as I was starting my second year and haven't had the desire to pay for a new one. However, I do think SoS did one thing tremendously better than 3oT and that's farm designing. I really don't like how EVERYTHING in 3oT is linked to this tiny grid system, whereas in SoS I was planning out these grand designs with literally hundreds of pieces of roads, lights, fencing, etc.

All that being said, though, if Marvelous keeps the quality of SoS at where it is (if not higher) moving forward, I have nothing but high hopes for the future.

I'm really glad to read that someone has similar thoughts to mine! My attention span is so short and I end up burning through most of the worthwhile accomplishments in HM games within the first year or so, and find myself getting bored when things start to slow down. This is why I really think the pacing was excellent this time around. I'm almost in year 3 and I'm still working on the Town Link Ranks, aiming for a higher house upgrade, waiting for my child to be born, etc., which makes it feel worthwhile for me to keep on playing. The enjoyable gameplay and characters make me upset that there are only two save files, because I just want to keep starting new games. :(

In my opinion HM went through a patch of extremely boring/gimmicky games from Island of Happiness through to ToTT, so as a lifelong fan it makes me happy that the series seems to be on an upward trend again. Now if only Natsume can start making some titles that are worthwhile, too. :roll:

KeiraKitten
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 6:49 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I would rate this game a definite 10/10. Like you, I had trouble being 'addicted' to the past recent HM/SOS games. However, now I really look forward to playing and unlocking new rank levels/items/events. I feel there is so much to do in this game that really keeps me wanting to play it. One aspect of the game that I was disappointed with is the choice of bachelors. I just feel that compared to last SOS, the bachelors are not that appealing to me. I loved Klaus, Raeger, and Kamil. They appear more 'bishie' aka handsome to me, whereas these bachelors are more 'kawaii' aka cute. I was actually really sad that Brad is not a bachelor lol. Before the game was released, I had thought he was one of the marriage candidates. Then when I found out he was married to Carrie I was so sad. I decided to go after his buddy Wayne instead lol </3.

sharp
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 9:01 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Here's my really long rant on my experience with SoS1 and 3oT, but a reply to the topic first...

Personally, 9/10 on Trio of Towns. I play the series more for its characters (+ the interaction) more than the farming aspect itself, hence I'm really biased towards how diverse and interesting the dialogue is in each game. I love the way more expansive dialogue over SoS1, and especially love the fact that every character has a "daily story" to tell (especially Inari)! The bachelorettes are interesting characters as well; I wasn't really keen on ANY of them (except Kasumi) when I watched the trailer, but as I played through my first year I couldn't help but love all of them <3. I wish there were like at least 3 bachelorettes in each town though.

I absolutely love the replay value in this game as well. So many recipes and clothing to collect, crops and animals having more properties to max out; and consequently, there's different classes of Animal/Harvest festivals now to balance this out. Speaking of the festivals themselves, the Animal/Harvest festivals pose quite a challenge for like, the first 3 seasons of the game, after which they pretty much pose no challenge and give you an auto-win as long as you submit maxed out animals/crops. After a while, they become more like a monthly chore than an actual exciting event to look forward to. As for the other festivals, I'm really glad to see every town have its own unique festivals (more events to join!), but really pissed that my spouse can't attend other towns' festivals and yet my child can. What's more annoying is that in the romantic festivals (Starlight/sealight festival) the respective bachelors whom I'm forced to go with practically rub it in ("oh, it's a shame Kasumi can't attend, let's go together instead"). Since the objective of the game is to bond the three towns together, why shouldn't we see more villagers from other towns start attending other towns' festivals as the Town Link Rank goes up? EDIT: And I just realised that I can't choose my child as the partner for the -light festivals, wat?

As for the farming side of the game, I feel that it took a turn for the worse compared to SoS1. The biggest gripe many, including myself, seem to have is the weird grid layout system as compared to the more liberal design from SoS1. It feels more like some annoying Professor Layton puzzle to fit all the field plots and power circles and barns/coops in proper layouts to not waste any space. It kills me that I can't put anything at all inside that large, wasted 3x3 grass space of a large barn/coop. In SoS1 you could set the fences around the barn and even plant grass within them for the cows to graze on! More gripes I have are that the default tools are too slow and consume too much stamina. Refilling the watering can every 4-5 fields is really irritating :< Speaking of which, you used to be able to move while watering, somehow they removed that in this game too. The improved factories are great - they take up only 1 space and you no longer have to walk inside to make stuff (though I admit the old SoS factories, while inconvenient, look way cooler). The new tool system is amazing too, except one thing - the stupid flashy animations once you upgrade them to a 5x5 area. They look cool, but actually slow down your work in some cases (you chop trees slower, hammer rocks slower, and mine wayyyyy slower thanks to the animation playing every single hit). The only tool worth getting 5x5 on is the watering can.

I'm rather disappointed that the house no longer can be customised freely, and that there's no more double-floor housing available. Though as a bonus, the new interior house designs look really amazing. The Music Club mansion has an inbuilt music player which I wish could be installed in all designs. The fridge being replaced by the storage box is really weird to me - I can't imagine this large box irl chucked full with fish, milk, eggs, vegetables together with weird animal necessities and jewels.

Not necessarily relevant to the topic - I've played SoS1 into Year 7 (stopped some time ago) and 3oT to Year 4 (still ongoing), and I'm really not looking forward to losing interest in continuing the game...

Last edited by sharp on Jun 03, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Jun 02, 2017 10:41 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

sharp wrote:
As for the other festivals, I'm really glad to see every town have its own unique festivals (more events to join!), but really pissed that my spouse can't attend other towns' festivals and yet my child can. What's more annoying is that in the romantic festivals (Starlight/sealight festival) the respective bachelors whom I'm forced to go with practically rub it in ("oh, it's a shame Kasumi can't attend, let's go together instead"). Since the objective of the game is to bond the three towns together, why shouldn't we see more villagers from other towns start attending other towns' festivals as the Town Link Rank goes up?

I feel this. I honestly would like to see my spouse join me in the other festivals. Especially the romantic ones come on Xseed.

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Jun 03, 2017 9:48 am 
Anonymous Fish

Shan O 123 wrote:
sharp wrote:
As for the other festivals, I'm really glad to see every town have its own unique festivals (more events to join!), but really pissed that my spouse can't attend other towns' festivals and yet my child can. What's more annoying is that in the romantic festivals (Starlight/sealight festival) the respective bachelors whom I'm forced to go with practically rub it in ("oh, it's a shame Kasumi can't attend, let's go together instead"). Since the objective of the game is to bond the three towns together, why shouldn't we see more villagers from other towns start attending other towns' festivals as the Town Link Rank goes up?

I feel this. I honestly would like to see my spouse join me in the other festivals. Especially the romantic ones come on Xseed.
It's not XSeed fault. They just localized the games.

Sanne
Post Posted: Jun 03, 2017 11:45 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I really liked the characters, amounts of festivals and the amount of events. Every character had their own little story and I really hope they'll bring that feature back.

I wasn't too big on the crops system (so many parameters...) and I'd prefer one big town over three smaller ones, but all in all I really enjoyed it.

McLovinGod
Post Posted: Jun 03, 2017 11:50 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I really like the farm circle combos and the overall walk through of the game. I really like how you can choose your personality and whatever you choose helps you along the game. Overall walkthrough is awesome.

I do wish the friend events weren't so long and that they would go back to the original mining where you could go in the caves. Also rival marriages would be nice but I see that's never coming back.

Overall I really enjoy playing the game.

KeiraKitten
Post Posted: Jun 03, 2017 2:06 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

McLovinGod wrote:
I really like the farm circle combos and the overall walk through of the game. I really like how you can choose your personality and whatever you choose helps you along the game. Overall walkthrough is awesome.

I do wish the friend events weren't so long and that they would go back to the original mining where you could go in the caves. Also rival marriages would be nice but I see that's never coming back.

I forgot those two big points. I really miss the mine caves and rival marriages. One thing I LOVED about Animal Parade is how you could trigger rival heart events, and the rivals couples can have children. I'm curious, but why is it that the rival marriages won't come back? It'd be so much better if everyone could have a happy ending <3 . It's a lot more fun too!

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Jun 03, 2017 2:13 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

KeiraKitten wrote:
McLovinGod wrote:

I forgot those two big points. I really miss the mine caves and rival marriages. One thing I LOVED about Animal Parade is how you could trigger rival heart events, and the rivals couples can have children. I'm curious, but why is it that the rival marriages won't come back? It'd be so much better if everyone could have a happy ending <3 . It's a lot more fun too!

It's because fans don't want to see their favorite candidates taken, which is ridiculous. I don't know about here but it's mostly in Japan. I think.

jzwolf942
Post Posted: Jun 03, 2017 6:14 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Erm, I have yet to play the first SoS game (Want to but just haven't bought it yet.) but I have played Trio. However, I've also played ANB, which is the newest comparison besides SoS1, and Trio is by far the superior game

The good: Multi-town gimmick is done well, towns peacefully cohabitate and benefit from the MC (you) helping their economies so they are less snotty to each other;
Personalities of the villagers are not one-note stereotypes and although there are a few trope characters, it's not overbearing;
Most milestones (town rank links, farm tips, etc.) are pretty straightforward although the later ones can be quite challenging if you're unprepared;
Lots of pets (and you can have 12 in total on your farm);
Storage at home can be accessed by the vendors so you don't have to carry everything, jic you want to upgrade or buy something that requires materials;
You actually stay connected to your family from the opening sequence throughout the game;
It's easy to make friends with the quick-chat (L-Button) feature;

The bad: No fridge! Why Marvelous? WHY?! (Storage is shared so food is with your rocks and twigs, making it a cluttered mess);
Upgrading tools requires scrounging for materials instead of natural "by use" upgrades and some of those materials are a pain to acquire;
Still no real mine, just four spots in one of the three towns and only two are available without upgrading your hammer which also isn't given to you until mid-Spring;
Coop and barn capacity is ridiculous (only one in the regular barn and coop, four in the large barn and coop);
Besides the trophy, making your animals have kids vs buying a new animal is a waste, even chickens have to go through a "pregnancy" where they are unavailable for about a week, the offspring also take forever to grow up;
You are locked into a simple grid for your farm so a lot of land is closed off because you can't place things there;

Those are just a few things but just some of the things I've noticed.