About Heart-Based Dialogue (No going past green??)

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

So, I just recently found out that villagers, aside from your partner, can't move past the green heart level. I'm curious to know - does this mean that nobody, aside from your partner, of course, will never give more than 5 or so heart lines? Will their dialogue in general never evolve past this level? I know there's a lot of random dialogue in this game, but ... never being able to get any affection based dialogue after green really sucks. I've had most bachelors (and villagers, actually) at that level for a while now and was really looking forward to seeing the rest of their heart lines, especially since I usually wait till the red heart level to decide on who I want to marry, if I ever do at all (especially since it makes it easier to see everyone's dating and marriage events!) :(

Has this bothered anyone else at all? I like the characters in this game a lot and was really looking forward to some more heart lines/development from them. Is the lack of heart dialogue grating to deal with, or do you feel like all of the extra random dialogue makes up for it?? I personally liked the way your relationship with people developed through the last few levels, and am unsure if all of the random stuff will make up for that.
GemiMini
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

To be honest I have no clue what most of the candidate's heart lines actually are. You get to see so much extra dialog that I feel it doesn't matter what the heart dialog is. There's still way more development in these characters imo than in the previous games. A lot of the dialog is randomly triggered and often little stories pop up in their dialog (off the top of my head I can think of Yuzuki's gem merchant story) so I never felt myself getting bored with their dialog.
Tehya Faye
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

On one hand, it's a shame you can't become a bachelor/bachelorette's Ultimate Best Friend, but on the other hand I do like that I'm not forced to decide whether or not I want to shower my intended with disliked/hated gifts periodically as I try to fulfill the rather annoying requirements for Reverse Confessions in SoS1 without having them immediately declare you their soulmate 10 minutes after the relationship begins. :lol: The pros outweigh the cons for me personally.
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

No, you can't move past the green flower, or get extra flower dialogue above the green flower. If you think about it, there are extra colors in this game anyways; white>purple>light blue>dark blue>light green. By the time you max out light green, you have 50,000 FP, which is technically like an orange flower in SOS. And the ton of dialogue is a nice change of pace for the characters. It reminds me of a Rune Factory game, where new dialogue is available everyday, regardless of being romantic or not.

I'm personally not bothered by this "set back" at all... since I more so see it as a "friend with benefits" sort of scenario. I don't know... I'd just be a bit uncomfortable myself if I raised everyone up to a red heart/flower, since these games push the opposite « Chicken Hugging » toward you in an intimate attraction sort of way, rather than just being friends. I'm just too overly loyal and look into things too deeply, but theoretically, I'd feel like I would be cheating on my future SOS lover/husband if things got really friendly with the townspeople. Besides, at a light green flower, Wayne and Ludus still flirt with me after marriage, which does in fact weird me out. :lol: All in all, I'd rather be friends with all the candidates, rather than some "cheating" loser. (flashbacks to TOTT, where every bachelor was jealous at me for dating all the hot boys...)
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Well, it's good to know that the extra random dialogue seems to make up for the lack of heart dialogue! I guess I'm just a little bit bitter since I like to have all da boys fall madly in love with me, lol. :lol: I enjoy the occasional romantic dialogue without having to date someone, but I guess I'll just have to learn to deal without it this time around.
princesskk
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of it tbh. One of my favorite parts of the game is befriending the villagers, but it's so easy in this game. And personally, I like being able to date everyone, since I like being able to see all the events without starting a second file. It's kinda sad that everyone else's events are locked unless I wanna tediously waste my time dating and breaking up with everyone.

Also I wanna be able to become bffs with all the girls in the town, but they were all to 5 hearts within a few seasons. I just wish I could keep getting closer to them. Oh well. I really miss the ap mechanic where if you befriended all the people of the same « Chicken Hugging » they'd get married. That was adorable and really made it feel worthwhile to make friends.
SakunoHaru

Post  Posted:

All of my thoughts already spoken by Anna

Heck sometimes their red heart dialogue is "too romantic" for being a friends lol, I remember how Dirk in GrB being over "friendly" with me, eventhough I marriage with his older brother lol

Also, if you speak about dialogue, tbh the dialogue in 3 oT have a nice depth, eventho you cant befriend them until red, like every map they will tell different story, daily story involving another villagers, dialogue after you help them in town link quest etc...

I don't mind it at all, i really love the improvements of dialogue in 3oT!
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm in agreement with OP. I miss being able to raise all of hearts all the way.
I don't view it as 'cheating' because you can only get married to one character.
I just want to see all the dialogue without waiting to see text dumps/starting over or breaking up.
Yes I agree that there is much more dialogue in this game but it still gets repetitive. I can only listen to Yuzuki's merchant story so many times before I'm like "Yuzuki dear, you told me that story just two days ago :heart: " and I married the guy. I'm not a fan of the npcs getting married (not against it or anything I just not a fan) but I'd still prefer AP's version where if you befriend everyone to a certain level, they'll get married to their counterpart. This is all just imo though.
princesszelda
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Kross lover/fan wrote:I'm in agreement with OP. I miss being able to raise all of hearts all the way.
I don't view it as 'cheating' because you can only get married to one character.
I just want to see all the dialogue without waiting to see text dumps/starting over or breaking up.
I agree with this 100%. I really miss being able to see all the heart dialogue for all of the bachelors.
MageDragonfire
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I actually don't mind it, to be honest. It seems a little more realistic, in a sense, to not have every potential love interest falling over themselves with blushes and flirtations when you're already involved with someone. Most of the five-heart dialogues in 3oT seem to indicate you're very good friends with a person. (Excepting one or two - Wayne-lad, shush, you can figure out what friendship is.)

Besides that, the fact that we get to see five events with each love interest before the dating stage - and then even more, after - is pretty standard for the series, and definitely an improvement from SoS before. I like that the first two are definitely more friendship-based, too; it seems like a relationship between the main character and the LIs grows organically from there, which hits my happy buttons.