Spouse Nicknames? (A Discussion)

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.

If you could choose ANY nickname for your OC, would you?

You may select up to 2 options

View results

Rissa
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I didn't see any topics about what everyone chose or didn't choose as their post-marriage nickname that their partner would call them. In the end, it's everyone's own choice whether they do or don't go with a nickname and I just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter, my choice of how I came to pick a shorter version of my OC's name as a spouse's nickname and talk about it with ya'll! ^__^

I just married Ford a few minutes ago in my game. I'm so happy! He's my fave. I'm going to try to have a daughter since I'm shallow and think the son's appearance is kinda strange. Although, if I'd married Wayne, I'd like a son, just because I can imagine Wayne teaching his son how to treat ladies, and scolding him if he made Noel, Sumomo, or Alma cry. Now I kinda want to write a short fanfic about Wayne teaching his son how to be a gentleman. Heehee!

At first, for a nickname I instantly thought it would be hilarious for Ford to call me "Nerd" since it would be ironic having a doctor call his wife a nerd... But it's not in his character to say something like that... He's a sweetheart.

My OC's name is Elena... I chose it in the beginning of SOS: Trio of Towns without even knowing what the OC's family's names would be. Daryl wasn't too similar, but I was quite amused to see Marlena and Lynn, to say the least. I giggled like a dork for about five minutes. xD

BUT: I think it'd be cute for the stoic, stern, adorable dork that Ford is to call Elena by a shortened or cuter way, like Lena. A special (sortof) nickname only he'd call my OC by. Everyone else would still call her Elena, but coming home to an adorkable hubby who greets my OC as Lena... I think that'd be adorable. Especially since Ford's already such a great character, in my own opinion. :heart:

So, anyway... What do you guys use as nicknames, or names for your spouse to call you? And if there were 7 or 8 letter spaces for a nickname instead of 6, what would you come up with? Personally, I'd have loved it if there was enough space for your spouse to call you "My Dear", "My Love", "Sweetie" or "Darling", since there's limited space. Or would you make it a more personal touch, such as a nickname made out of your OC's name?

Let me know! I'd love to chat about it with you guys! (:
Madara
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

I'm not sure which answer in the poll I fit with most but I haven't given my character a marriage nickname since Magical Melody. It was awkward and I feel like it's strange that your husband will never say your name again. I guess if I could pick two nicknames (my actual name/of name and a nickname) I would be very happy.

My favorite bachelor ever is Allen because he has a nickname for you whether you want it or not (I wanted it <3) but he also calls you by your actual name as long as you choose to not have a nickname when asked.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Speaking of Wayne, I also can see him teaching his son that :)

As for the nickname: Wayne calls my oc "Babe", I just couldn’t resist.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I never use endearments, as I find it looks weird no matter how you do it, because there are times when it's just not natural to see an endearment in place of one's actual name, imo. And it's weird if you capitalize it, say as 'Dear', and then they call you that in the middle of the sentence where capitalization is incorrect. That makes me feel wrong all over. (I don't remember if that was an issue in Trio...I just remember that it was, once...it would use whatever capitalization you inputted, regardless of where in the sentence the name was placed.)

I know that's probably a weird reason, but I can't stand it. I just can't.

So I use nicknames only...a cuter or more personal version of the MC's actual name. Ludus called Annika just 'An'. Yuzuki called Layla 'Lala'. And I can't even remember what my MC name was in my Ford file. Salvia, I think, with him calling her Salla...but I'm not sure of that. So, pretty simple. I love being able to nickname them, it really makes it feel like your character is closer to their spouse than to anyone else in town, so I wouldn't want to do without that feature. :)
Tehya Faye
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I agree completely with Kikki regarding endearments - it's just impossible to make it perfect, so it'd bug me way too much to use 'honey' or 'dear' in these games, even putting aside the issue of your spouse never saying your name again.

I usually like to pick names that shorten easily into nicknames for my ingame partners. My latest run is Sophia, which could turn into Sophie or Fifi depending on how cute I want to be. :lol: I'm current torn between Ford and Yuzuki, so whichever wins will determine which nickname I go with.
Robinstar
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I totally agree with Madara. And Kikki when it comes to endearments.

I haven't used any sort of nickname since AWL. Well, actually I played with them a bit in RF4 for what I call THEM, but calling Leon "Master" wasn't permanent. It's just so weird having your spouse never say your name again for your entire life. And that thing that they're calling you instead might just become your biggest regret. I also happen to like the names I pick. I usually go with Robin (it was Robyn once) or a default name. And there's no shortening Robin down to Rob. X3 ...It's an amusing idea now, but I'm sure I'd regret it.

The option for two names might be a pretty good idea. I, too, love Allen a whole lot and was pleased when he kept calling me by both my name and the "Princess" nickname he chooses to call me instead of me forcing him to call me something.
Rissa
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I hear you guys on the topic of endearments... I went with "Lena" since my character's name is Elena. ^___^

And Shan, I would have done the same thing. Just 'cause... It's WAYNE! If there had been one more space, I'd have him use the nickname: Darlin'

Heehee.

But I think it would be fun to have your spouse suggest nicknames, like in RF4, but with your character's name involved in some way. It would be a more... personal touch. Of course, for something like that, coding would take FOREVER. :/
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

And Shan, I would have done the same thing. Just 'cause... It's WAYNE! If there had been one more space, I'd have him use the nickname: Darlin'
Yeah.....that would’ve been a better choice for me too.

Honestly if I married somebody else, I wouldn’t chosen a nickname since "Shan" kinda already is a nickname of my name.

I’m normally terrible with nicknames, and like was mentioned depending on the situation it can be awkward.
jzwolf942
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Maybe this is wishful thinking but I kinda wish the GF/BF/Spouse would ask you if it was okay to call you by nicknames and if you confirmed, it would choose from a pool of nicknames that are appropriately in character for the bachelor/ette. Like wouldn't it be adorable for a marriageable character that owned a bakery to call you "Sugar", "Cupcake", etc. once you started dating them? I'd also like this to go along with occasionally calling you by name in serious situations. Like the pregnancy event in SoS feels so non-urgent when the partner is just like "Sugar. We need to get you to a doctor!" after the FMC just passed out.

I just wish there was some more variety with nicknames because I know my wife doesn't call me "Babe" all the time.
Ehppy
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Yeah I do wish they gave you more space to work with when picking nicknames. I understand it works much better in Japanese than english, but I still wish they'd throw us a bone and give us more space... oi.

I do what a lot of people have mentioned and use shortened versions of my character's name.
My character in my current file is named Freddi, which I decided was short for Frederica. So since everyone already calls her by a nickname of sorts, once I married Inari I went with the nickname Diaca. I toyed with the idea that maybe that's how she said her name when she was very little and she mentioned it to Inari in conversation a while before, and then when they became involved Inari started calling her by that name as an endearment.

The lack of character space forces me to be creative, which is a small consolation at least. :)

I love reading about other people's spouse nicknames. It's such a cute feature and I always enjoy seeing what people do with it.
Mecha-Lollipop
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

My character's name is Jenny. My headcannon is she's clumsy and has a touch of Murphy's law acting against her so husbando calls her Jinx as a nickname.
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Since I married Ludus, I had him call me something in hawaiian but I can't remember what it was. I'd have to check when I get home (if I can find the game) but I wanted to stick with the Lulukoko theme. If I ever go back and marry Yuzuki I'd probably do the same thing with sticking to that culture and whatever
Rapididous
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I have inari call me Tofu :) :heart:
go_ask_ashley
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I wish you had unlimited space - or really large space like in FOMT - so you could have your nickname being something comical like your lordship fancypants lol.

Also which in serious situations that the spouse used your name.

I think I am going to change my character's name (it's Keiko right now because I was going one way and am now changing my mind) to Elle. But I will have Ford call me Adella (the full name) because I think as a pet name he'd be more formal than everyone else. I might pick a different name/nickname than that but you know that idea.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think having each candidate (or at least a few in every game) have an endearment they throw into their speech built right into the game beginning with when you start dating or get married, like Allen's 'babe', is a great idea. Don't know what the balance is on how many people would agree, though.
go_ask_ashley wrote:I think I am going to change my character's name to Elle. But I will have Ford call me Adella (the full name) because I think as a pet name he'd be more formal than everyone else. I might pick a different name/nickname than that but you know that idea.
That's actually a possibility I hadn't thought of. Or forgot about, one way or another. Some people have nicknames that have BECOME the name everyone calls them. I knew a girl in college that everyone called Joanna, and then when I called her house, her grandparents were confused, because it turns out her real name is Nicole and her MIDDLE name is Joanna and they never call her by it). That's a circumstance I forgot. So actually, sometimes your real, full name could be more of an endearment than a shorter nickname. Like if all your life you've been called Kis when your name is actually Kristine, and someone comes along and likes using your whole name because they think it's beautiful, or suits you, or etc.

So it could be an indictor of closeness to be called by your real (whole) name rather than by a nickname, too. Hmm, hmm...if I remember that long enough, I may try something with that next time. And I've just made myself want to use the name Nicola, too, lol. I can get so many nicknames out of that!