* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Sep 23, 2020 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Anonymous Fish
  Post subject: This or the original SoS?
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 12:53 pm 
Anonymous Fish

etting that itch to play Harvest Moon again and the console ones just don't seem that appealing right now (really hope they come out with a SoS for the Switch, not that crappy looking Harvest Moon coming out for it) so I narrowed my choices down to these 2.

I've restarted Trio twice now not getting out of the first spring because it just doesn't keep my interest as long as these games usually do. I think I have made it to year 2 on the original but never got married or anything of the sorts so there is a still a lot of content in each one that I have to explore.

Both games have their pros and cons to me but can't really pull the trigger on one.

I like the original because you get tons of farm space as you can get all the fields for other stuff down the road and the bug collecting really helps make some extra cash (even though it does tend to burn me out) but I hate the lack of a shipping bin and the requirements to unlock the late game vendors.

The bit I have played of Trio I love the idea of different towns and selling to the different ones to help up rank and the amount of different animals you can have. I am not sure how big the fields really are and if there is more or less "farming" things to do i.e beekeeping, mushrooms, and other none traditional crop/animal stuff.

What are your thoughts?

Kikki
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 1:27 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I got more play out of the original SoS, to be honest, though I genuinely believe Trio to be the superior game. It's hard to go back to SoS after experiencing the more detailed, better-fleshed-out characters of Trio, at least for me. Events and festivals are so much more fun in Trio. And yet, SoS did have a charm that Trio didn't...I can't quite explain it. The many kinds of animal treats to raise stats, as well as all the different fertilizers, and the horrible placement system...those were a downgrade from SoS, imo, though I don't know how many others feel the same. Basically I enjoyed the actual farming more in the first SoS, but all the social aspects more in Trio.

Yes, you can do non-field crop stuff in Trio, too...mushrooms, honey, maple syrup, pearls, and fish hatcheries come to mind immediately. When you've unlocked all the fields and other growing spaces, the amount of space you have to grow things is pretty huge.

Oh, and I don't know if you already know, but Bokumono for the Switch is already confirmed, by the developers themselves (Marvelous Japan, that is). But we haven't heard any word at all about it since the fact that one is coming to Switch was revealed in...er...January or February of 2017.

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 1:42 pm 
Anonymous Fish

Kikki wrote:
\The many kinds of animal treats to raise stats, as well as all the different fertilizers, and the horrible placement system...those were a downgrade from SoS, imo, though I don't know how many others feel the same.

I thought it was almost too much adding in all that stuff. Now I have to get the size and color perfect on top of all these other treats I have to learn. Not saying it's bad, just seems overwhelming.

I hope the fields you unlock in ToT give you a lot more space as I know Farm Circles take up room as well.

Kikki
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 1:47 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

You will eventually have more than quadruple your original farming space. I never even used about half of it...I never needed to. Though if you're into intense farming, I suppose it's possible to use it all...but by the end of the plot it's an awful lot of space, imo, though the very last spot you open, you can't place any objects...only grow field and tree crops. (So all of your farm circles and hatcheries and mushroom logs and so on can't go into that last space.)

Oh, but...one feature of Trio that I would find painful to try to live without (ever again!) is the fact that friendship never degrades from neglect. Only from giving bad presents or playing pranks through Witchie. Or throwing trash in the water, I assume. But I love not having to worry about running around greeting everyone every X many days...if I'm busy with my farming or fishing or etc, I ignore them and just let festival wins slowly raise FP :)

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 1:56 pm 
Anonymous Fish

Kikki wrote:
Oh, but...one feature of Trio that I would find painful to try to live without (ever again!) is the fact that friendship never degrades from neglect. Only from giving bad presents or playing pranks through Witchie. Or throwing trash in the water, I assume. But I love not having to worry about running around greeting everyone every X many days...if I'm busy with my farming or fishing or etc, I ignore them and just let festival wins slowly raise FP :)

That is amazing, i've never really been good with giving people presents or interacting with them unless it was needed for the plot so this is an awesome addition to the game for someone like me lol

Kikki
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 2:31 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Trio of Towns doesn't get into full swing until ALL of the towns are unlocked. But even then, you don't unlock every villager until Fall 17. And you can't even start your farming tips (the main 'plot' of the game) until Summer 1. So if you haven't gotten out of Spring of the 1st year, yet, you definitely haven't gotten to any of the better parts of the game :) The game doesn't start to feel substantial to me until you're done with the first spring. I'd definitely suggest playing Trio with the goal of getting through at least Summer 1 before deciding which SoS you'd rather play.

Yeah, a lot of people were thrilled with the 'no FP loss from neglect' thing. (But it's also easier to break up with a bf/gf in Trio, as all you have to do is show the feather to another candidate, talk to YOUR candidate to hear them get upset about it, then show it to someone else again, and repeat until their flower colour has degraded as much as needed to qualify for the break-up talk. So if you're someone who likes to try dating everyone before deciding who to commit to, it's nicer in that way, too.)

Bayton
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 2:59 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Oh good, my account is active now.

That was another reason I wasn't sure which one to pick up as I haven't done much at all in ToT, I never got the 3 village to even open so I knew there was a lot I still had to do but for it not to keep my attention for that long made me think it just wasn't the title for me.

Kikki
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 3:07 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Welcome, newly-non-fishie :) The overall quality of the game can't be told by the first season. It's actually pretty common for the first season to be a drag in bokumono games, ime...ANB was actually quite a bit worse. The first bit being slow is not at all indicative of the pacing of the bulk of the game, thankfully.

You unlock the final town on Summer 5, so see if you can play until then. Stuff your extra time after Spring 9 with fishing in all the different locations (a few different fish are available at each different location even within the same town). Forage every single item you can get your hands on, and etc. After about Spring 15 you'll be able to go mining, too, and you'll have access to building things, like upgrading your house and so on. Did you get to Lulukoko opening and talking with Ludus so that you can get a hammer?

The 'charmer' personality can speed the start of the game up, too, by making friendship events available to you immediately, since everyone will have a half heart with you then, and eligible candidates will have a whole heart filled.

Anyway, if you pack your days full with everything you can do, the big beginning lull will pass faster, or at least it did for me. (I actually had a hard time adjusting to the final town opening up when it finally did as all of a sudden I felt like I had TOO MUCH to do...but I was fine as soon as I figured out a schedule that worked for me in-game.)

Of course, others are more than welcome to chime in here, lol, if anyone has other comparisons to make between the first SoS and Trio? I hadn't meant for this to turn into a two-way conversation...it'd be better rounded out with more people.

Bayton
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 3:21 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Yeah ANB beginning DRAGGED. For whatever reason I just couldn't get through this one and I have played and own almost all Harvest Moon games. After this I am leaning towards ToT based off of what you have said and the fact I haven't even got out of Spring yet lol

I did get the second village though. The mining in this game was a big turn off for me though. The limited amount you could do and the RNG can mess you up. I know about the whole 3 day waiting trick but does that outweigh not mining for two days?

Bayton
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 3:21 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

« new farmer » double post.

Last edited by Bayton on May 07, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikki
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 3:27 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

That really depends. In the early part of the game I'd probably mine every day, as you need even the crappy stuff you get, then...rocks and bricks and etc are all valuable building items early on. Later on, yeah, it's worth waiting. Especially if you're aiming specifically for a lot of a gem that has a higher chance if you've waited, like say moonstones if you're building a specific style of house or so on.

If you're choosing between the two, and farming/ranching is your only care, then I'd say go with the first SoS. But if you care about anything else...fishing, dating/marriage, events, festivals...go with Trio.

But that's only one person's opinion. I THINK the balance would weigh out to the Trio side even if lots of people answer, but I'd like to see that firsthand. :)

Bayton
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 4:48 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Well ToT seems to be where to go, I guess no one else disagrees with you as they aren't saying anything lol

Mikodesu
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 5:00 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I'd still personally say Trio is the way to go, but...maybe look through the SoS cast if you're still not 100% sure? A LOT of people on the forum found the beginning of SoS a slog - moreso than Trio. If you REALLY prefer the SoS cast (or REALLY enjoy personalizing your farmhouse/farm), consider SoS. If not, Trio is superior.

Sir Stardust
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 6:09 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

After playing both, I had a lot more fun with ToT.

I enjoyed the first one, too, but there were a bunch of improvements between the titles that I thought made ToT so much better... I can plant/grow whatever I want on my farm without having to keep up rival fields, there's no huge gap between your house-the town that makes too long to travel to/better fast travelling, and I found ToT easier on the eyes.

The biggest thing I preferred about ToT, though, was the way things unlocked. It just felt like the town link rank was so much more influenced by how much I shipped and competed in festivals and focused on a particular town, rather than the time locks in SOS. I detested that in the original, but I always finish these games, so I kept playing way after the point where I wasn't having fun anymore to unlock the last two vendors and get my kids fully grown...

If you don't mind time unlocks, you'd probably have a better time than me. I don't like being punished for playing quickly, and it makes me not wanna replay it, even though I'd know what I'm doing better now.

Well, that's my rant over, lol. SoS really wasn't bad, it was just the time-unlocked things, the grinding for the last two vendors, and some of the smaller things that got to me. Between the two, I think ToT would be easier to replay, if that makes a difference to you.

ChaosAzerothCat
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 7:59 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Sir Stardust wrote:
After playing both, I had a lot more fun with ToT.

I enjoyed the first one, too, but there were a bunch of improvements between the titles that I thought made ToT so much better... I can plant/grow whatever I want on my farm without having to keep up rival fields, there's no huge gap between your house-the town that makes too long to travel to/better fast travelling, and I found ToT easier on the eyes.

The biggest thing I preferred about ToT, though, was the way things unlocked. It just felt like the town link rank was so much more influenced by how much I shipped and competed in festivals and focused on a particular town, rather than the time locks in SOS. I detested that in the original, but I always finish these games, so I kept playing way after the point where I wasn't having fun anymore to unlock the last two vendors and get my kids fully grown...

If you don't mind time unlocks, you'd probably have a better time than me. I don't like being punished for playing quickly, and it makes me not wanna replay it, even though I'd know what I'm doing better now.

Well, that's my rant over, lol. SoS really wasn't bad, it was just the time-unlocked things, the grinding for the last two vendors, and some of the smaller things that got to me. Between the two, I think ToT would be easier to replay, if that makes a difference to you.

This basically sums up how I feel!