* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Sep 21, 2020 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Tehya Faye
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 10:01 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

The original SoS eventually started crashing on me at a frequency that made it unpleasant to play (I think in Year 3, still before I had the final two vendors unlocked since I played a bit casually). Not everybody runs into this issue, but it was enough of a thing for me that I just can't in good faith recommend the game. Trio of Towns is a slower start, and a lot of people find the treat/fertilizer thing annoying, but on the whole I think it's the better game by far once it opens up to you.

ChaosAzerothCat
Post Posted: May 07, 2018 10:46 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Tehya Faye wrote:
The original SoS eventually started crashing on me at a frequency that made it unpleasant to play (I think in Year 3, still before I had the final two vendors unlocked since I played a bit casually). Not everybody runs into this issue, but it was enough of a thing for me that I just can't in good faith recommend the game. Trio of Towns is a slower start, and a lot of people find the treat/fertilizer thing annoying, but on the whole I think it's the better game by far once it opens up to you.

Even when it doesn't crash it has a nasty habit of lag in the tall crop/flower/mushroom/bee area. (I believe that's where it is.)

Kikki
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 1:57 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Really? I didn't realize crashing was something that ever happened. I made it to the end of Year 4 and never had a crash even once with the first SoS. (I did have my game freeze up in Trio due to the infamous Beverage Bash Bug, but thankfully that issue was repaired.) Though I know the first SoS does get a weird lag to it once in a while...for me it always seemed to happen at the Safari after I had a lot of the animals unlocked.

Hmm. If I think about it...I might have heard this before, about the game crashing later in the game...but it's not clear in my memory at all. I just know it wasn't an issue for me, thankfully. That would stink.

Robinstar
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 4:37 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

The first SoS never crashed on me, and any lag was hardly noticeable, but I recall some. However, 3oT did crash on me exactly once, and completely startled me. I was just walking, on my way to mine. So out of nowhere. It happened towards the beginning, and it never happened again even though I’ve had it since release.

Anyway, I’ve been able to put hundreds of hours into both games. They both have things that are better than the other, but I’d agree that 3oT is better, at least slightly. Most of the reasons it’s better for me are that the people look better, and that it didn’t feel like torture to get my full grown child.

Bayton
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 6:33 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Thank you to everyone for taking your time and posting here and helping out. I think it's a pretty easy choice to pick up ToT and run with it.
I plan on hanging around for a bit and reading up any kind of beginning tips around here, unless anyone here has some for me.

Thanks again!

Kikki
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 6:50 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

There's one obvious tip that you may have picked up on. Almost everyone who comes on wanting to trade items is desperately looking for coconuts, and pretty frequently sweet potatoes. Without trading, the earliest possible chance you have of getting a coconut to turn into seeds to plant to grow your own tree is at the Lulukoko Fruit Fiesta on Fall 26. You can be given any type of native fruit on that day, including wild foraged fruits, but it's random, so SAVE your game before you run around giving and collecting fruit gifts in Lulu. that day to make sure you get at least one coconut.

The only other ways to get coconuts in the game is to either get Lulukoko to Rank B, or to ship 200 tree fruits to Lulu. So the Fruit Fiesta is almost guaranteed to be your first opportunity to get your hands on a coconut in-game, and they're required for building the winery, which is why most people suddenly get desperate for coconuts when they realize they either have no access, or the baby coconut tree they've got won't be producing fruit for them for another two or three seasons, or even a year, due to timing.

Of course, you can trade for them anyway, but I know some people don't like to resort to trading unless they absolutely must. :)

Bayton
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 6:57 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I did notice a lot of people asking for them, but wasn't sure what for or how to get them. I'll make sure to get one before the end of that day now.

Kikki
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 7:21 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I've started a mini-guide thread since a lot of people just starting want some beginner tips, but I'm hoping others will contribute as I tended to neglect certain areas of the game and I want a well-rounded beginner's guide that will be useful to as many people as possible. But the little bit I've put in already might help :)

Bayton
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 7:36 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Awesome, just checked it out and those are some good tips I didn't know of. Will be keeping an eye on that for sure.

Bayton
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 7:57 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Another question, I am a vet of the Harvest Moon series so it isn't a big deal either way but does Seedling mode really make a big difference over all in this game? I know it reduces cost by 30% but not sure about anything else.

Kikki
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 8:06 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Seedling makes it a lot easier to make money. Not just because you're spending less, but because the easiest and fastest way to make big money is by purchasing ingredients and then turning them into high-priced dishes and reselling them. Everything you buy is cheaper...that's the biggest advantage of seedling, imo. The stamina is useful but not as big a deal.

Though be warned that some people feel that being able to make money THAT easily ruins the game for them. At first there aren't any really good recipes/ingredients for making high-profit items, but as you progress more and more become available and Cornmeal Flatbread will make you millions per day if you're willing to buy tens of stacks of each of the three ingredients, turn them all into a cooked dish, and sell them.

It will push you through the town ranks REALLY FAST, too, which is good if you get stuck and are tired of waiting, but bad if you don't want to super-charge through the game effortlessly. It's your option, of course...here's a list of recipes whose ingredients can all be purchased (no need to grow or make them yourself) and immediately cooked and sold for a profit.

If you only want to raise your cooking skill as fast as possible without making insane levels of money, then try reading that whole thread or checking the link within that thread to the 'hot milk' topic, which will let you make a *small* profit while quickly raising cooking skill.

Bayton
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 8:58 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

hmm maybe I'll just stick to veteran mode then. Making too much money defiantly breaks the game for me. IE a full field of yams back in FoMT and having all the sprints do all the work for me.

Kikki
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 9:01 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Have you looked at Cherubae's 'getting started' page on her guide? It's just the very basics and includes info on all the personality choices. Wealthy and charmer definitely seem to be by far the most popular, since one gives you a nice boost in starter FP with everyone and the other lets you begin the game with 50,000 Gold (otherwise you'd only have 4,000). I like Charmer, myself, since it gives me a headstart on FP with everyone and gets me into candidate events faster, but if playing in Veteran I might have gone with Wealthy to avoid a major money pinch at the start. If you've played the very beginning twice already, maybe you've tried different personalities already?

Last edited by Kikki on May 08, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bayton
Post Posted: May 08, 2018 9:05 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Yeah I have looked at it in hopes it gave me more tips about what to hold or stuff like that but you have seemed to answer those questions already :D

Bayton
Post Posted: May 10, 2018 6:53 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Finally got around to starting my new file last night and had 2 quick questions for the beginning.

ANB made me scared to sell anything without looking it up first even though it isn't really like that in this game (from what I have read) are there any things in the beginning that I want to keep outside of the normal stuff. I remember reading something about keeping the pine branches you find on the ground? Can I turn weeds into fertilizer in this game?

The other question I have is are the makers "automated" in this version like they were in SoS? I really liked how you could just load a maker up with stuff and just let it do its thing and work on other stuff. Making fertilizer, or cotton, and other stuff like that. Even after starting up ToT I was considering halting and playing SoS for that fact, but wasn't sure if it was like that in this game.

Thanks!