How different from the original?

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Hello, I've played the original mFOMT very long ago but I feel like I'm not very psyched on a remake if it's just the same. I know there's a different-looking character to play and a new marriage candidate but it's not enough.

Did they make it different or is it a faithful remake? Is the dialogue all the same for villagers and bachelors? Are festivals the same? Animals and pets?

I'm tempted to play it in future, as it's on PC, which I mainly game on and love best of all. But I've heard that rivals can't even marry, and there are probably huge load times, so if it's pretty much identical to the original, there's no reason to play it again. I haven't yet played ALL other games in the series, after all ;)
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I am a big fan of the original game too, but I really liked the remake in spite of it's biggest flaw being the removal of rival marriage. It would've been almost perfect with the quality of life improvements if they would have kept it in my opinion.
Other differences that I noticed include:
1. Same gender relationships and marriage
2. Being able to carry on multiple relationships prior to marriage as long as you give everyone the new going steady flower
3. Some updated and more flavorful dialogue, courtesy of Xseed vs Natsume's translation.
4. Updated character designs
5. Two new candidates
6. The addition of three new cow varieties, rabbits, brown chickens, and alpacas.
7. No more experimental cooking. You have to collect recipes to use from villagers, shows, or cooking experience.
8. You can sell to Won/Huang
9. There are mine elevators
10. There is a generational breeding system, with one heart max increasing until the offspring hits 10.
11. Animals are immortal and never get sick
12. There are more pet varieties and you can have up to 5.
13. The pets are only for show and the frisbee festival as there are no more wild dogs.
14. You can change your outfit
15. You can upgrade your field with Gotz to improve crop quality.
16. Your animals can go outside when you ring the bell and go back in by themselves! No more shoving cows or carrying chickens!

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps!
Woof
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

It's literally the same game with updated graphics and a few QOL changes
Etheus
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Greensara gave the best overview I think, but for me it the nostalgia of it is why I got it. I hadn’t been able to play the gba mfomt in years upon years, so the remake was a nice blast to the past. Yeah not having rival marriages is a bummer imo but the game is still fun.

If the QOL stuff greensara mentioned interested you I would say pick it up. I played on the switch so I don’t know about pc load times but there was never an issue that I noticed on the handheld.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

greensara wrote:4. Updated character designs
I've seen those, and well... not everyone was updated to the best imo :(
greensara wrote: 11. Animals are immortal and never get sick
So I can neglect them completely and it's okay?! Do they at least die from old age?
greensara wrote: 16. Your animals can go outside when you ring the bell and go back in by themselves! No more shoving cows or carrying chickens!
This one is nice for sure. :)
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

The only character design I really had a beef with was Popuri's. Everybody else's seem ok, but her redesign makes her look barely older than the actual kids. I don't know, it just doesn't sit well with me.

I have slept through probably close to two game years with no ill consequences for the animals. They haven't even lost affection! (Quite different from some villagers, but I digress.) You do not have to feed them, the only consequence being no milk or eggs if they are not fed the day before. I have noticed though that the wooly animals seem to produce regardless. There is not even any animal medicine in the game!
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I didn't like the updated design for Cliff. They removed his ponytail, and now he has short hair. But his ponytail was his best feature! :oops:

Thanks for information, though, I guess I'll eventually play it. For nostalgia purposes if nothing else. I just wish it was a new good game rather than an old one with old characters and everything. Or at least that it had new dialogue, new scenes and many other new things. //sigh//

I have no problem replaying old games, so I guess I'm not a fan of faithful remakes. But I can attest it was a chore to push out all the cows from the barn manually :lol:
Hikarii
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Like everyone else said, greensara provided the general gist. There are no dead ends in the mine either but we have >2 save slots so we can abuse all the save scumming we want.

I am a HUGE fan of the original (played the heck out of it multiple times). I'm borrowing a copy of this remake and I'm rather enjoying it. It does make me miss the original, but while I have this I'm trying to do all the things I couldn't do before (get cursed tools, etc)