Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Feb 25, 2020 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 94  Next

Are you excited?
Yes! 84%  84%  [ 390 ]
No! 7%  7%  [ 31 ]
Undecided. 9%  9%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 462
Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 2:59 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Releases October 17, 2019 in Japan (NA/EU date TBA)

Last edited by Bluie on Jul 04, 2019 5:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:20 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I have huge reservations about this, lol. News keeps coming up about Bokumono, and it keeps NOT being a new Story of Seasons game! The Doraemon game, and now a remake of a really old game? They did say they were working on an actual Bokumono game at Marvelous, so NOT the Doraemon game...but does that mean this is the game they were talking about? I...have never been a fan of the older games to begin with, so...I don't think this announcement is for me. In fact, this announcement is more likely to depress me than anything else...are they not truly working on anything new, after all?

I'll always give this sort of thing a try, but I don't like the graphics so far or the super chibi-ized character sprites.

It's cool that they're remaking old stuff...this may be a huge bit of excitement for fans of these particular games...but for now, I'm feeling kind of like I've been doused by cold water. If anything I feel this is probably pretty bad news for the likelihood of what I've been hoping for. At first I even thought this was one of Natsume's games, since to me the graphics have that sort of 'mobile game' look. And if it's a remake of an older game, does that mean that Natsume would be the one localizing it?

Interesting news, to say the least. So many questions, lol. I don't know anything about FoMT so I'll have to look it up, now. I love farming games, so even if this is not at all what I was hoping for, it could still be a really good thing?

The Ninja
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:24 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

I'm mixed. I think there's room for improvement in the older HM games so I'd like to see this remake help with that, but I also don't like the new art style at all. I would've vastly preferred if they used the style from the 3DS games instead, because (and I know I'll probably get flak for saying this) this style from the screenshots looks more like something from a mobile game to me.

I think the best thing that would probably come out of this remake is that if it's localized, it'll most likely be XSEED doing it. Natsume localizations are generally filled with excessive typos and bugs and this is likely our only chance for the game to ever be officially retranslated, so I'd consider that more than enough justification for this remake to exist.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:38 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Yeah...I said the same thing, actually. Looking at it makes me worry on several levels. If this is a game that's going to make fans of the older games happy, that's great; they deserve as much chance to get what they want as anyone. But looking at that graphic style...

If they do make a brand new game eventually, is it also going to look something like this? Is this how Marvelous imagines a Bokumono game on Switch should look? I don't have an answer to that, of course, but since I don't like the aesthetic so far, I'm quite worried in just about every direction, lol.

Though I don't wanna rain on the parade of those who are excited about it. If Marvelous is going to head a direction I don't like, that's sad for me, but if they're heading in a direction someone else DOES like, that's happy for them.

Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:39 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

It's OK to be disappointed, Kiki. Take a 'wait and see' approach with this title for now. I will say that without my nostalgia goggles on, the FoMT games have a very fun formula to them - and if they modernize it and fix some stuff, I feel it'll be a great game for newcomers and old fans alike.

Until the Famitsu article is published, I can't glean much info on new features, but for now it looks like you'll have the choice of new protagonists and the whole cast of villagers has been given reworked designs.

Daisuke Tsubasa
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:40 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

My big question is who'll localize this. XSeed is the current de facto localizer of Bokujo games since Story of Seasons but Natsume released this game under the Harvest Moon brand in English back in the day. Considering how things feel rocky in XSeed at the moment, this might be the first Bokujo game that Natsume will localize since A New Beginning. However, they seem busy with their own in-house « Cow Poopoo ».

I wonder if XSeed will just call this Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town then watch clueless players who aren't aware of the Natsume - Marvelous split call this the ripoff lmao.

The Ninja
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:44 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Daisuke Tsubasa wrote:
My big question is who'll localize this. XSeed is the current de facto localizer of Bokujo games since Story of Seasons but Natsume released this game under the Harvest Moon brand in English back in the day. Considering how things feel rocky in XSeed at the moment, this might be the first Bokujo game that Natsume will localize since A New Beginning. However, they seem busy with their own in-house « Cow Poopoo ».

I wonder if XSeed will just call this Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town then watch clueless players who aren't aware of the Natsume - Marvelous split call this the ripoff lmao.

99% chance it's going to be XSEED due to the fact that it's a new product. Natsume has the localization rights in the case of re-releases and ports (like the Wii U Virtual Console), but as this is being completely remade (and is therefore technically a new game despite being a remake) I don't think they would still have control over it. I'm no legal expert but that's my understanding of the subject based on how I've seen similar stuff like this go down before.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:48 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Bluie wrote:
It's OK to be disappointed, Kiki. Take a 'wait and see' approach with this title for now.

Thanks. I just don't want to stomp on the happiness of others who are excited about this, even though I feel like crying a little bit, lol, because I'm too invested in the series. Whoever this is great news for, I'm happy for you! :) But for myself, I'm mostly confused and a bit worried. It's kind of cool that they want to remake older games, but I'm not even sure if this is the Bokumono game that Marv said is in the works for the Switch, or if this remake is another side issue to that...I suppose they could still have a brand-new game somewhere in the works, though it seems a bit less likely, now.

Not sure how the localization will procede, either, but I'd prefer it was Xseed. Not that I hate Natsume or anything, I've just found Xseed's work to be a bit better.

Daisuke Tsubasa
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 3:48 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

The Ninja wrote:
Daisuke Tsubasa wrote:

99% chance it's going to be XSEED due to the fact that it's a new product. Natsume has the localization rights in the case of re-releases and ports (like the Wii U Virtual Console), but as this is being completely remade (and is therefore technically a new game despite being a remake) I don't think they would still have control over it. I'm no legal expert but that's my understanding of the subject based on how I've seen similar stuff like this go down before.

Probably. XSeed is Marvelous's direct subsidiary. Wouldn't surprise me if they got full priority over Natsume.

If XSeed gets this game the confusion would be hysterical to look at it.

"IS THIS A COPY OF HM FRIENDS OF MINERAL TOWN?"
"STORY OF SEASONS? IS THIS A REBOOT OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES?"

Kikki
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 4:07 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I totally JUST noticed that the article says this remake will be out on October 17th in Japan! Holy...hadn't at all realized it was coming up so soon. :shock: I guess we can expect a decent amount of news quite soon, then.

quigley
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 4:09 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I too have some mixed feelings, but they're mostly positive.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually always liked the chibi art style. And I like some of the character re-designs.

The way I see it, the more different it is from FoMT, the better. Not that FoMT wasn't a great game, but (just about) anything that makes the game feel fresh and new is a plus.

Also, I never played MFoMT, so being able to play as a girl will be a nice change.

Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 4:16 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I kinda don't mind the chibi art style either, but it makes me nostalgic for Magical Melody lol...

I think probably the thing i'm most looking forward too is having a proper mine again. Why WHY did they just stop making proper mines in the games!? One of my favourite pastimes in the games and it was one of the few things you could do in the winter in FoMT (no crops to grow). I imagine that they'll make some winter crops for this remake, but I will pop a blood vessel if they gimp the mines.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 4:21 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Oh, did the article also say that you can now play as a girl? I missed that, too! Though it makes sense, given how the games have changed to always have a female option, now. And honestly, while I hate chibi, I do think it's suitable for this game. I mean, that's how the original game was, and I'm sure they must want to keep as much of the original flavour as they can while remaking the game.

I don't think I've ever played a Bokumono game with anything but nodes. Oh no...Animal Parade had more than nodes. But I had so much to do early in the game that I never had time for the mine, lol, so I don't remember what it was like, except that it had a loooot of floors.

Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 4:24 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Yep! It's a remake of the two GBA games and it looks like there's the choice between old protagonists and newly designed ones. A nice touch.

And the mines in FoMT were loooong, but they were great for making extra cash and they were also how you go the best tools in the games (they were hidden in the mines).

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2019 4:27 am 
Anonymous Fish

I mean, i love Friends of Mineral Town, it's probably my favorite one yet, but i feel they could've chosen a better art direction when it comes to the visuals, especially for the character models and the crops.

Also, i really hope they allow us to crossdess like the newer games do, since i doubt they will allow same-sex romance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 94  Next