Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town for Switch

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.

Are you excited?

You may select 1 option

View results

ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Is it bad I'm bummed because one of the things I liked about the old games was being able to NOT have to date someone?

Ahh well, if they keep rivals it's fine in my book. If not, it feels so pointless. I LOATH being forced to date someone in the games and it feeling pointless because my side is the only one giving up anything.

If I go steady, want it to be my choice and not because I'm forced to to get more events. If I'm forced to, I'd at least like the benefit of it being a mutual going steady and not just me being forced to do so in the end.
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling it'll make some characters come across really differently too. Like Rick. He already looks like a hot guy cosplaying his old self :lol: but it'll feel really different if he has some actual romantic lines instead of "you remind me of my favorite chicken..." I swear he had a chicken obsession that would put Gonzo the Great to shame.

Rick was by far the easiest to pick on, but it was sort of the same with the other guys; the old dialogue was often centered around their job instead of anything romantic, but they'd act like they just had a little crush on you when they were ready to marry, because you could pick anyone else OR they could be snatched away by the rival candidate. But you put all the work in to wooing Rick and he's like "wow, you're almost as good as poultry" :lol:

I still feel like the dating system would be a great compromise to keep the rival system intact. You wouldn't have to worry about your wo/man getting with someone else, as long as you are dating them, so you could take your time.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I remember someone saying that the original didn't feel very...romantic? Or believable that you got married, maybe, because they showed very little interest in you in their events, but once you saw them all, boom...let's get married. Which won't be fun for me; I like to get the impression that the MC is special to the person they want to marry, so if a ring-giving event happens to make the characters date, that's great, to me, since that at least should be proof of special interest. The progression makes sense to me...see a few events even as a friend, and to then need to make a commitment to a personal relationship to see more intimate ones.

Plus I just want more events, lol, however I can get them. I loved that about Trio, that the first three events got increasingly intimate, with the third one making it pretty clear that they were interested in the MC, and then the post-ring events often referencing details of past events, too. Trio did heart events really, really well, imo, and I hope they know it. The more they flesh out the events and character stories, or the more events they add, the happier I'm likely to be.

Oh btw, if anyone is looking for the original Famitsu scans...I'd thought they were shown in the OP, but for some reason, I had that confused. But you can see them on page nine of this thread. Maybe that's where the mention about dating was? (Though maybe it was on the official site in one of the sections about candidates.) All the best info is only in Japanese at this point, and I can't read it, so I really don't know. But hopefully it did mention progressing to dating somewhere, at least for my preferences.
astro-demon
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

It would be cool if they make it so when the characters give you their gift item from the like 3rd/4th heart event, it triggers dating mode I hope they finally let us wear the broach Gray gives you, it matches Clair's eyes :) maybe they will still let people date multiple guys/girls at the same time tho. If they didn't want to change it too much. Then after you get married the rivals can pair up with the girls/guys you didn't choose.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Or they could just make the gift giving event part of the regular friendship events (before getting into a relationship), that way people could still get them all without fear of triggering a serious relationship.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kiki wrote:I remember someone saying that the original didn't feel very...romantic? Or believable that you got married, maybe, because they showed very little interest in you in their events, but once you saw them all, boom...let's get married. Which won't be fun for me; I like to get the impression that the MC is special to the person they want to marry, so if a ring-giving event happens to make the characters date, that's great, to me, since that at least should be proof of special interest. The progression makes sense to me...see a few events even as a friend, and to then need to make a commitment to a personal relationship to see more intimate ones.

Plus I just want more events, lol, however I can get them. I loved that about Trio, that the first three events got increasingly intimate, with the third one making it pretty clear that they were interested in the MC, and then the post-ring events often referencing details of past events, too. Trio did heart events really, really well, imo, and I hope they know it. The more they flesh out the events and character stories, or the more events they add, the happier I'm likely to be.
Yeah this is how I feel. I don’t know about MFoMT but any event before dating system took place felt odd to me. Especially since you literally can give the blue feather randomly.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

A cooking clip! (I am definitely going to be turning that soundtrack way down, though, so I can barely hear it in the background. It's irritating.) The house looks rather barren. Lots of different cooking sations, but only one cupboard and one shelf, and a vast empty swath of wooden floor. Can you decorate your house or change its style? It looks so empty, I'd like to be able to spiff it up more.
ThatGirlRena
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Recipe-only cooking? No experimenting with ingredients?

:(
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can't read it, of course, but...if there are recipes in there, couldn't they just be ones you've already discovered via experimentation? Like, if you find one, it gets saved to your repertoire for that cooking station? Though being unable to read any of the text, all I can do is guess. But this looks like a way of being able to auto-cook in bulk, at least, rather than one dish at a time. (Not that I know how it worked before, mind you.)
ThatGirlRena
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I can't read it, of course, but...if there are recipes in there, couldn't they just be ones you've already discovered via experimentation? Like, if you find one, it gets saved to your repertoire for that cooking station? Though being unable to read any of the text, all I can do is guess. But this looks like a way of being able to auto-cook in bulk, at least, rather than one dish at a time. (Not that I know how it worked before, mind you.)
It is possible, yes...but I find it unlikely given how the recent games have seemingly all been recipe-only. In Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA, you had a menu pop up that let you choose to either make something fresh or cook from recipe. That menu appears to be missing - when the player in the video clip accessed the kitchen, it went straight to recipes.

I am hoping that that part of the game is just not ready for preview and is yet to be shown off, but my spirits are low in regards to the cooking aspect. Experimentation was always my favorite part.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:A cooking clip! (I am definitely going to be turning that soundtrack way down, though, so I can barely hear it in the background. It's irritating.) The house looks rather barren. Lots of different cooking sations, but only one cupboard and one shelf, and a vast empty swath of wooden floor. Can you decorate your house or change its style? It looks so empty, I'd like to be able to spiff it up more.
In the older games I do have, the only thing you could change was wall and floor. It’s not like SoS at all. In SI at least there’s always a large room of emptiness. Bed, kitchen and bookshelf against a wall, and a large table somewhere in the middle of the floor that you can’t move.

Edit this is what my google Japanese to English translation tab said
Google Japanese to English wrote:When you add a home, you will be able to cook in the kitchen. Collect cooking utensils and recipes and try various dishes
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

ThatGirlRena wrote:Recipe-only cooking? No experimenting with ingredients?

:(
I think you’re right, and I’m disappointed, too. :/ I miss befriending a villager and getting their recipe from them, watching the cooking channel, trial and error, stuff like that. IMO the recipe collection system from the newer games has been a step back.

This also makes me think the likelihood of rival marriages remaining is practically nonexistent. :(
GossipQureen
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I actually hated experimenting so this works at least for me.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

GossipQureen wrote:I actually hated experimenting so this works at least for me.
To be fair, I think the new system would be incredibly difficult to have it purely be guess-based. There are some recipes I’d never even heard of that were candidates’ favorites, so I would’ve been completely lost without a guide of some sort. On the other hand, I feel like the games already require you to use guides for a lot of the events, so it wouldn’t have made much difference.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It should work fine, they just need to make sure every recipe has a way to get it. They can still be learned from villagers, stone slabs, bottled messages, and tv. Etc.