Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town for Switch

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.

Are you excited?

You may select 1 option

View results

Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

KonekoChan wrote:Spring music! And the sprites, marching in to do Pete's hard labor while he sleeps on the side of his farm. Poor things :(
The spring music is nice. Not crazy about the kazoo-like vibrating noise they've got in there, but the overall tune is pretty. They're saving the best for last, it looks like. I always find the winter themes to be the best, even though winter is my least favourite season, both in-game and IRL.

It looks like when he's sleeping, they're sleeping and/or goofing off, too, since some were lying in the grass ZZZ-ing around him while a few others appeared to be wandering around singing or humming aimlessly. :)
OctavieKnite88
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I don't really care for either of the children. I don't like brown hair brown eyes much (though the new main characters are decent) and the girl's hairstyle is meh. There aren't even that many characters in this game, in a lot of the games they had the child change appearance based on your spouse like in HM DS/Cute and the two Story of Seasons games. How difficult is it to make recolors for the kids? This game is going to be $60 it's the least they could do. Though to be fair they do sometimes base the child's appearance on your character...like in A New Beginning so I guess I can't be too mad? The boy would be so cute if he had blond hair and blue eyes!

On another note I read the ranchstory blogs and it taught me a lot about the history of the characters. I wasn't really bothered about the character designs to begin with but now I'm fine with them. I mean Popuri and Rick look somewhat related now which is nice. Also helps that I have little nostalgia associated with the game itself.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:
KonekoChan wrote:Spring music! And the sprites, marching in to do Pete's hard labor while he sleeps on the side of his farm. Poor things :(
The spring music is nice. Not crazy about the kazoo-like vibrating noise they've got in there, but the overall tune is pretty. They're saving the best for last, it looks like. I always find the winter themes to be the best, even though winter is my least favourite season, both in-game and IRL.

It looks like when he's sleeping, they're sleeping and/or goofing off, too, since some were lying in the grass ZZZ-ing around him while a few others appeared to be wandering around singing or humming aimlessly. :)

Yeah in the gba game they spend a lot of time goofing off and playing their flutes.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:Are those two screenshots in native resolution? Hah it's kinda amazing to see the them both together.
Thought I was the only one who felt that way!
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

The first time I watched the clip, I wasn't a big fan of the wind instrument thing they added to the original music, but as I repeated the video over and over, it doesn't sound as bad anymore :lol:
OctavieKnite88
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I apologize in advance if this is off topic.

*LGPE is Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

R/B/Y is Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

SM is Pokemon Sun and Moon

I can't help but draw parallels between the announcement of this game and what happened when LGPE was announced. The games have many similarities if you ask me. Both are remakes in some form of one of the most beloved entries in their series. BTN/FoMT and Pokemon R/B/Y. BTN/FoMT was a lot of people's first entrance into Bokumono. Pokemon R/B/Y is a lot of people's first and only experience with Pokemon.

Fans of both series have had issues with the overall appearance of the games. LGPE and SoS Reunion both have simple bright and "cartoony" styles at a point in time where their series had started to take a more "realistic" style. Full body models in Pokemon SM and character portraits in SoS not being chibi esque anymore. Both games are also the series first entrance onto the switch.

The difference is that with LGPE people knew that an new core Pokemon game was coming eventually(another difference is that the Pokemon community is a lot bigger and therefore more crazed. You don't want to see some of the conversations on Reddit. You guys think things get negative here? This is nothing by comparison, we're lucky this site has rules in place.). It was confirmed and we were just waiting for more info. But with Reunion we have no confirmation that we're going to be getting another new SoS title anytime soon...which makes this remake a little harder for me to swallow.
Gothicat
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

You know, the more videos I see, the better the graphics look. It's still not the animal parade level I wanted, but they're charming. I do wish we got another set of kids based on the new protagonists though, since the kids we saw so far are based on the old protagonists. I guess it's not too bad, since a lot of marriage options have brown hair, and Gray has blond hair, but for those who want to marry a black haired character or the Goddess/Kappa, it's strange (Popuri is Rick's sister, so she also has brown hair genes).
OctavieKnite88 wrote: The difference is that with LGPE people knew that an new core Pokemon game was coming eventually(another difference is that the Pokemon community is a lot bigger and therefore more crazed. You don't want to see some of the conversations on Reddit. You guys think things get negative here? This is nothing by comparison, we're lucky this site has rules in place.). It was confirmed and we were just waiting for more info. But with Reunion we have no confirmation that we're going to be getting another new SoS title anytime soon...which makes this remake a little harder for me to swallow.
Despite me being more positive now, part of me still agrees with this...however Hakama still has a blank space with 'working title' on their site, so I'm still hoping they're in charge of the main SoS games and that blank title is the next entry. And if not...at least there's rune factory 5.

My ultimate outlook on this is still the question if the dating system is in or not. If it's in, then I think this game is a worthy replacement for the originals. If not...well, nothing wrong with the remake, but there's not much point to it either. Especially since the design changes are controversial (I'm never playing as a boy, and I've warmed up to Cliff. Gray is the only big issue left).
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

The spring music always gives me the most nostalgia, probably because it’s always the first music and that’s when you’re learning and really going at it to build up your farm, relationships, etc. Even though the winter themes more often than not end up being my favorite, the spring music is what really triggers my memories of the game.
OctavieKnite88
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I'm not holding out too much hope that they'll add a dating system to the game but if they do what Trio did with it's events I'd be happy with that. I was reading through Rival events and they seem so much more romantic to me. It could be because they want to make sure that you know the pair is going to get married but still, the events just seem cuter overall. I do also hope they'll include rival marriages still. Let that be one of the features they keep from the old game, please!

When do you guys think we'll get more info about the game?
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^
Beginning of August.
OctavieKnite88
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote:^
Beginning of August.
Right, that's when the next famitsu comes out isn't it? I find myself getting excited about this game because of the new candidates. Can't wait to see who they are!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

We've already heard this music, so I think this clip must be intended to showcase riding the horse? (It looks like he's riding a plushie horse more than a real one, lol...the style makes it pretty cute.) I believe it confirms that horse racing is in, but maybe we already had a confirmation of that. There's also a character standing off to the right at the very end, but he has a low ponytail and a beard in dark brown that make him look sorta middle-aged scruffy, so it doesn't look like anyone I'm gonna be getting too excited about, lol. Someone else also spotted an unknown blonde girl that I didn't notice at all even after watching like six times, lol. Time to look up those character silhouettes again, I guess! (None of the candidates are wearing hats in their silhouettes so I think it must be someone else. Though the bachelorette does have a very round head shape, so maybe that IS a hat, even though it doesn't look like one to me, yet.)
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Seems like they’ve learned about security measures and added a fence to the mountain lookout.

I’m gonna guess the man on the mountain is Gotz, seeing how he looks very much like your typical old timey Japanese carpenter, and that the “blonde” girl is Won, as the person in twitter says. You can kinda make out a side braid if you squint your eyes.
Last edited by Getaris on Jul 18, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Isn't Won a black-haired man?
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:Isn't Won a black-haired man?

Wearing a long yellow dress thingy.

If you look closely at the “girl” it looks like her “hair” has sleeves, and her hat has a black braid coming out of it, to the left (right?).

Edit, here I made a drawing to explain better what I see