Mistakes/Regrets/Kick-yourself Moments

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

This isn't an original topic, but I thought it would be fun to start it up. Have you done anything in the game that immediately (or not) made you realize you messed up? Was it because you weren't paying attention, or maybe another game's mechanics influenced what you did, or maybe you made a regrettable choice or purchase?

It can be anything at all, trivial or not it's all welcome.

I have two off the top of my head and while they're both fairly minor, this first one still haunts me, days after it happened. I triggered Elly's purple heart event and chose the wrong answer. I knew it was the wrong one and I had the right one highlighted, but while checking on my mom (this past year she's been bed-ridden from illness) and not thinking at all to maybe put down the remote, I think I bumped it on something and it highlighted the other one. I hit the button as I was returning to the game not realizing the mistake until the event continued, when I was like "wait... what. Oh « Cow Poopoo »."

I know, why didn't you just reload?

Well, I'm a big idiot who made too much progress since my last save. I apparently didn't learn my lesson because a very similar incident happened with one of Jennifer's events very shortly after this.

:( I only need Marie's book right now and then I have all of the items except for Elly's pressed flower...

My other one is accidentally eating food items I planned on giving to someone/throwing in the pond/shipping. Hasn't everyone done that at least once though?
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Mine is waiting all year to 15 Autumn to buy a dog. Forgetting, and playing and saving daily for two more days until I realised. Now I have to wait until next year. :( I wish Van sold pets more often.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

My winning festival chicken started producing platinum eggs because I let them outdoors too often and now I need to wait for the next festival and breed a new chicken to get the golden eggs. :( Also I’d rather keep my chickens indoors now since there’s no way to track how long they’ve been outside and I don’t want to risk getting platinum eggs again.

Another is not leaving enough space in my tool kit when I went down the Lake Mine to find the cursed tools. My original plan was to get the tools from floors 29, 39, and 49, then use the elevator later for my second trip to get the ones after level 50. But I only had space for 2 tools, so I ended up skipping 29 and went for 39 and 49 since those are further down. I even managed to find the Fishing Rod on 29 when I was simply searching for the ladder, but I gave it up so I could have space for the other tools. This was before I realized the tools weren’t guaranteed to appear on their floor, so if I knew that, I might’ve just kept it because the second time around did take a while and several reloads.
freckles
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

This might sound like a counterintuitive answer but I wish I didn't romance all the candidates as quickly as I did. I've been postponing marriage because to me, once you're married, the game is "over" (I know it's not, and you still have your child etc. but without the chase it feels that way).
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I know what you mean, I feel like something special is lost once you're married, even if the marriage part is exciting.
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Of course it's boring after marriage; no rival marriage = like 30% of cut out cutscenes. :shifty: it's like, "woohoo I'm married now...I guess I wait 50 years for a cottage, just to get a jewel for a gem that's extra useless in the remake???"

I can't think of any big mistakes or regrets I've had in my game. I almost went to the starry night festival with Gray in year one, but then decided to go with Brandon last minute, which got me a ring. I can't remember which candidates give rings, but I was lucky to get that ring before it was locked out forever.
I made a lot of mistakes in my Japanese copy back when the remake first came out though! Mugi stole my horse, because he only had three hearts...in Winter. I was so surprised, I thought he would give me a year long time limit like the original game. Many yams were forgotten in fall too. Also Cliff moved away because Duke never showed up on the 14th. :(
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

You get the ring from Brandon, Cliff, Doctor, Gray, and Jennifer I think.
Also Cliff moved away because Duke never showed up on the 14th. :(

Was that a glitch? I didn't have problems triggering it but I saw a lot of people saying they did.
Last edited by Cmh5 on Aug 15, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I slightly regret not dating all the marriage candidates before I got married - not even for the achievement, since I split off my file before marriage to do that later, but more because I wish I had all the marriage candidate gifts to display in my house. But now that I'm getting the statues from the mines and there's limited space to display items anyways it's not a big deal.

I also regret filling up my coop so quickly because I'm a bit worried I might miss getting gold rabbit fur because the rabbits will have been outside for too many hours by the time the next festival comes around. Then I'd have to sell one of my 10 heart animals to breed a new one which would make me sad. I wish there was some way to only let some animals out so I could let out the chickens and not the rabbits; as it is, I'm debating leaving the coop animals inside until the next Fluffy Festival.
Goteah
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Cmh5 wrote:
I know, why didn't you just reload?

Well, I'm a big idiot who made too much progress since my last save. I apparently didn't learn my lesson because a very similar incident happened with one of Jennifer's events very shortly after this.
Not sure about PC version but, switch has an autosave slot...

But yeah I also made a bunch of mistakes my first playthrough, ate the wrong thing, bred a few animals before the previous baby became an adult, triggered Anna's cooking classes way later than I could have.

This run is better at least, got a bred 8 heart chicken in time for first year chicken sumo. Like the last one have almost every romance trophy, I might actually complete everything the first year (aside from breeding ALL the animals to 10 and that mountain cottage thing(stupid 50 years)) Year 2 will probably be recipe completion, cooking completion, animal breeding bonanza, getting cliffs birthday card, marriage, and finishing getting mythic tools, and getting the king fishes.

Idk being a veteran of HM games I'm used to there being a time limit to complete the goal, so I pretty much try to speed run every game. I actually find the games boring when I reach the wall that's in place to prevent such things. For example, 3oT died for me at spring Y2 because I completed dad's goals but was held up by things that wouldn't be available until later that year.
freckles
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Yeah.... admittedly, I haven't played much since I proposed to all the candidates because I don't know who to move forward with. I might just ignore those and continue on my still-single file until I've reached a decision. :oops:
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Goteah wrote: Not sure about PC version but, switch has an autosave slot...
I found out about that just recently... :shifty:
freckles wrote:Yeah.... admittedly, I haven't played much since I proposed to all the candidates because I don't know who to move forward with. I might just ignore those and continue on my still-single file until I've reached a decision. :oops:

That sounds like a good idea, meanwhile. I ended up changing my mind three or four times so far before finally coming to a decision :lol: it seems to easy if you're already familiar with the characters, but then something happens that makes you reconsider.
nongo
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I dated all the candidates and married Kai later but it seriously makes me sad knowing there are no rival marriages. Almost like everyone gave up on love because I didn't choose to marry them... I don't regret getting married, it just makes me sad knowing everyone else will stay single forever.

Something they should have added to the game was "Going on dates" mechanic, similar to RF4. It would of gave more events to do with your boy/girlfriend before feeling rushed into marriage.
Rainy
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

My two regards are marrying Grey before the Starry Night Festival and missing out on the ring and buying fruit/coffee/ strawberry cows too quickly.
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I forgot, I did make another semi-early mistake. For my first fireworks festival, after so many years I forgot that you could only speak to everyone once, and I wanted to see the dialogue. So I turned down Doctor assuming I could return and I would be asked again.

After speaking to everyone I was forced to watch them alone...

:bunny: Luckily I saved prior to this, so I just re-loaded.
Last edited by Cmh5 on Aug 17, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Shearing or impregnating animals before a festival they could have won. :P Also, not getting the new cows and other animals sooner than I did. As it happened I didn't win anything but the chicken sumo and horse race until year 3, so it's going to take until at least year 6 to have a winner in each type of animal.