Are they running out of ideas?

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.
Briarwyn
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

When a game making company like Xseed-Marvelous remakes an older game, does that mean that they're starting to run out of new and original ideas for new games?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

No. It just means they want to make money. :)

(Btw, Xseed doesn't make games, they only localize games made by others. Marvelous first of all because Xseed is their American subsidiary, but lots of other games by other devs, too.)
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

A lot of companies, small and big like to remake games now and then. Not only for additional profit, but for the sake of using the newest technology to see how much better they can make it, and/or as a way to celebrate a series and love for its fans.
Somerandom
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

As long as they continue to put out new content with new ideas, I don’t think they are. Often remakes are used to improve a game or add new ideas, while cashing in on the nostalgia of fans. As long as they don’t undermine the core values or gameplay elements of the original I think remakes are a good thing as they give a chance for newer fans to access older games more easily.

However when they do a remake with seemingly no relevant changes giving no reason for a remake (I can’t think of any game examples but the 2019 Lion king remake comes to mind) or they make it worse and undermine the values of the original piece of media (Mulan 2020, again not a game example but the morals of the original and remake are completely different) then a remake can be a bad thing. In general game remakes are better than movie remakes as gaming technology has come a long way in the 25 or so years Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons has been around, so often there are much needed tweaks to graphics and gameplay elements that haven’t aged well.