Tips & Tricks for First Year

Poot Poot Poot! A mainline Bokumono game set in a resort town that wants to be more resort-y. Available for Nintendo Switch, Steam/PC, and Ps4/5. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Feb 2021. NA = Mar 2021. EU = Mar 2021.
Kelpy
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Petalmagic wrote:Something I just found out: You can get rid of small ponds once you fully drain them and then break them down with a hammer (mine is gold but unsure if can be done before then). Removing ponds is great if you really need the space.

Upgrade the Axe and Hammer!

Check the sprite shop EVERY day. You never know when you will find a special crop you are missing, or 10 star seeds (got my first one today, carrots just in time for winter)
Just tried it, it can be done with silver as well so presumably any level can do it.
dr4g0nh34d
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Kelpy wrote:
Petalmagic wrote:Something I just found out: You can get rid of small ponds once you fully drain them and then break them down with a hammer (mine is gold but unsure if can be done before then). Removing ponds is great if you really need the space.

Upgrade the Axe and Hammer!

Check the sprite shop EVERY day. You never know when you will find a special crop you are missing, or 10 star seeds (got my first one today, carrots just in time for winter)
Just tried it, it can be done with silver as well so presumably any level can do it.
Do they permanently go away though? I just drain them, and they disappear the next day, but they do come back fully filled after a few days at the same spot.
Princess-of-Dragons
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

They don't permanently go away. I've had small ponds reappear in the same spot despite me hammering them flat. I think there's set places around your farm (the patches of dirt among the grass) they can appear on.
Kelpy
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Yeah it looks like they don't go away forever, it's just useful for getting rid of them right that second if they're in the way of moving around.
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The small ponds will respawn elsewhere if you put a building or tree there. They're also good as a watering can refill spot by any fields you have in far areas. They won't go away by themselves. You can craft more wells or buy them or something tho.
eggegg
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

You can move your barn/coop anywhere to rename them.

Pets are just there for the aesthetic, so feel free to pick whichever one appeals to you the most.

You start waking up late if you go to bed after 10pm. If you stay up until 2am, you pass out and then wake up at 10am.

Animals consume fodder at 9am. If you don't want them to eat your fodder, put them outside.

Typhoons...don't seem to do anything? They're just loud and annoying?

If you go to the Earth Sprite Village and talk to each of the sprites, they give you random stuff daily, but it can be a LOT of stuff. Make sure you have enough inventory space.

Invest in sprinklers for the stuff you don't want to water, like fodder.
Nanami
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Typhoons deplete your stamina faster when you're outside, so stormy days are a great time to do indoor activities like mining or cooking. :)

My tips for the early game are to plants lots of multi-harvest crops. They are more profitable than single-harvest crops in most cases. Green peppers are the biggest money maker, I believe.

I also recommend not spreading yourself too thin. So, start with one barn of animals and work on leveling up thier products via breeding. If you have multiple barns worth of animals at the beginning, you'll spend half the day taking care of them!

Sprinklers are the best time and stamina-saver in the game, so definitely work on making them ASAP.

When you plan on doing something that uses a lot of stamina (like mining), drink soup to cut your stamina use in half. The soup made with clams is easy to make and very worthwhile.

It's also good to carry around lots of desserts, as you can eat them even when full (after eating a main dish). I recommend first eating soup, then a main dish, then desserts as needed.

You do not need diamonds or other gems for anything unless you want to build the giant gem maker much later in the game. Then you'll need 10 of each gem for one machine. However, gems are much, much easier to get later in the game, so for now I suggest refining and selling everything you mine for the first year or so. You need the money more than the gems at that point!

I think that's all for now. I second a lot of other suggestions in this thread, though - upgrade your hammer (then your axe) ASAP, check the sprite shop and collect your items from the various sprites, make sure to go get your reward every time you earn a new title, plant paths if you don't want trees/rocks/ponds to spawn, etc.
coco__
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Now that I am in Winter, Year 1, I have unlocked all 3 areas and I am still trying to figure out the best set up for where crops and barns/coops go.

Right now I have the barns/coops in the 3rd area (closest to the 3rd mine) and its looking really nice and has freed up a lot of space. Anyone else have recommendations?
eggegg
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Personally, I'm putting all of my barns & coops in the second area so I can rush out and get them outside before 9am. I also have all my mushrooms/bees in the 2nd area. I'm slowly moving my makers to the third area. First area is seasonal crops & flowers.

This might change though, lol. I haven't made any of the big sprinklers yet, so my fields are all 3x3 instead of 5x5.

The iron watering can has a power-up range of 1x3, the silver watering can has a range of 2x3, and the gold has a range of 3x3. I don't have the final upgrade, but I'm assuming that's either a 3x4 or a 4x4 watering range.