Marriage won't work

Harvest Moon: Boy Meets Girl for Gameboy Color. [ Game Guide ]
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'm playing on the 3ds virtual console version of the game and can't get married for some reason. My partner has been saying the last line she's supposed to before we get married for a whole season so I decided to start a new game and try again. I give her a gift and talk to her every single day but the only event I've ever gotten is the first one and now I'm almost back to the same spot with her that I was in my first game. I know I'm not the only person with this problem I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix it. Very annoying that I'll never get to really finish the game and have kids.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I remember having the very same problem in the first file I ever played in HM3. I was too excited and kept talking and giving gifts, but not getting the "heart events". Unfortunately I found out that once you miss an event you're locked out of it and then the latter events in the sequence won't trigger either. :( However, after I restarted, I came up with a system that worked well for getting the events playing as a boy or girl.

After finishing the morning chores, I'd talk to my partner once and note the dialogue. Then I would give her/him one gift. Next I would talk to her/him one more time to see if the dialogue had changed. Whether or not there was a change, that was all my interaction with her/him for the rest of that day. If the dialogue did change, the first time speaking with her/him the next day (after chores) typically triggered the event if there was one. Not every level has an event so you probably want to double check Cher's guide. Taking it slower really did seem to help, as I noticed if I gave a present after the dialogue change too, it seemed to skip the event.

A side note, sort of related, when you do end up marrying the girl and she's pregnant, remember to still gift her once a day. In one of the files I cleared the story and had one kid already in, I forgot a few times trying to speed through winter, and it seemed like she was staying eternally pregnant with child #2, lol. I eventually restarted because I got tired of waiting.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

greensara wrote:I remember having the very same problem in the first file I ever played in HM3. I was too excited and kept talking and giving gifts, but not getting the "heart events". Unfortunately I found out that once you miss an event you're locked out of it and then the latter events in the sequence won't trigger either. :( However, after I restarted, I came up with a system that worked well for getting the events playing as a boy or girl.

After finishing the morning chores, I'd talk to my partner once and note the dialogue. Then I would give her/him one gift. Next I would talk to her/him one more time to see if the dialogue had changed. Whether or not there was a change, that was all my interaction with her/him for the rest of that day. If the dialogue did change, the first time speaking with her/him the next day (after chores) typically triggered the event if there was one. Not every level has an event so you probably want to double check Cher's guide. Taking it slower really did seem to help, as I noticed if I gave a present after the dialogue change too, it seemed to skip the event.

A side note, sort of related, when you do end up marrying the girl and she's pregnant, remember to still gift her once a day. In one of the files I cleared the story and had one kid already in, I forgot a few times trying to speed through winter, and it seemed like she was staying eternally pregnant with child #2, lol. I eventually restarted because I got tired of waiting.
Thank you so much!!!