River King GBC (3DS eShop)

A fishing RPG that's older than Harvest Moon. Current games include River King 1 (GB/3DS VC), River King 2 (GBC/3DS VC), River King Advanced (GBA), A Wonderful Journey (Ps2), and Mystic Valley (DS)
XxNanaxX
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Hi,

I just bought River King GBC on my 3DS today, and it's my first time playing a River King game. But I feel kinda pathetic right now, because I can't reel in any fish... It always flees with my bait (and sometimes hook too). I looked at the manual but it doesn't give a lot of detail about the controls. Do I have to mash the A button, just hold it (I tried both), or is there something else I have to do while pressing/holding the button?

Thanks!
XxNanaxX
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Aaah, never mind, I watched a video on Youtube and now I understand how it's done. But if anyone has general tips for a beginner, it would be much appreciated. :)
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

If you are looking for free Bait, you can buy the Net from the shop for 100 G. Then use it find Bait. Down by the water in the first area you'll find Larva, and in the land area (e.g., by your house) you'll find Grub.
Katherine1973
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Was there at one time a FOGU site for LoRK GBC? And if so can it be resurrected? Because all I've been able to do so far is punch out 1 spider and haven't been able to catch any fish yet......
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

No, there isn't a RK1 fogu guide - I didn't start until RK2.

To catch fish, you need to equip Bait on your Tackle. Press A to open the main menu and then select the Larva from the Bait menu; you will have the Short Rod, Medium Hook, and Floater equipped by default. To cast your line, stand next to the water, and press B (to automatically take out your fishing pole), or press A to bring up the main menu and then choose Fish.

When you see the fish circle your float and you hear a steady tone, press A to start the fish battle. You will see the fish swim away with your line. When the fish stops swimming, press A to reel it in until it doesn't make any more upward progress. Then release A and let it swim away again until it stops. Keep pressing and releasing A until you land the fish.

When the fish is swimming away, sometimes you can tap A to slow the fish down. You don't want to hold and press A while it is trying to escape, else it will break your line.

If you see a fish easily become loose when it is swimming and you tap on A, that means your hook wasn't the correct size to catch the fish. Go into your Tackle menu and choose a new hook. You can buy more at a Bait shop.

Using Lures and Flies is better though, as they don't get eaten every time like Bait does.
Katherine1973
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Thanks Cherubae!!!!! I finally caught a fish!!! One and only 1 fish so far..... :oops: O well, 1 down many more to be caught!
XxNanaxX
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure it will help! The game is fun so far, even if I still lose my fish a lot...XD