So, what are characters Japanese names?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Any game. Surprisingly this is difficult to find. I heard Natsume changed the names in various games
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Leia = Lettuce
Denny = Danny
Amir = Schmidt
Cam = Kamil
Reina = Licorice
Anissa = Anise
Chase = Chihaya
Luna = Roomi
Selena = Sheila
Jin = Won
Toby = Tao

(not natsume but...)
Agate = Menou (iirc, "menou" is the japanese word for agate)
Melanie = Melty

those are the only ones i remember know off the top of my head. natsume changed a lot of names.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

In addition to that, Georgia = Raspberry
GenesisLove
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

My personal favorite is Muffy's Japanese name, Muumuu/Moomoo. :lol:
IMO The silliest name change Natsume made was to keep all of the original Wondeful Life/Back to Nature names for the Harvest Moon DS characters. In the Japanese version everyone had new names to show that while their appearances were pretty much the same, they were actually the descendants of the villagers we got to know in the earlier games. I'd love to know the reasoning behind that decision.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

GenesisLove wrote: IMO The silliest name change Natsume made was to keep all of the original Wondeful Life/Back to Nature names for the Harvest Moon DS characters. In the Japanese version everyone had new names to show that while their appearances were pretty much the same, they were actually the descendants of the villagers we got to know in the earlier games. I'd love to know the reasoning behind that decision.
Because it didn't make any sense and would be too confusing to use the "descendants" names. The same characters who look exactly like the characters in another game does not warrant the need for a name change because of a weird storyline feature; the only place that I can remember that it was even hinted that the HM DS characters were the future generations of AWL was the gravestone.

Why would the "descendants" of Carter and Flora still be digging through the excavation site? Why is the future Dr. Hardy still wearing the same clothes as the prior Dr. Hardy? It just didn't make any sense. Just because it came from Japan doesn't mean that it is somehow superior.
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

GenesisLove wrote:My personal favorite is Muffy's Japanese name, Muumuu/Moomoo. :lol:
Just Muu, not Muumuu. :)
GenesisLove
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Emurii wrote:
GenesisLove wrote:My personal favorite is Muffy's Japanese name, Muumuu/Moomoo. :lol:
Muu is Muffy's HM DS name while MuuMuu is her Wonderful Life name.

@Cher: I agree that the descendants who look and act exactly like their ancestors plot point is dumb. It's also true that there are only a couple instances where the passage of time is mentioned. The best way of handling the localization would probably be to get of rid of mention of it altogether and I guess that's what they where going for. Since they did end up keeping it in, I just wish the name change way of handling it remained as well because at least it confirms that these are actually different characters and not Twilight Zone-esque ghosts who've been trapped in the same daily schedule for 100+ years.XD I totally get your point though.
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

GenesisLove wrote:
Emurii wrote:
I stand corrected.

And yeah, the whole "descendants" thing was kind of stupid.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Emurii wrote:
GenesisLove wrote:
Emurii wrote:
I stand corrected.

And yeah, the whole "descendants" thing was kind of stupid.
I did like the aspect of it, but, if they were going to do it, maybe have the characters look similar to their ancestors instead of exactly looking like them.

Anyway, some more names! (I'm doing it like this: Japanese -> English)
Gil -> Gill
Lily -> Lanna
Eric -> Elliot
Suiran -> Lily

Not a whole lot, but, along with some of the ones listed like Denny, the changes I listed (with the exception of Gill) never made sense to me.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Cherubae wrote:
GenesisLove wrote: IMO The silliest name change Natsume made was to keep all of the original Wondeful Life/Back to Nature names for the Harvest Moon DS characters. In the Japanese version everyone had new names to show that while their appearances were pretty much the same, they were actually the descendants of the villagers we got to know in the earlier games. I'd love to know the reasoning behind that decision.
Because it didn't make any sense and would be too confusing to use the "descendants" names. The same characters who look exactly like the characters in another game does not warrant the need for a name change because of a weird storyline feature; the only place that I can remember that it was even hinted that the HM DS characters were the future generations of AWL was the gravestone.

Why would the "descendants" of Carter and Flora still be digging through the excavation site? Why is the future Dr. Hardy still wearing the same clothes as the prior Dr. Hardy? It just didn't make any sense. Just because it came from Japan doesn't mean that it is somehow superior.
All they did was make it more confusing. They forgot to edit certain lines that signify it takes place after AWL.
Furan
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

The names didn't only change between Japanese and English !

I played most of the games in french, and some had changes too ! The one I remember are :
Chase=Charles
Jin=Jean
Gale=Gaël
Lily=Suiren
Elli=Ellen
Some letter changes like Kathy=Cathy

But Grand Baaar had the most changes, I remember seeing differences between French, German and Spanish too
Sherry=Sophia
Antoinette=Ange
Daisy=Anemone
Emiko=Kath
Ivan=Ulysse
Lloyd=Roy
Angelo=Guy
SakunoHaru
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

from ToTT

Kiriku --> Kana
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Did SNES, 64, MM, and STH have name changes? I know AWL did. I also know "Maria" in 64 was an error on Natsume's part; it was "Mary", which was fixed in BTN.
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:I also know "Maria" in 64 was an error on Natsume's part; it was "Mary", which was fixed in BTN.
64 names are:
(JP) -> (EN)
Erii -> Elli
Popuri -> Popuri
Karen -> Karen
Ran -> Ann
Marii -> Maria

I don't think either Maria or Mary are correct -- it should be Marie. Mary is spelled "Meari" or "Mearii" in Japanese, and Maria would just be "Maria." "Marii" = Marie.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Wait, so Mary's name isn't correct period?