Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

   * Search  * Register
It is currently Feb 26, 2020 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
white66
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 12:07 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

User avatar
Posts: 754

Offline
I think MM might be a bad choice, I played it recently after playing 3oT and it seemed very...slow. Just the way the character moves/interacts with the environment almost seemed like it was in slow-mo. Its still a good game but I don't know if it would be a good introduction into the series.
 
Reply with quote  
Terra575
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 12:33 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 2020

Offline
white66 wrote:
I think MM might be a bad choice, I played it recently after playing 3oT and it seemed very...slow. Just the way the character moves/interacts with the environment almost seemed like it was in slow-mo. Its still a good game but I don't know if it would be a good introduction into the series.


And something about how short the MC's legs are makes it seem even slower, haha
The chibi are cute but not exactly nimble...
 
Reply with quote  
Getaris
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 1:44 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 2864

Offline
The characters have adorable diaper-butts.

Good for sitting, but not very practical for farming.
 
Reply with quote  
Anna_Lynn
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 2:08 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

User avatar
Posts: 662

Offline
Plus, wasn't MM restricted by the developer teams in NA and EU? Like, unless you owned a GameCube version of the game, you could only play as a male MC. I remember me from eight years ago wanted to marry Kurt so badly, and was heartbroken to realize that I could not play as a female MC on the Wii version. Hell, the girl MC was even playable for the mini-games, just not the base game.
 
Reply with quote  
Terra575
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 2:11 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 2020

Offline
Anna_Lynn wrote:
Plus, wasn't MM restricted by the developer teams in NA and EU? Like, unless you owned a GameCube version of the game, you could only play as a male MC. I remember me from eight years ago wanted to marry Kurt so badly, and was heartbroken to realize that I could not play as a female MC on the Wii version. Hell, the girl MC was even playable for the mini-games, just not the base game.


Woah, really? That's messed up, I hadn't heard of that. I've only played the gamecube version...
 
Reply with quote  
Getaris
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 2:12 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 2864

Offline
From what I heard, the Wii version was a quick&dirty© rush job done to have a game to sell on the wii.

It is apparently worse in every aspect, but I've never played that version so I wouldn't really know the specifics.

Edit: and apparently the game we got on the game cube is based off the second Japanese version, it seems the original release was full of bugs and problems.
 
Reply with quote  
ChaosAzerothCat
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 2:48 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Posts: 1084

Offline
Getaris wrote:
From what I heard, the Wii version was a quick&dirty© rush job done to have a game to sell on the wii.

It is apparently worse in every aspect, but I've never played that version so I wouldn't really know the specifics.

Edit: and apparently the game we got on the game cube is based off the second Japanese version, it seems the original release was full of bugs and problems.


I'd managed to avoid most of the notorious bugs with other games yet Wii MM stopped working for no reason the very day I got it. Used copy, bad shape right? Used copy yes, bad shape no. Perfect condition. Each time I tried to play lasted less time than the last. Started crashing within 10 seconds of loading the file.

Dropped it a few months, decided for S&G to try again, working just fine as if nothing happened. No idea to this day « What The Eggplant » was up with all the random crashes but man did it piss me off tbh.

I love MM but not sure how accessible it might be in a good/complete state even?
 
Reply with quote  
Terra575
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 2:56 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 2020

Offline
ChaosAzerothCat wrote:
Getaris wrote:
From what I heard, the Wii version was a quick&dirty© rush job done to have a game to sell on the wii.

It is apparently worse in every aspect, but I've never played that version so I wouldn't really know the specifics.

Edit: and apparently the game we got on the game cube is based off the second Japanese version, it seems the original release was full of bugs and problems.


I'd managed to avoid most of the notorious bugs with other games yet Wii MM stopped working for no reason the very day I got it. Used copy, bad shape right? Used copy yes, bad shape no. Perfect condition. Each time I tried to play lasted less time than the last. Started crashing within 10 seconds of loading the file.

Dropped it a few months, decided for S&G to try again, working just fine as if nothing happened. No idea to this day « What The Eggplant » was up with all the random crashes but man did it piss me off tbh.

I love MM but not sure how accessible it might be in a good/complete state even?


That's both awful and weird about your bugs. Why didn't you return the copy?
 
Reply with quote  
Anna_Lynn
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 3:03 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

User avatar
Posts: 662

Offline
ChaosAzerothCat wrote:
Getaris wrote:
From what I heard, the Wii version was a quick&dirty© rush job done to have a game to sell on the wii.

It is apparently worse in every aspect, but I've never played that version so I wouldn't really know the specifics.

Edit: and apparently the game we got on the game cube is based off the second Japanese version, it seems the original release was full of bugs and problems.


I'd managed to avoid most of the notorious bugs with other games yet Wii MM stopped working for no reason the very day I got it. Used copy, bad shape right? Used copy yes, bad shape no. Perfect condition. Each time I tried to play lasted less time than the last. Started crashing within 10 seconds of loading the file.

Dropped it a few months, decided for S&G to try again, working just fine as if nothing happened. No idea to this day « What The Eggplant » was up with all the random crashes but man did it piss me off tbh.

I love MM but not sure how accessible it might be in a good/complete state even?

I had the same issue for the longest time!!! Every time I purchased a horse to train for the races, I would use the reigns normally to bring my horse outside to ride. However, the moment I jumped on my horse, my Wii system froze up so badly, I had to reset the entire system, all the while disconnecting cables because my TV was stuck on the same screen, playing annoying MM music. Then I decided one day to play the game on my Wii U, and it's worked fine ever since. Though, that would suck if someone new to the HM series purchased a bugged version of MM, and have it constantly crash within one minute of playing.
 
Reply with quote  
theboysareback
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 4:12 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

User avatar
Posts: 69

Offline
Wii MM was... my first harvest moon game. I'd NEVER replay but it managed to get me hooked even though in my opinion now it sucked.
 
Reply with quote  
ChaosAzerothCat
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 5:38 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Posts: 1084

Offline
Terra575 wrote:
ChaosAzerothCat wrote:
Getaris wrote:
From what I heard, the Wii version was a quick&dirty© rush job done to have a game to sell on the wii.

It is apparently worse in every aspect, but I've never played that version so I wouldn't really know the specifics.

Edit: and apparently the game we got on the game cube is based off the second Japanese version, it seems the original release was full of bugs and problems.


I'd managed to avoid most of the notorious bugs with other games yet Wii MM stopped working for no reason the very day I got it. Used copy, bad shape right? Used copy yes, bad shape no. Perfect condition. Each time I tried to play lasted less time than the last. Started crashing within 10 seconds of loading the file.

Dropped it a few months, decided for S&G to try again, working just fine as if nothing happened. No idea to this day « What The Eggplant » was up with all the random crashes but man did it piss me off tbh.

I love MM but not sure how accessible it might be in a good/complete state even?


That's both awful and weird about your bugs. Why didn't you return the copy?


At the time didn't have a car so was relying on other people and didn't have the receipt. It worked out in the end at least.

Not that it would have likely been easy anyway, pretty sure returns with Gamestop are a pain in the rear. IDK that husband got the insurance on it, so by the time we got back even if he had the receipt ((IDK I just know I didn't)) they would have likely accused me of breaking it myself.

Anna_Lynn wrote:
I had the same issue for the longest time!!! Every time I purchased a horse to train for the races, I would use the reigns normally to bring my horse outside to ride. However, the moment I jumped on my horse, my Wii system froze up so badly, I had to reset the entire system, all the while disconnecting cables because my TV was stuck on the same screen, playing annoying MM music. Then I decided one day to play the game on my Wii U, and it's worked fine ever since. Though, that would suck if someone new to the HM series purchased a bugged version of MM, and have it constantly crash within one minute of playing.


I only play it on Wii U, I played it on Wii U when it didn't work and when it did. No idea.
 
Reply with quote  
Shan O 123
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 6:58 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 7077

Offline
ChaosAzerothCat, returns to GameStop really isn't difficult. The one I live near to puts labels on the game box itself so returns isn't a issue. No questions ask.
 
Reply with quote  
ChaosAzerothCat
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 9:34 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Posts: 1084

Offline
Shan O 123 wrote:
ChaosAzerothCat, returns to GameStop really isn't difficult. The one I live near to puts labels on the game box itself so returns isn't a issue. No questions ask.


The one around here has not been that way.

My husband purchased insurance on a 3DS, we had had difficulty finding the receipt as it was put up, and they said according to their database he had not. I KNOW he did, I looked at the insurance stuff myself. On top of that, while previously we were told we a had a limited time to return items, we've been told recently by employees either nothing of the sort or that it had to be insured to be returned. They've required receipts every time but the time that I picked up my Grand Bazaar preorder which was good because the ink literally wore off of it. And since they've required them for pre-orders .

I mean the game is clearly from them but they basically have started trying to act like everyone is pulling a fast one on them anymore around here at least...

Whether or not that's how it's supposed to be I don't think would really matter as it's not like I can MAKE them adhere to anything.

Not a huge deal, like i said the game started working as mysteriously as it stopped.
 
Reply with quote  
Terra575
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 02, 2017 11:42 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 2020

Offline
theboysareback wrote:
Wii MM was... my first harvest moon game. I'd NEVER replay but it managed to get me hooked even though in my opinion now it sucked.


But in playing the wii version, it sounds like you didn't get to experience the full potential of the game. (if you had a lot of bugs, that is)
 
Reply with quote  
Trurotaketwo
  Post subject: Re: Best Introduction to HM?
Post Posted: Jul 03, 2017 6:02 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

User avatar
Posts: 71

Offline
I'd say the Gameboy Color port of the first game. That was my introduction to the series, way back when.

Image

True, there are much better and more polished instalments in the series, but that's why GBC works as an introduction game- it's the most bare bones title in the franchise, in which farming is all you do. So if people don't enjoy the farming, then Harvest Moon probably isn't for them. If, however, they enjoy it, they can then move on to the newer and better games. Best of all, it's release on the 3DS virtual console makes it both cheap and easily accessible.
 
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


All times are UTC - 8 hours


 

Search this topic:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group