Ocean plot land quality and buying land

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Lin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Hey, I was just wondering if I choose ocean plot I understand the soil quality is poor but if I fertilize the soil will it stay high quality or would I need to put fertilizer every time I grow new crops or something? Like basically can I raise the quality permanently and if not how long does it last?

Also, when I looked at the map of the village on site it said light green areas are land you can buy or people can move to... How does that work? Like can I have an NPC move to a place I want to buy and then I can't buy it anymore?
Sir Stardust
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I think after you fertilize a plot, the quality will stay higher.

There are specific plots that you can buy, and specific plots that people can move to, and these are separate. So don't worry, people won't move into plots and lock you out of buying them. :) They're just all light green because no one actually owns them yet.

If you get the ocean plot, though, you can still grow crops on other plots. And the plots that you don't choose won't have so many trees growing on them from the start, so they'll be easier to use, too.
Lin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Oh thanks, it's too bad they're all same color though because I kinda wanted to plan stuff out. X.x
Burning Spear
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

In my opinion, the ocean plot is the best. You can fit the large barn and large chicken coop, and there's still plenty of room for farming. Fertilize once and the soil is as fertile as anywhere else. Plus, there is an adjacent plot for your windmill and about four more 3x3 farming areas.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

i usually buy the river plot for my house and i buy the ocean plot for the barn and coop and fence that area off so all the animals can roam and graze in a nice big field. one of the things i like most about that game is being able to own multiple plots of land and more than one house. i really hope we get another game similar to mm someday, its one of my favorites.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I don't like plots of land to be disjointed like MM is though... I don't wanna have to walk South a bunch just to take care of my animals as I step over neighbors plots of land. x.x Feels off to me.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Well there is a really big plot you can buy thats not far from the ocean, so i usually buy that as soon as im able and then relocate my house to that plot. I can understand wanting to have everything on one plot though
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I like starting with the town plot and walking to the river plot to plant stuff.

Then I buy the land next to my house to build the chicken coop and eventually the barn.

Also if you plan to plant trees, do it before buying the plots. Planting trees in public spaces gives you a friendship bonus with everyone in town I think.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Somehow the 'small but fertile' plot has ALWAYS sucked for me. Just as bad as ocean. I always started with the biggest and it's been the best way to go for me at least tbh.
FaerieFarm
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Town Plot worked the best for me. There's some nice fertile ground on the "public" land at the nearby river so I can grow some quality breadfruits and start making money quickly. There's plenty of purchasable land nearby to expand the farm, NPCs nearby to socialize with, and the mine isn't so far away.

One bad thing is having my livestock grazing so close to Blue Sky Ranch's livestock can cause some serious lag. Too many NPCs on the screen for the GameCube to handle :lol: