Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Nov 27, 2020 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What Do You Hate?
The Littering Penalty
Gifting Other Candidates and Villagers
Having Animals Dying
Passing Out
The Long (can't skip) Tutorials!
The Ridiculous Amount Of Marriage Requirements
All The Above
You may select up to 2 options

View results
Harvest Moon Kid
Post Posted: Dec 19, 2018 4:11 pm 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Saffy wrote:
I really hate having to go through the ever so long tutorials... When you've played a lot of harvest moon, SoS, or any kind of farm game really, its just not hard to get the hang of things on your own. It slows down progress for the veterans lol.

I agree, what you're saying but it couldn't hurt to go over some things in the tutorials even if some of us are veterans or not in all three franchises just as a fresh reminder what to do.

ChaosAzerothCat
Post Posted: Dec 19, 2018 4:25 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Harvest Moon Kid wrote:
Saffy wrote:
I really hate having to go through the ever so long tutorials... When you've played a lot of harvest moon, SoS, or any kind of farm game really, its just not hard to get the hang of things on your own. It slows down progress for the veterans lol.

I agree, what you're saying but it couldn't hurt to go over some things in the tutorials even if some of us are veterans or not in all three franchises just as a fresh reminder what to do.

If it were optional, like in SI then of course. But the games make you do it, which is boring. I'm all for as many options to make games as fun as possible for as many people as possible, but when games make you do something like that it's not really beneficial or fun for everyone.

Like being forced to do tutorials is why I absolutely won't play some games, because I'd like to restart but it's not worth it to me to be made to go through that again. I don't begrudge them existing, in fact I'm glad they do, I begrudge being forced to do them.

Harvest Moon Kid
Post Posted: Dec 19, 2018 4:49 pm 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

ChaosAzerothCat wrote:
Harvest Moon Kid wrote:
Saffy wrote:

If it were optional, like in SI then of course. But the games make you do it, which is boring. I'm all for as many options to make games as fun as possible for as many people as possible, but when games make you do something like that it's not really beneficial or fun for everyone.

Like being forced to do tutorials is why I absolutely won't play some games, because I'd like to restart but it's not worth it to me to be made to go through that again. I don't begrudge them existing, in fact I'm glad they do, I begrudge being forced to do them.

In SoS1 using the (Y) button I believe, and it would "skip" threw the reading for you.

Kikki
Post Posted: Dec 20, 2018 4:59 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Their should always be full-skip options in these games, imo. With a warning, of course, just in case of accident...an 'Are you SURE you want to skip this tutorial?' confirmation to choose after you try to skip, just to make sure it wasn't done accidentally. But then it should full skip the entire thing, not just slightly speed it up.

They're always very considerate of newbies, with huge, burdensome tutorial portions, and then ways to check again ever afterward...help options on your shelf and so on...plus in Trio, you could go back to Frank at any time in the entire game, on any morning, and get a refresher tutorial from him. So they're always plenty considerate toward newcomers, imo. I don't know why they don't think as much of their long-standing fans and give them a full-skip option for this stuff.

You could almost entirely skip tutorials in Trio, though there was no avoiding the slow start-up days. Not sure how they could bypass that, though, even though it's really dull to go through the first week or so if you're replaying.

Harvest Moon Kid
Post Posted: Dec 20, 2018 2:41 pm 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Kikki wrote:
Their should always be full-skip options in these games, imo. With a warning, of course, just in case of accident...an 'Are you SURE you want to skip this tutorial?' confirmation to choose after you try to skip, just to make sure it wasn't done accidentally. But then it should full skip the entire thing, not just slightly speed it up.

They're always very considerate of newbies, with huge, burdensome tutorial portions, and then ways to check again ever afterward...help options on your shelf and so on...plus in Trio, you could go back to Frank at any time in the entire game, on any morning, and get a refresher tutorial from him. So they're always plenty considerate toward newcomers, imo. I don't know why they don't think as much of their long-standing fans and give them a full-skip option for this stuff.

You could almost entirely skip tutorials in Trio, though there was no avoiding the slow start-up days. Not sure how they could bypass that, though, even though it's really dull to go through the first week or so if you're replaying.

I usually, just use the (A) button kinda quickly and skip the tutorials.

Kikki
Post Posted: Dec 20, 2018 2:43 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I'm not satisfied with quickly going through the text...I want a full-skip option :)

Sir Stardust
Post Posted: Dec 20, 2018 7:23 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

I liked how Sunshine Islands handled it. An option for a tutorial popped up every time you got something new like an animal or mining so you never felt overwhelmed by getting everything at once, and you always had the option to view it or just skip it.

Edit: Oh, I see someone else already brought up SI. Well, if more people than just me remember that part, it must have been done pretty well.

I’d love to play ANB again, but I just can’t do it. I always quit before that horrible first month is over. It’s not as bad in SoS1, but I still dislike forced tutorials.

Harvest Moon Kid
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2018 7:16 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Sir Stardust wrote:
I liked how Sunshine Islands handled it. An option for a tutorial popped up every time you got something new like an animal or mining so you never felt overwhelmed by getting everything at once, and you always had the option to view it or just skip it.

Edit: Oh, I see someone else already brought up SI. Well, if more people than just me remember that part, it must have been done pretty well.

I’d love to play ANB again, but I just can’t do it. I always quit before that horrible first month is over. It’s not as bad in SoS1, but I still dislike forced tutorials.

I think stop playing in Island of Happiness because I couldn't make enough G and when I did, had to use it on those bridges.

Kikki wrote:
I'm not satisfied with quickly going through the text...I want a full-skip option :)

That's the only usually how to skip the tutorials really... but the last question in all the tutorials is for them not to teach you how to do things.

Karry
Post Posted: Dec 22, 2018 12:30 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

The tutorials are definitely the worst.

Everything else I'm pretty okay with, except maybe for the littering penalty in the games where you can't put items down and pick them up. It's so stupid when you're trying to give someone something or put something in your shipping box, only to miss and have it disappear, and the penalty adds insult to injury.

Harvest Moon Kid
Post Posted: Dec 22, 2018 12:40 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Karry wrote:
The tutorials are definitely the worst.

Everything else I'm pretty okay with, except maybe for the littering penalty in the games where you can't put items down and pick them up. It's so stupid when you're trying to give someone something or put something in your shipping box, only to miss and have it disappear, and the penalty adds insult to injury.

Yeah, I totally agree with that about the penalty.

Keera
Post Posted: Dec 26, 2018 9:01 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

The long intro/tutorials, for sure. I get that they're beginner-friendly, but I'm with several others here in wanting an option to full-skip these tutorials. If I'm just starting a second file, I don't want to have to go through the gruelling week long tutorial with limited actions just to play the game.

The marriage requirements can be kind of obnoxious, too, and that might be over the tutorials if I couldn't easily find online what I needed to do.

Harvest Moon Kid
Post Posted: Dec 26, 2018 10:47 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Keera wrote:
The long intro/tutorials, for sure. I get that they're beginner-friendly, but I'm with several others here in wanting an option to full-skip these tutorials. If I'm just starting a second file, I don't want to have to go through the gruelling week long tutorial with limited actions just to play the game.

The marriage requirements can be kind of obnoxious, too, and that might be over the tutorials if I couldn't easily find online what I needed to do.

I believe we all in agreement that the tutorials aren't the best.

Fishy
Post Posted: Jan 18, 2019 11:57 am 
Anonymous Fish

There are 8 specific things I hate:

1. Not having all the marriageable candidates/characters unlocked from the start and being forced to do the story in order to get them. I play HM 100% for the freedom and to be as stress-free as possible, I absolutely despise the trend in these newer games that basically gate actual characters and essentially force you to do the plot rather than have them be available from the start and allow you to go at your own pace. TOT and AP did this and so did ANB (by far the worst offender) and I'm sorry but its not fun and completely defeats the whole purpose of HM in the first place. I'm not even that crazy about the idea of a plot in HM in the first place, why can't it be like 64 and BTN where you're just dumped on your farm and have free reign with no characters locked from then on? But if there has to be a plot and gated content at least make that content actual *things* rather than people.

And here's where I'll give SOS some actual credit because at least those ridiculous locks were on animals and other miscellaneous things rather than people. Its not so bad if the town isn't fully populated at the start just as long as all the characters eventually start showing up on their own like in 3OT and SOS, just please don't force me to do stuff in order to get those characters!

2. Dialogue based on heart/affection levels rather than RNG. I think one of the reasons games like 64, RF4/RF3 and to a lesser extent BTN are so venerated and praised for their dialogue compared to other HMs is not necessarily because they have so much more but the way they use what they have. Rather than having set lines of dialogue for each heart level that only change once it goes up they need to bring back RNG rotating dialogue so that you're never getting the same piece of dialogue for days on end. This is how one uses RNG the right way to enhance the experience rather than cripple it (Looking at you RF4 and your attempt at using RNG for literally everything!)

3. Time both being too fast and too slow. What do I mean by this? Isn't this a direct contradiction? Let me explain: 64 and BTN aren't just held up on a pedestal due to their dialogue and atmosphere but imo the Time system was absolutely perfected in both those entries and has yet to be topped since. To this day I believe HM64 still has the best executed Time system bar none. Its a masterpiece of mechanics. Yes its incredibly fast but the fact that time stops indoors and the layout is designed in such a way so as you'll always be somewhere near a building in town makes it both challenging but not impossible to complete all your chores + socialize in a single day. Its literally designed so you can have enough time to do everything yet still make it snappy so that its easy to pick up and play and get very far in only a few days time.

This new 25min in RL time where time now no longer pauses indoors is both too long and too stressful and too much of a frantic rush. Its literally the worst of both words and doesn't make the games easy to pick up and play in the slightest.

5. The unskippable insufferably long Tutorials, nough said.

6. No more rival system. Yeah just have all the characters lives stagnate like that why don't ya? That definitely gives me motivation to continue playing after marriage! /s

7. The double watering concept. Just needlessly try to stretch out the days even more so now you're practically forced to play a whole 25 min day long. No, bad Marvelous, bad! HM is meant to simulate chores, not actually be one!

8. The fact that when your kid is just a baby you can no longer pick it up and carry it around town showing it to everyone. Why exactly? I miss seeing everyone's reactions to my kid like they had in N6 dammit!

Pachi
Post Posted: Jan 18, 2019 3:53 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

I agree so much with not being able to pick up the baby. They made the baby so cute to the point it makes me want to show them off but I can't ??

Harvest Moon Kid
Post Posted: Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Pachi wrote:
I agree so much with not being able to pick up the baby. They made the baby so cute to the point it makes me want to show them off but I can't ??

Yeah, I never really understood that they let us have a baby but we can't pick him/her up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next