Ignoring Cliff seems to help raise his heart level?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

So I thought this was kind of weird, and just wanted to see if maybe anyone else has experienced it, or at least has an explanation for it.

I’m on Spring 1, day 30, and haven’t really spoken to Cliff much. The last time I spoke to him he was at purple heart, but when I went by the church today he was all the way at a green heart. I haven’t really done anything I can think of that would raise the whole town’s affection (if there is such a thing in BtN), so I’m kind of at a loss here.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Have you been to any festivals? That often raises friendship with villagers in other games (though I don’t know about this one specifically).
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Code_Name_Geek wrote:Have you been to any festivals? That often raises friendship with villagers in other games (though I don’t know about this one specifically).
Hmm yeah, I had been t the horse race and the cooking festival since I’d last spoken to him, but I didn’t even submit a dish to the cooking festival or anything. I think you might be right, but it seems like such a big jump over nothing, haha, especially since I didn’t really notice that with the other bachelors.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

gossipstone wrote:Hmm yeah, I had been t the horse race and the cooking festival since I’d last spoken to him, but I didn’t even submit a dish to the cooking festival or anything. I think you might be right, but it seems like such a big jump over nothing, haha, especially since I didn’t really notice that with the other bachelors.
I suppose it’s possible that NPCs only get a friendship boost if there physically present at the festivals and Cliff just happened to be at both while others weren’t? That’s just speculation though…

One other thing could be if you’ve triggered a heart event with him. I’ve often seen heart levels go up after heart events because you often get a bunch of friendship points for them.

Again I’m not familiar with this game, but in Harvest Moon 64 (the game it’s based on) there was an event with Cliff where he showed up on your farm one morning faint with hunger and you could choose to feed him if you had food on hand, which I believe also raised his friendship.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Code_Name_Geek wrote:
gossipstone wrote:Hmm yeah, I had been t the horse race and the cooking festival since I’d last spoken to him, but I didn’t even submit a dish to the cooking festival or anything. I think you might be right, but it seems like such a big jump over nothing, haha, especially since I didn’t really notice that with the other bachelors.
I suppose it’s possible that NPCs only get a friendship boost if there physically present at the festivals and Cliff just happened to be at both while others weren’t? That’s just speculation though…

One other thing could be if you’ve triggered a heart event with him. I’ve often seen heart levels go up after heart events because you often get a bunch of friendship points for them.

Again I’m not familiar with this game, but in Harvest Moon 64 (the game it’s based on) there was an event with Cliff where he showed up on your farm one morning faint with hunger and you could choose to feed him if you had food on hand, which I believe also raised his friendship.
Nah, I hadn’t triggered any of his heart events after I started ignoring him, I guess because I was ignoring him haha. Based on the guides I’m following, it also seems like you can’t really trigger anything more for him unless you’ve done the winery event with him and Duke? I’m really not sure, though, because a lot of the guides out there for the girl version are pretty sparse, so I’ve just been following multiple ones to try to cover my tracks.