Confirmed Domestic Violence in HM

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

This is why you should NEVER allow Cliff and Ann to get married in HM64!

I remembered this from my childhood, but when I went to search for it in recent years I couldn't find anything about it. I didn't see anyone mentioning it or any screencaps, but I knew it happened. Gah I should have stuck to my guns and ran Cliff outta town after I got his recipe! :x
ImageImage
Last edited by Samansu on Jul 06, 2019 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

It might just be me, but your images aren’t working. :(

I’ve heard about this, though. It’s pretty disturbing. :/
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

gossipstone wrote:It might just be me, but your images aren’t working. :(

I’ve heard about this, though. It’s pretty disturbing. :/
Ah thanks for letting me know! I think I fixed it so it should be good now.

But yeah definitely disturbing. There is some dark stuff in this one and Back to Nature. :(
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Not blaming Cliff btw. Also obviously Cliff isn't being shown as the abusive one since Ann hits him. I only want to have him leave town because that is the only way to prevent him and Ann from getting married unless you marry Ann. I personally don't like Ann enough to marry her, so I have to get rid of Cliff to prevent the abuse.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

that's terrible :(
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I'm genuinely curious about whether this was meant to be humorous or not. Even now in Japanese media abuse from a woman is generally seen as nothing serious or even funny. But judging from the dialogue here that isn't the case.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

white66 wrote:I'm genuinely curious about whether this was meant to be humorous or not. Even now in Japanese media abuse from a woman is generally seen as nothing serious or even funny. But judging from the dialogue here that isn't the case.
If this is the case then it could possibly have been lost in translation. But wow, sometimes I forget how dark this game got at times…
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I know the game can get dark at times and I do remember folks talking about the event, but are we sure she hit him? Based on purely these images, it's kind of vague. Never played the game myself and didn't even like Cliff x Ann in MFoMT, but was just curious.
Gothicat
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

This is the reason why I don't let Cliff marry Ann in the GBA games (and if rival marriages are back in the remake, I won't let it happen either). I know Ann doesn't do this in those games, but this left a really bad taste in my mouth, and I'll always see them as a terrible couple. HM was darker back in those days, so I doubt humour was the intent.
Blue Rose wrote:I know the game can get dark at times and I do remember folks talking about the event, but are we sure she hit him? Based on purely these images, it's kind of vague. Never played the game myself and didn't even like Cliff x Ann in MFoMT, but was just curious.
They made this portrait just for this, so I think what happened is pretty clear. Maybe she didn't directly hit him, maybe she threw something or opened a door and he hit his head in it accidentally, but the result is, he has a black eye and she doesn't. So whatever fight they had, she was more aggressive than he was. I think you can get this more than once, so she doesn't learn even if it was an accident.
Last edited by Gothicat on Jul 06, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

white66 wrote:I'm genuinely curious about whether this was meant to be humorous or not. Even now in Japanese media abuse from a woman is generally seen as nothing serious or even funny. But judging from the dialogue here that isn't the case.
Yeah I don't know. That is absolutely terrible if that is the case. Nobody should be abusing anyone! I don't think it was meant to be funny, but hey you never know.
I know the game can get dark at times and I do remember folks talking about the event, but are we sure she hit him? Based on purely these images, it's kind of vague. Never played the game myself and didn't even like Cliff x Ann in MFoMT, but was just curious.
I mean I guess she might not have, but it really seems that is the implication. He has a black eye added to his photo and only has that with this dialogue. He and Ann both constantly talk about how they argue a lot and fight even without this dialogue. Not to mention in their final love event Ann calls him a coward and either punches or pushes him to the ground. I was unable to trigger that scene and they just got married, but I know I have seen that one too. With all of that it really seems they are saying Ann hit him during their fight. So dark and awful... :(
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I also wondered if they meant for it to be seen as funny. You see it a lot in shonen manga in particular...girls beating the doo-doo out of guys. Think Sakura from Naruto, sending Naruto flying with streams of blood and leaving him a face disfigured with huge lumps. The next panel he's fine, of course, but it seems to be put in as though it were funny. I've never really thought violence was funny from anyone, but yeah, you see it a loooooot in shonen mangas, ime. (Not so much in shoujo mangas unless the guy grabs an inappropriate body part...usually by misunderstanding/accident, and then he's seen in the next panel sporting a red handprint on his face.)

This looks more serious, but even so, I'm not sure how they meant for it to be perceived. Do we know how the Japanese players received that event?
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: This looks more serious, but even so, I'm not sure how they meant for it to be perceived. Do we know how the Japanese players received that event?
I always wondered that and I don't know. I thought that kind of thing was funny when I was in Middle School, but I also had some anger issues and would smack male friends on the head sometimes. I felt horrible about that when I got older and was so apologetic to my guys friends. It def wasn't funny or cool. It is upsetting that it is played for laughs so much in anime. I was ashamed of my behavior for sure as anyone should be about that kind of thing! :(

What I find very interesting and disturbing is that Cliff is the only one that hints at physical abuse. Gray and Doug say nothing about Ann and Cliff fighting all the time. While Ann says things like 'Cliff's problem is he worries too much about what will happen if things go bad. But if I try to tell him he is being stupid we will get in another big argument!' Cliff also says 'My wife is doing fine. She scolds me every day.' It is so clear their relationship is bad and toxic, but just odd that no one else mentions anything about it. :shock:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It seems to be something that children, boys in particular, just think is funny. Ha ha! You got beat up by a GIIIIIIRL! And then there are never any further consequences. I really don't know how they wanted the Bokumono fans to see all of that. It doesn't look cute to me in the game, but...I have no idea what they actually intended. It seems kind of advanced if they meant it as social commentary in a game intended as family-friendly, but adult themes are often snuck into children's games/movies/etc in a subtle way that a child could never recognize for what it is.
Last edited by Kikki on Jul 06, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:It seems to be something that children, boys in particular, just think is funny. Ha ha! You got beat up by a GIIIIIIRL! And then there are never any further consequences. I really don't know how they wanted the Bokumono fans to see all of that. It doesn't look cute to me in the game, but...I have no idea what they actually intended. It seems kind of advanced if they meant it as social commentary, but adult themes are often snuck into children's games/movies/etc in a subtle way that a child could never recognize for what it is.
Well even as a child I found this very disturbing and distasteful. I played this when I was 10 and married adults fighting and someone having a black eye wasn't funny it was terrible and wrong. It stuck with me for all these years and I felt so crazy looking back and remembering it, but not being able to find any evidence of it online. Like it might have been more funny if Kent got a black eye from playing with May. Maaaybe... But May is a sweetie and wouldn't do that. Just so weird.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I remember that.

Never really thought much of it.

Though it did leave with me notion that Ann was volatile, regardless of the game.