It is currently Feb 18, 2020 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Bluie
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Nintendo Listing: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/d ... ns-switch/

Steam Listing: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9652 ... F_SEASONS/

We're now less than five days away from the western release of Doraemon Story of Seasons, so I think it's time to have a release thread. It's for in general anything pertaining to the game - hype, help, chatting, and anything else. I will be personally purchasing the game come friday as soon as it's available so i'll give some impressions once I have some.

For now I guess I'll start us off with asking who else is getting this game?

Last edited by Bluie on Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 12:52 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I’m debating on it. We’ll see.

Kross lover/fan
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 1:23 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I want to get this but I’ll see how much I get paid. This isn’t on the very top of my list so if I have money left over then I’ll get it, if not then I’ll hold off. Will definitely check out this thread either way :3

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 1:24 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I also haven't decided, but probably. Sooner or later! Definitely not on release, or in October at all. I may want it in December since I have NOTHING coming out that month, not even 'maybe'-level games. It's really beautiful and the farming seems great, so it'll always be on my list of potentials. As soon as I have a gap I want to fill (and can afford to fill) I'll most likely be getting it. It'll be good to hear from a few FOGU peoples, though.

Burning Spear
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 3:55 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

I'll purchase it at launch. I've been up to my eyeballs in work for months, but I'm hoping I can squeeze out a few hours somewhere this weekend to play. So excited to finally be playing a new BM on the big screen.

Pachi
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Not a first day buy for me but it's definitely in my radar because of how charming the trailers are! I think I'll be pretty busy with FE3H and Pokemon until December-ish, so I'll see until then. I'm looking forward to Ushi peeps' impressions of it :)

Picasso
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 7:24 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I'll be picking it up on launch. I've been looking forward to getting into another Story of Seasons game.

*LaI*
Post Posted: Oct 07, 2019 11:48 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I've had it preordered for a while, quite excited for friday. I've been playing Portia lately, but I'm looking forward a more traditional (even if it's a spin off) BM game.

Bluie
Post Posted: Oct 08, 2019 3:36 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Glad to see I'm not alone! I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with y'all.

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 08, 2019 3:46 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I'm still a bit concerned about how many people I see (mostly not on FOGU), not realizing that this isn't a 'real' Bokumono game, it's a Doraemon game (in the same way that Hyrule Warriors isn't an actual Legend of Zelda game, it's a Warriors game. Which isn't to say it isn't worth playing!) Somehow there's always so much confusion around the Bokumono brand, that you'd never get with Legend of Zelda or other big names. I don't think ANYONE bought Hyrule Warriors without being fully aware that it was a spin-off.

It's not that there's anything wrong with this being a spin-off. But I'm afraid that people who pick it up and play without realizing that it IS a spin-off that is made by Brownies, not Marvelous, stand a much higher chance of being disappointed with their purchase, since this game lacks a major aspect of the Bokumono games...all of the dating/marriage/child-having stuff...and if they buy assuming those aspects will be in the game, this would be an unpleasant surprise. So I just hope that the majority of people who are buying know what they're actually getting.

Bluie
Post Posted: Oct 08, 2019 5:54 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I don't find that the game is trying to be deceiving in any way though. It's still a Bokumono game, just that it's a spinoff in the same vein as PoPoLoCrois. The game description itself even goes to lengths to ensure people know this is a spinoff. If people are upset over being bamboozled into buying it due to the branding, I'm not going to have much sympathy because all the info is right there and in their face.

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 08, 2019 6:41 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Well, I wasn't trying to say the game is TRYING to confuse anyone. But I dunno, I felt that the whole 'Story of Seasons' tack-on to PopoloCrois was very misleading. Even Tom Lipschultz (Wyrdwad), formerly from Xseed and who worked on that game and was the primary impetus for the game coming to North America, said that he felt it was, too. He agreed that people who bought the game because it said 'Story of Seasons' and were expecting Bokumono-style gameplay from it were likely to be disappointed. A lot of people were quite disillusioned after trying the game and finding the gameplay had extremely little in common with SoS. Even though I knew it was a spin-off when I bought it, I was surprised how minor a role anything SoS-like played in the game. It was barely a crossover at all.

Most people don't research their games or follow gaming news on the level that we do. We're the odd ones, in this, imo. As far as I know, Doraemon: SoS is a fair crossover in that farming is a BIG part of it, so there's that. But I did see people getting interested, and then being told that dating/marriage/child-raising was not a part of the game and then losing all interest again. But those are people who actually spend time online looking game news up...if were more standard game fans who don't do that, they would have had to purchase the game before finding that out.

It's only available on the eshop in North America and I assume most people will at least read the description before buying it, and it describes the game balance well enough. (Especially if you actually know anything about Doraemon, but most people I've talked to outside of FOGU don't know anything about Doraemon.) I just still think there's going to be a portion of people who buy expecting some SoS aspects that won't be in the game, and am hoping that portion of people isn't too large.

Bluie
Post Posted: Oct 08, 2019 6:49 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I do agree, but it still baffles me that people in this day and age who have the entire internet at their fingertip don't look into their purchases before dropping $50+ on something. Even the best brands have flops. Back in the day you had to rely on gaming magazines or hoping for the best when picking something up, but it's 2019 now.

A quick google of 'Doraemon' will tell them everything they need to know more or less and if they want to play a farming sim featuring the characters. I will admit that info on the game itself outside of the eShop description is hard to find in english, but that's why i'm here lol. Those of us interested regardless will be the 'pioneers' to see if anyone on the fence wants the game after others have experienced it.

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 08, 2019 7:03 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Oh yeah, I agree there...I'm always stumped by game fans who don't look their favourite series or anticipated games up on the internet.
Spoiler:
I can't STOP myself from hoarding every scrap of info! But even among my closer friends/family who are really into games, they do NOT look things up! Or...they look up the release date, and might catch a few details floating around, but that's about it. No hunting down all the info. Some people even specifically dislike learning info before playing the game for themselves cuz they feel it spoils it, so they avoid learning too much detail.

It's bizarre to me that I'm (or we are, since most people on FOGU would lean at least somewhat in the direction of knowing a bit about the game before buying, or they probably wouldn't be spending much time on a gaming forum in the first place) the minority in this but apparently it's not the standard, to know as much as we do before getting a game. I feel I MUST look things up with being as fussy as I am, and not having money to waste, so I try to eliminate the gamble in new-game-buying by finding out as much as I can before deciding to purchase since I am so often disappointed. But that doesn't seem to be the standard way to do things. I guess the normal way is to look at the games available and choose what you THINK you'll like, without going to much extra bother to research.
Overall I just don't want people to get even more confused about what Bokumono is. It's amazing to me that we're still dealing with all the confusion over Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons. Nothing I can do about it, though. And at least this game really IS a proper crossover, game-play-wise, not just Doraemon with 'SoS' tacked on. I'm not sure what the reception is going to be, but to me the only major thing this is missing from a Bokumono game is the dating/marriage/family stuff.

Actually, I don't know if it has friendship events. Obviously it doesn't have heart/flower events, but there is friendship-raising in this game, so...not sure about the status of events.

Bluie
Post Posted: Oct 09, 2019 2:36 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Two more days!

I will say that I have been observing pockets of people on reddit, gamefaqs, ect who are asking the right questions and figuring out whether they want the game or not. So far not a lot of negativity, so here's hoping there wont be a backlash. I know thats a small sample of the community, but still.