* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Sep 18, 2020 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Dec 29, 2019 10:01 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Yesterday Gammalad made a video on the subject and now I’m curious of what you guys think. Will we expect more remakes as well as new entries? I think it’d be nice either way.

Kikki
Post Posted: Dec 29, 2019 10:18 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Well, I don't know what to expect, but I wouldn't mind a few more remakes sprinkled in with new stuff. They did already say they'd consider more remakes if this one is successful. (Which to me means they've already decided to do more unless this one tanked. I don't know what the Japanese sales numbers were, but I don't think it did badly.)

But I do need NEW stuff! And the next game better be a new entry into the Bokumono series, meant to follow Trio of Towns (not be a sequel to it...just the next new game in the series.) I'd love a remake of Animal Parade and Hero of Leaf Valley (I name HoLV because I'm interested in the dozen+ different endings/routes.) It's clunky to play AP with the wiimote and the graphics could use an up-to-date spiffing. But not for the next game. I'll say it a million times if I'm prompted, but the game that follows SoS: FoMT needs to be a new game!

EDIT: Oh yeah. I didn't play the older games, but I've recalled that they used to reuse a lot of the characters. I wouldn't be into that. So if they remake FoMT, I wouldn't also want them to remake another game that used largely the same cast. That gets old super fast, for me. Meeting new characters is a big part of the charm, in my books.

Burning Spear
Post Posted: Dec 30, 2019 4:55 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

I think the next game has to be a completely new, full-effort, no-crossover Story of Seasons game. In my opinion, Marvelous has dropped the ball by standing by idly while other developers have invaded and saturated the farming-sim space. Marvelous needs to show the uninitiated that its games are the originals and still the best. We can't have people playing the Natsume games or the other cheap knockoffs and equating that to the Story of Seasons experience. I want a game that is the spiritual successor to where the series left off with Animal Parade and Tree of Tranquility. As for remakes, fine, but I'd rather not have them get in the way of new games.

CallieCat
Post Posted: Dec 31, 2019 3:52 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I don’t mind remakes as long as they are done very sporadically. What I really want next is a new SoS game with a completely new setting and characters that can stand on its own two feet without cramming references to older games down my throat. Easter eggs and slight nods to past games are fine as long as they aren’t intrusive and rob an original setting of its own identity. Also no wholesale recycling of entire casts of characters from previous games. One or two returning characters like how SoS had Cam and Reina come back as marriage candidates are fine though as well as contest judges returning. And if they want to do a timeline connecting games make the descendants (or ancestors if it is a prequel) original characters with original designs and not just reskins of past ones like DS did with FoMT and AWL.

In my opinion after the FoMT remake Marvelous should give the Mineral Town cast and its other counterparts a break so they don’t get over exposed and stale.

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Jan 01, 2020 2:09 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I wonder what they’d do in a new game :3

ChaosAzerothCat
Post Posted: Jan 01, 2020 9:55 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I'm honestly suspicious that they're going to end up doing more remakes for a while. But I feel like that depends on how the FoMT remake did in Japan more than anything. If it did well, I feel like we should expect more of them coming out for a bit tbh. I'm not sure how to find that kind of info tbh.

Maybe I'm just being suspicious for no reason.

Honestly I wish that we'd get crop hybrids in a more 'common'? SoS style game. I really loved that feature, but it's only in one game, and while that game is fun it's far more atmospheric/story than most games in the franchise. I'd really like to see it in a more gameplay focused game personally.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jan 03, 2020 6:57 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I wouldn't mind if their current engine kind of became the one for remakes. I've been wondering what everything in the FoMT remake would look like in a more full-3d environment... It would probably work pretty well for a lot of the other games they might want to remake.

If Marv is making decent money on their first attempt I imagine we'll start seeing more remakes...(if any other developer/publisher is an indicator :lol:) maybe even alternating between regular release and remake. I just hope we see something different for the next new game. This is the same sort of look we've seen for close to a decade now. Being back to making console games...let's mix it up.

If I'm asking I think I'd like them to rethink their approach to game design a little. Whoever it is that heads up that side of things seems to have a 'more is more' way of looking at things, based on the last few games.

Mecha-Lollipop
Post Posted: Jan 03, 2020 8:57 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers

I want a balance of remakes and new for sure. Which I think is their plan.

white66
Post Posted: Jan 04, 2020 2:54 pm 

I'm not sure about future remakes. Yes the FoMT remake is doing well, but that's also one of if not the most beloved game in the series. I'm having a hard time imagining them being as successful with a remake of say, AWL or MM, or even HM64.

Melody Muse
Post Posted: Jan 05, 2020 11:57 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I have a hunch that a remake of AWL or DS (since DS was kind of a remake of AWL) would do well. But that's just my opinion/guess.

I have a few guesses though of what might come in the future. Sadly I doubt rival marriages will return in the series, even as much as I want them too. The fact that they got taken out of the remake of FoMT when I believe they were present in the original seems to indicate as such. I also am going to take a leap of faith and say I think the old style mines will come back (yay), since they weren't really touched or altered in the remake. I also think we can expect more focus on events and character development, since Trio did such a great job with it.

Now as for my hopes? I really hope that the system from Trio gets simplified. I hated having so many feeds and fertilizers and each one raising a different thing. I much preferred the farming system in SoS. I also would love rival marriages to come in as optional DLC, buuuuuut I doubt that will happen either.

Remakes wise, I'd love to see AWL/DS or HoLV remade. :) I imagine them alternating between remakes and new games is likely, since that's a popular route to take.

Overall though, I have yet to dislike any game in the series, so I just will be happy when we get SoS:FoMT localized and also when they announce a new game.

Bluie
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 5:32 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

It's way up in the air imo because of where their audience is at right now. FoMT remake seemed like a social experiment to see if poking at nostalgia still works with the older fans while also drawing in the newer fans at the same time. They could probably churn out a few more remakes if they wanted or just go straight to a new game too and probably have the same reception regardless. Their brand sells like hotcakes in the current market, It might not be that way forever, but as of now, they can't make a wrong decision.

I'm personally happy that Rune Factory 5 is a thing and I don't really care where the main series goes next, but I'll buy them both anyways.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 6:00 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

The Marv team did claim, shortly after the news about SoS: FoMT was released, that they are also working on the next new game in the series, so we should be guaranteed to have the next game be a new one...but I've never felt confident that that was anything more than PR talk. I certainly hope it's true, though.

I'm extremely happy about Rune Factory 5, and love RF enough that if Bokumono stopped being something I enjoy, I might be able to shift my allegiance to it, but as things are, I care more about the main series, and it's super important to me that they get on with the next NEW game. Honestly when they first announced SoS: FoMT, I was leaning more toward 'devastated' than happy. I wasn't even a tiny bit happy, if I'm to be totally honest. Cuz I knew that, no matter what they say, it meant that the next new game was even further off than we'd thought, and remakes can be cute little fill-ins, but I'd rather not have them. (I haven't had any desire to play these games at all, including FoMT. Being remade fresh with smoother mechanics and refreshed graphics makes them more appealing to me, but not nearly to the point of them simply continuing the series with new entries.)

If it makes the fandom happy, then I'm okay with some remakes working their way in, and there're a few games (which I mentioned previously) that I'd actually like to be able to play, spiffed up to modern console levels. But honestly for myself, if Marvelous left the decision up to me (lol), I'd say no. No remakes, thanks...not if it takes the dev team away from making new games. Not even if the remakes are to be of the games I find most promising out of the existing Bokumono catalogue.

Everything is already known about these remakes. A new game has all-new characters and events and goals to discover, and possibly new mechanics and so on. That's a crucial and exciting part, for me, that no remake can ever provide. Plus I've never been a fan of the older Bokumono games anyway...I'm very much a fan of the most recent games, from ANB on. I'm hoping I'll like SoS: FoMT, but I think there's a good chance I won't care for it, since the original never interested me.

I'm just not the target market for remakes, lol. It's not fans like me they're aiming to please, with this. I'm happy for those who this DOES aim to please, but for me...next!

Code_Name_Geek
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 8:47 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this was the perfect time for a remake of such a popular entry in the series. Being the first main series entry on a home console since the Wii, it gives them more time to make the first new entry on the Switch stand out from the 3DS entries (if that’s what they’re going for). It also allows them to reach more audiences in more than one way: old fans of the series who haven’t kept up with the series in recent years and are unaware of the name change to Story of Seasons, as well as fans of Stardew Valley which took a lot of inspiration mechanics-wise from that era of BokuMono games (I’ve also wondered if the addition of the “best friends” system might be partly because of the massive success of Stardew Valley, but that’s pure speculation). And I guess any potential fans from the Doraemon crossover too (possibly more applicable in Japan where I’d imagine Doraemon is more popular). Plus there’s always a chance to draw in new players when moving to a new system, especially since I think the Switch has already outsold the 3DS? So their timing for a remake couldn’t be any better if they’re looking to reach new audiences, IMO.

I do think new titles will be coming after this remake, though, as it also makes sense to draw those potential new players into the modern era of the series. I’d be happy with both remakes and new entries, and a balance of the two seems the smart way to go if this remake does well. Myself I’d love to see a remake of HMDS or AWL, and maybe also Animal Parade, but I’d be happy with pretty much anything.

I echo the sentiments that the farming system in 3oT was a little too complicated, and I also found the farm planning kind of frustrating. But I loved just about everything else about that game so if they were to simplify the farming a little and continue along that line of character development, plus the return of a big forest/mountain/foraging area, I’d be pretty happy! Better mining would be nice as well; has there ever been a farming game with a rogue-like style of mining? That would be pretty cool.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 11:25 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

This thread could be answered a lot of different ways, depending on how you interpret it. It could be asking what we, personally, want. Or it could be for our predictions of what we think will actually happen. Or it could be asking what we think should happen, based on what would be the most financially successful for Marvelous and capture the most fans/consumers.

My answer would be different each way, lol. If they were going to do a remake, I feel like it should have been out a year earlier, and they should be now getting close to the Japanese release of a new game. They left the Nintendo Switch for 2.5 years with no Bokumono games on it. Imo, the momentum would have been great if they'd released SoS: FoMT closer to the Switch's beginning.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 11:50 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Code_Name_Geek wrote:
Plus there’s always a chance to draw in new players when moving to a new system, especially since I think the Switch has already outsold the 3DS?
That was an interesting one to look up...I think Wikipedia is a BIT off, because I seem to remember seeing word that the Switch hit 50 million units over the holidays, but they list the 3DS at at 75 million. (The DS is the mind boggling one though...154 million units. Woof.)

It's definitely going to be a complicated prospect for Marvelous...finding some sort of middle ground. I don't think I'd be happy if they just used the same style/models from the last few games. It's not easy to find an art style that looks good in handheld and on a TV. That was one of my hesitations with Pokemon...I've yet to see any effort from Gamefreak to make a home console 'style' for their games, they still feel like handhelds.

I'm gonna keep fingers crossed that Marv is putting in the work to make the next game something special. Because I know they CAN. If they don't, their domination in the market could be at stake. Small fish, mostly, but there's a lot more fish in the pond these days...