* Search  * Register
It is currently Sep 18, 2020 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Code_Name_Geek
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 11:54 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Kikki wrote:
If they were going to do a remake, I feel like it should have been out a year earlier, and they should be now getting close to the Japanese release of a new game. They left the Nintendo Switch for 2.5 years with no Bokumono games on it. Imo, the momentum would have been great if they'd released SoS: FoMT closer to the Switch's beginning.
Actually yeah I agree with this. I know 3oT was released late in the 3DS’s lifespan but still. I guess maybe they were too busy with Rune Factory 4/5? Though neither of those are out yet either so it’s hard to say… So I’ll revise my “perfect time” slightly to say good timing chronologically, maybe could have been earlier timeline-wise.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

In theory, they shouldn't have been too busy. Hakama split off and formed their own group and have been in charge of Rune Factory, so it wasn't handled in-house at Marvelous JP at all. Depends on if Marvelous has kept a big enough dev team within their main section to do this stuff, or not. But the same people haven't worked on SoS: FoMT as have/are on RF, unless I'm missing something.

Since remakes almost always seem to be faster/require less time, I feel like they could have released SoS: FoMT about 2 years after Trio of Towns, even if the remake is supposed to be a testing ground for creating for the Switch...but it was more like 3.3 years. (Waiting that long for a remake instead of a new game still feels awful, to me, lol.) I think the gap is making them seem less relevant in the genre. People are still confused since Natsume has been active in this time...at least in North America, I'm not sure if it's available in Japan or not... and Stardew is huge here and in Japan. Stardew may be the reason this happened...I honestly don't know. If so, that may be why it's so late in coming. Still, I feel like coming out a year earlier would have been best. Not because I personally want this game sooner, but just because it felt like they were losing ground to other farming games for the whole of the Switch's lifespan thus far.

EDIT: I also think that if this game really was a testing ground, for creating for the Switch and the new level of graphics they can use and so on, and if remakes would be popular or not, and to test the reception of the Best Friends system, that it means they couldn't have done much work on the new game until after SoS: FoMT was out. Because it'd be hard to use what they learned from both creating and getting the response to SoS: FoMT in a new game before the game was out.

I don't know how it all works, but that's what it makes me think. I just hope the new game really is underway. I do hope the remake is/was successful, though. Even if it means more remakes, which I'm not crazy about...more Bokumono games are better than less, for me.

white66
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 5:47 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Kikki wrote:
Since remakes almost always seem to be faster/require less time, I feel like they could have released SoS: FoMT about 2 years after Trio of Towns, even if the remake is supposed to be a testing ground for creating for the Switch...but it was more like 3.3 years. (Waiting that long for a remake instead of a new game still feels awful, to me, lol.)

This is what I've been wondering too. The only way it would make sense would be if they announced the new game soon after the FoMT remake made it to the states. Unless they were having some kind of internal issues I just don't understand them taking this long.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 6:00 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Well, the whole reorangization of personnel, shifting a bunch of people into Hakama, that probably changed the timelines a bit. Hard to imagine it added years to the schedule, but I can't really guess what else might be going on behind the scenes. Stardew blasted to (and stayed at) the top of the chart in Japan in...I think 2018. (Maybe even 2017, but I'm not sure how soon it got translated to Japanese.) Not sure exactly when that started. Perhaps its crazy level of success there (and worldwide) made them rethink some things and want to see what they could do about it.

That's just my guess. That personnel changes and Stardew (and the shift to a new, hybrid console) made them change their plans. Maybe they WERE working on a new game, then all this happened and they decided that maybe FoMT (one of the main games I think Stardew was based on?) would be a good trial project for new ideas.

I'm just stabbing in the dark, though. 3.3 years is a pretty long time to take, just to get a remake out, so I think they must have hit bumps in the road. Switch is nearly 3 years old, now, and they'll be at 4 years from Trio in June. I THINK they must have work well underway on a new game, by now. *flailing stab*

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 6:28 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Is it even possible to consider Daemon X Machina Marvelous' first 'foyer' into what the Switch can do? :lol: I have NO idea how the company is structured, but we can at least say some group of people who work under the same umbrella as the people who work on Bokumono have made something on the Switch a little heftier than the FoMT remake.

I would be really interested to know if development restarted at any point. Even if they don't make decisions based on Western opinions, the devs HAD to know about Stardew, since it was a freaking phenomenon for a while. Especially since Trio and Stardew came out in the same year...

I also kind of wonder when Marvelous would have gotten dev kits from Nintendo. Even if they're not a big company they've been developing for Nintendo for a LONG time, successfully, persistently. We'd have to assume that happened some time in 2016, so I can't imagine that had an enormous impact on the development of whatever they were starting at the time. It probably couldn't have happened for them at a better time.

Whatever happened I don't think we're going to find out at this point. But at least we can start speculating on things a little more easily whenever we do finally get a reveal. :)

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 06, 2020 7:08 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I don't think Daemon X Machina would help that much, because that was an all-new game, with no predecessors, designed for the Switch from the ground up, with very different graphics and gameplay. Plus I think it's about the 5th game they released on Switch. I mean, I think two Senran Kagura games were on Switch, too...one of them came out in November 2017. And two Fate/Extella games, as well, one of which was out on Switch by July 2017. I know Marvelous has a fair few branches, (Honey Parade formed in 2017, afaik, and handles Senran Kagura, for example, and Hakama split off sometime in 2018, though I don't think they handle Bokumono since SoS: FoMT isn't listed on their site with their other games) and I don't know if any personnel is on more than one team. They've obviously got enough experience with how the Switch works, but Bokumono has a certain style that might not look very good blown up to television-size, and is used to having two screens to work with (I can't think they'd take super long to figure that out, though!)

I think Stardew's massive success, and it being at least somewhat inspired by FoMT and yet leaving it in the dust, might have been a bit of a thinker, for them. The whole best friend thing ... I kind of doubt they'd have brought that back without Stardew. Maybe they wanted to test it out on an older game, first, since the best friend thing is something they did try on an older game. Maybe it seemed less controversial to them to put it back in that way, then reintroduce it into new games as well if it met with success? I don't know.

Very much guessing, but there's no way they didn't notice that Stardew was selling more than any of the Bokumono games ever had. It was right there, at the top of the chart for many weeks, easily seen by anyone who checked the most popular games list in the eshop. I don't know how many sales it had in Japan specifically, but in under two years, it had already gotten 3.5 million sales worldwide (wherever it had already been released to at that point...I don't know when it was released in Japan.) I don't think it's a coincidence that the game they decided to remake appears to be the one most similar to Stardew Valley.

CallieCat
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2020 12:40 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

You know I wonder how much of Stardew’s success has to do with it being based off classic HM. Because the majority of the people I know who played it either know nothing about HM or even touched one of the games. They are all fans of other sim games like Animal Crossing and The Sims as well as any game with dating sim elements like modern Fire Emblem. Also SDV is far more accessible too being fairly cheap and multi platform. Sim games are more popular than ever.

Maybe I am just tired of people cramming SDV down my throat and bragging that it is a better game than any of the SoS games because it outsold them.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2020 4:14 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I'm a bit confused. I don't think anyone here said that Stardew's success was because it was based on classic Harvest Moon. I know I didn't, at least, because I don't even think that's true. Yes, I said that Stardew is at least partly based on FoMT, but not that that was why it was successful. I was saying that that was what may have made this a thinker for Marvelous, that a game based on one of their games outsold the game that inspired it by so much and proved that their potential market might now be a lot bigger than they thought. I think that's one of the reasons why Marv is making this game and adding the best friends option.

I've never actually said why I think Stardew was such a success. (Because yeah, I think the single largest thing it can thank is being very inexpensive...cheap enough for people to buy it on a whim. And then when people started praising it, it became a craze, and that fueled it further as people bought it just to see what the fuss was about.) And it really doesn't seem like anyone here is trying to sell Stardew to you, CallieCat, let alone shove it down your throat. I personally don't even like Stardew that much, which I have always said, if asked (and occasionally even when I'm not asked, though I prefer not to harp on it since I have no axe to grind on Stardew). Personally I did play it and think it's okay, and certainly an amazing success story for a single man, but I liked all the recent Bokumono a lot more.

This is speculation on why they suddenly decided to remake FoMT, inspired by the topic of what we can expect in the future, between new games and potentially more remakes. And I do think that Stardew is at least partially responsible for this remake happening. It's very hard to ignore a game that has sold 3.5 million copies in its first two years. (I have no idea how many more it has sold in the two years since then.)