Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

   * Search  * Register
It is currently Sep 19, 2020 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which HM/SoS game deserves a remake next?
Harvest Moon 64 (N64) 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
AWL/AnWL/DS/DS Cute (GC/DS) 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
Magical Melody (GC/Wii) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hero of Leaf Valley (PSP) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tree of Tranquility (Wii) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Animal Parade (Wii) 46%  46%  [ 16 ]
Island of Happiness (DS) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Grand Bazaar (DS) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Tale of Two Towns (DS/3DS) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Please State.) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 35
Author Message
TrashBanjo
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 12:40 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Posts: 68

Offline
Which HM/SoS game do you think deserves a remake next? It's bound to happen, I bet. ;)

I think remaking any of the SoS games would be too soon, but I'll leave the option open.
And since Tale of Two Towns 3D was just released in Japan not even 3 years ago... I think it's unlikely that will happen.

I'm thinking HMDS/Cute would make a wonderful remake after SoS:FoMT. The "mini-games" for brushing, milking, etc. could be implemented still seeing as how there's no motion controls in the Nintendo Switch, so it'd be as simple as point the controller towards the screen, a cursor appearing, and you being able to play the "mini-games" like that.

Although, the use of the Sprite Station might have to change since there won't be a second screen to view.


Last edited by TrashBanjo on Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
 
Reply with quote  
dpb
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 5:18 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

User avatar
Posts: 14

Offline
AWL or DS definitely makes the most sense. Include some connectivity with the FoMT remake and it's an automatic winner. I voted for AWL, but admittedly, DS might be a liiittle better of a choice. Like Friends of Mineral Town it could provide even more new designs due to the original Japanese version of DS's premise being that all of the characters were meant to be the AWL and FoMT cast's descendants with new names, new events, new personality quirks, and so on. So finally giving them all their own unique designs (instead of looking identical to their ancestors) would be amazing.

If I was completely honest though, I'd be good with 64. Just 'cause it's my favorite. Plus, it sure seems lots of folks remember those iterations of the cast better since they keep mistakenly attributing 64 traits to the FoMT cast.
 
Reply with quote  
Code_Name_Geek
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 7:53 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

User avatar
Posts: 279

Offline
I agree that a DS/DS Cute remake would make a lot of sense—with the original games suffering from so many glitches they deserve a second chance! And the connectivity between FoMT and DS could be replicated using Switch save data (like Pokémon Let’s Go and SwSh). Plus it had a similar visual style to FoMT so it would be nice to see it in the new SoS:FoMT style. The collection mechanics in this game were a lot of fun too! I wouldn’t complain if they did AWL instead though, I never made it through the whole game and it’d be a lot easier if I could play in portable form.

ToT/AP seems like the next most logical choice after AWL/DS, but I could see a remake of any pre-3DS game happening. StH/HoLV would make sense as well, plus it would be great to see those redone with a female protagonist. And being a child of HM64 myself I wouldn’t complain if they gave that one some love, although I wish they would port the original game to a portable system tbh.
 
Reply with quote  
Mikodesu
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 8:05 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

User avatar
Posts: 164

Offline
If I'm honest HM64 is what I want to see - full 3D, no isometric camera. The game is so old that even in a simple style new models, individual blades of grass, I think I'd tear up. :lol:

I dunno if any of the games deserve a remake. AWL would be nice - if it had some work done to make it less obtuse (and a fair bit faster, maybe a NG+ system)...I think it would sell well.

The SMARTEST imo would be AP. I don't think that game needs anything more than the HD treatment - and if they could improve lighting (lighting is everything these days) that would be cool. I feel like Switch owners are in particular really hungry for something like AP. The game is old enough that I think a lot of younger folks who didn't grow up with the Wii (who've only played the handheld games or maybe have only played Stardew - gasp) would be a whole new market.

Either AWL or AP...Marvelous also has to contend with modern games press who don't understand what the series is doing and impact their sales that way, and I think AWL/AP would get past their ignorance.
 
Reply with quote  
Kikki
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 3026

Offline
This topic comes up a lot now that the FoMT remake exists :) I really don't want to see any more remakes until I get a new game. I mean, I could play all these old games now, if I wanted to, but have not done so because I'm not really interested in them. I am going to buy and play SoS: FoMT when it's available in English, but I'm not overly enthused about it, because I was never interested in playing the original.

But putting that aside, the one I most want to play through, spiffed up and NOT needing a wiimote, is Animal Parade. Overall, I mostly just don't want to see another remake that reuses the same cast, even if they're given different personalities or jobs. It's one of the biggest turn-offs of the Natsume Harvest Moon games...that they continually recycle the same characters. If you get a cast you weren't crazy about to begin with, getting them all back for a second go is not appealing. (But even a cast I DO like, I don't want to keep seeing. A new town with new people is a big part of the fun, for me. Seeing them again, remixed a bit, kind of ruins it for me. I like when the cast is unique to their own town/game. A cameo or two is okay, but other than that, I'm just not into returning cast members.)

But for remakes, yeah, AP...and if not that, then HoLV, as the cast had lots of characters with designs I really like (though I'd need the option to play as a girl to be added) and since Bokumono games no longer have alternate ending options, I like the idea of being able to achieve 16 different ones (some of which are mutually exclusive).
 
Reply with quote  
TrashBanjo
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 8:35 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Posts: 68

Offline
Kikki wrote:
This topic comes up a lot now that the FoMT remake exists :) I really don't want to see any more remakes until I get a new game. I mean, I could play all these old games now, if I wanted to, but have not done so because I'm not really interested in them. I am going to buy and play SoS: FoMT when it's available in English, but I'm not overly enthused about it, because I was never interested in playing the original.

But putting that aside, the one I most want to play through, spiffed up and NOT needing a wiimote, is Animal Parade. Overall, I mostly just don't want to see another remake that reuses the same cast, even if they're given different personalities or jobs. It's one of the biggest turn-offs of the Natsume Harvest Moon games...that they continually recycle the same characters. If you get a cast you weren't crazy about to begin with, getting them all back for a second go is not appealing. (But even a cast I DO like, I don't want to keep seeing. A new town with new people is a big part of the fun, for me. Seeing them again, remixed a bit, kind of ruins it for me. I like when the cast is unique to their own town/game. A cameo or two is okay, but other than that, I'm just not into returning cast members.)

But for remakes, yeah, AP...and if not that, then HoLV, as the cast had lots of characters with designs I really like (though I'd need the option to play as a girl to be added) and since Bokumono games no longer have alternate ending options, I like the idea of being able to achieve 16 different ones (some of which are mutually exclusive).


I forgot about a few games mentioned in this thread and in your post! I agree, we need a new SoS game before a remake, which I bet the FoMT remake was to hold fans over until the new one is released.

I feel horrible about forgetting HM64 as that one is definitely a classic alongside FoMT!

Hero of Leaf Valley was amazing, in my opinion, and I'm not sure I would change anything about it aside from not being able to have a child.
 
Reply with quote  
TrashBanjo
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 8:37 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Posts: 68

Offline
I changed the poll options and added in a few mentioned here. ;) Recast your votes if you wish!
 
Reply with quote  
Melody Muse
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 9:13 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 4010

Offline
I agree with most folks here and think that an AWL/DS remake would be great. Both of the games are very fun but DS had sooo many bugs, and AWL had so many missing features, that I think a remake of either would be great.

My second vote would be for Hero of Leaf Valley, though. I always felt that game deserved more love than it got.
 
Reply with quote  
Kikki
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 10:36 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 3026

Offline
TrashBanjo wrote:
Hero of Leaf Valley was amazing, in my opinion, and I'm not sure I would change anything about it aside from not being able to have a child.


It's the oldest of any of the older HMs interested in playing, due to those interesting-looking ending options, and because I think the characters are interesting, but if I can't play as a female character in a life sim, it's deal-breaker, so HoLV has never been an option I could get into as it is, which is why I'd definitely grab a remake of it (if they added the option to play as a girl, which they almost definitely would). I just can't get into the gameplay if I can't be my own gender. (Though I actually prefer playing as a guy in some RPGs and action-adventures. And MMPORGs. I will never, ever play as female in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Or as a blood elf, lol.)
 
Reply with quote  
Blue Rose
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 5:25 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 4272

Offline
AP or ToT. Preferably both with s/s options and rival romance.
 
Reply with quote  
TrashBanjo
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 6:49 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Posts: 68

Offline
Blue Rose wrote:
AP or ToT. Preferably both with s/s options and rival romance.


It seems to me like rival romances/marriages are pretty dead in Story of Seasons games from now on, which is unfortunate. :( The trade off being the addition of same-sex marriages/best friends ceremonies.
 
Reply with quote  
white66
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 9:54 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

User avatar
Posts: 757

Offline
(I don't know why AWL and DS are being put together, they're completely different games)

I wish I could say I wanted an AWL remake, but Marvelous's design philosophies are so radically different from what they were back when AWL came out I can't imagine it going smoothly. I think FoMT was a good choice for a remake partially because it was so simple and well-designed to begin with. AWL... isn't. And I say that with love I really do. AWL is also a very big part of my childhood and my heart and I honestly don't want modern Marvelous touching it with a ten foot pole.

AP would only need relatively minor changes, imo. Shorten loading times, less laggy, a modest graphic upgrade and I think that would be enough honestly. Maybe make friendships raise faster idk. I don't think it would be worth the time and effort to remake though, especially since it didn't sell very well.

I'd have to say HoLV, though I never played it. Make a female MC and put children in and I'll buy it. Not including those two factors was a mistake on their part imo (And hopefully put it on a more popular system, I understand why they chose the PSP but I also feel like that choice negatively affected sales).

Also, I know it's not on the list but I would really like a remake of RFF. It's such a gorgeous game but you can definitely tell it's over ten years old. Crafting items is clunky and tedious, there's not enough storage, and moving around in general is kind of awkward. Also being able to play as a girl would be really nice (I don't know where the designers get off making all these cute boys and not letting me marry them, lol). I think this is another example of the base of the game being really solid and the mechanics and gameplay needing a little sprucing up. AWL on the other hand is kind of weird down to its core and I wouldn't be surprised if the developers now would completely scrap some of its stranger aspects, which would terrible to see. Like the cow breeding mechanic is really tedious and unintuitive but I would hate to see it go.
 
Reply with quote  
Blue Rose
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2020 11:59 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

User avatar
Posts: 4272

Offline
TrashBanjo wrote:
Blue Rose wrote:
AP or ToT. Preferably both with s/s options and rival romance.


It seems to me like rival romances/marriages are pretty dead in Story of Seasons games from now on, which is unfortunate. :( The trade off being the addition of same-sex marriages/best friends ceremonies.


For new titles, yeah its dead in the water. But omitting rival romance denies the rival kids from ToT/AP, so if they took that away we would be getting a remake without a chunk of characters. Which, imo would not be a smart decision.

And gonna be honest, I don't like when people say we can't have both. Unless one of the developers say otherwise, they could've opted out of rival romance for any other of the new aspects of the game, not just s/s or BF system. Obviously something has to go in exchange for getting new things, but its not impossible to have both.
 
Reply with quote  
TrashBanjo
Post Posted: Feb 15, 2020 2:41 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Posts: 68

Offline
white66 wrote:
(I don't know why AWL and DS are being put together, they're completely different games)


AWL/AnWL has very little content compared to other games. The character dialogues are short, the events are sparse, there's very few festivals, the only thing AWL had going for it was the hybrid crops and things like the Milking Room and so on and so forth. They're paired together with the DS games because they feature the same cast and setting and that's about it. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're "completely different" as the DS games are basically major upgrades of AWL/AnWL. The likelihood of them doing a remake of AWL/AnWL alone is very low for those reasons. If they were going to do a remake based off of Forget-Me-Not Valley, they'd go with the DS games then.

Blue Rose wrote:
TrashBanjo wrote:
Blue Rose wrote:
AP or ToT. Preferably both with s/s options and rival romance.


It seems to me like rival romances/marriages are pretty dead in Story of Seasons games from now on, which is unfortunate. :( The trade off being the addition of same-sex marriages/best friends ceremonies.


For new titles, yeah its dead in the water. But omitting rival romance denies the rival kids from ToT/AP, so if they took that away we would be getting a remake without a chunk of characters. Which, imo would not be a smart decision.

And gonna be honest, I don't like when people say we can't have both. Unless one of the developers say otherwise, they could've opted out of rival romance for any other of the new aspects of the game, not just s/s or BF system. Obviously something has to go in exchange for getting new things, but its not impossible to have both.


They omitted them in the FoMT remake because of their Japanese audiences preferences, which is they didn't like rival marriages because they "felt bad" for the candidates that couldn't get married as well as not liking the "competition" or feeling rushed, which is still silly considering the rivals couldn't marry until Year 4 in FoMT/MFoMT... Who takes 4 years to marry in these games? LOL.

However, I do agree that taking them out of an AP/ToT remake would be silly and would cause a good portion of events to be omitted as well, lessening the bulk of the game. Which, yes, would not be a smart decision.
 
Reply with quote  
white66
Post Posted: Feb 15, 2020 8:55 am 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

User avatar
Posts: 757

Offline
TrashBanjo wrote:
white66 wrote:
(I don't know why AWL and DS are being put together, they're completely different games)


AWL/AnWL has very little content compared to other games. The character dialogues are short, the events are sparse, there's very few festivals, the only thing AWL had going for it was the hybrid crops and things like the Milking Room and so on and so forth. They're paired together with the DS games because they feature the same cast and setting and that's about it. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're "completely different" as the DS games are basically major upgrades of AWL/AnWL. The likelihood of them doing a remake of AWL/AnWL alone is very low for those reasons. If they were going to do a remake based off of Forget-Me-Not Valley, they'd go with the DS games then.


I...what? The milking room is one of the highlights of AWL? Really? We must have had very different experiences with AWL because as far as I know no one even really bothers with the milking room because it actually makes the process take longer.

This may be a little controversial but I don't consider DS to be a remake of AWL at all. They have the same setting and characters but those are superficial qualities as far as I'm concerned. The mechanics and story lines of the two have nothing in common. That's like saying MM is a remake because it features characters from previous game.
 
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


All times are UTC - 8 hours


 

Search this topic:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group