Do you have a favorite Activity?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I love cooking. One of my most favorite things to do is gathering items and storing them in the fridge/inventory and then going through the recipes to see if there's one I haven't made yet- especially sweet recipes :heart: I used to get impatient at the concept of collecting recipes before you could actually make it, but then I started having fun collecting those too. Seeing the recipe list expanding is so exciting, especially when I can make several new recipes at once~

Back when I was younger I used to neglect residents who didn't really mean anything to me or contribute to my goals, but even then I found myself still at least greeting them sometimes. But a few months ago when I started replaying ANB I realized that for tool upgrades I would need to befriend Iroha, and I was annoyed by this. But then, as I got to know her and eventually finished getting everything I could, I started missing her because I wasn't really speaking to her or anything. So I decided that I should try focusing more on residents rather than my goals and marriage. I speak with as many people as I can each day, and I give them items if I happen to have some I can spare, and I always make sure to give a present on birthdays regardless of who they are to me. I've found my harvest moon experience has been a lot more fun this way and I've been making sure to do that with every game since. Not out of any sort of guilt or obligation, I just realized I enjoy making people happy.

What about you guys? It could be anything, like fishing, mining and upgrading your tools, gardening, tending to the animals, socialization, participating in animal-themed festivals, etc. Do you like it because it's fun and exciting/relaxing? Or maybe it was a task you did out of necessity and then you began to like it?

Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

For me, it depends on the game. Like for example I liked the Customization in SoS better rather than ANB’s because it’s less a chore.

But if we’re talking every game then definitely socializing.
Kaiyumi
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I also really like the socializing aspect! How the characters are portrayed can make or break...well, anything for me, so I really like to see how their dialogue and mannerisms change as you befriend them.

I find that I enjoy taking care of my animals too. I think that they're cute and I grow an immediate attachment to anything under my care, so I always try to be very thorough with them. Farming is...less fun for me, but I did like it more than I thought I would in 3oT. I may be a bit of an outsider in this regard, but I liked having to run out and fertilize the hell out of my crops to max them all out.
VanillaCookies
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I'm weird in that I really enjoy mining in these games. Most of my time in AP and MM were spent down in the mines, trying to reach the bottom for the best haul. :lol: There's just something very cathartic for me about the repetitive nature of it and it's part of the reason why I'm none too thrilled about the 'mine these ore spots' changes in more recent games.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Ooh great idea for a topic! I think my favourite activity in any farming game is taking care of animals, both livestock and pets. I get super attached to them and I love taking good care of them and seeing their product level increase. I also really like the repetitive nature of talking care of them - doing the same actions every day is mindless and calming for me.

Another thing I generally enjoy doing is foraging wild items. I especially liked the random forage spots in ToTT, but even picking stuff up around the map is pretty fun for me. Bug hunting was similarly fun in the few games that had it (not counting the ones where you couldn’t actually sell the bugs you caught, because that felt pretty useless).

And finally a more specific one, but I really liked the request board system in ToTT. Collecting items and filling requests for all the townspeople always made me feel accomplished lol. I do like socializing with townspeople in other games as well, but I felt the requests gave even more incentive to socialization.

Oddly enough, I find that the actual farming is often my least favourite activity in the game. I don’t necessarily dislike it, but it is the activity that feels most like a chore after a while.
Cmh5
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Code_Name_Geek wrote:Ooh great idea for a topic!
Thank you, I felt a little intimidated posting for the first time... but I really wanted to see what others had to say :3

I feel the same way about the farming aspect though (and mining honestly, I think I'm one of the very few who prefers the newer games mines). I like having activity options but I have problems with repetition. I go into a game really excited to get started, then after the first year or so I get tired of it and start getting a little lazy (like in ANB with giving animals treats and cutting back on cleaning them; only because I have a lot of them though) and I look forward to slacking off on rainy days. I usually don't feel enough incentive to mine or fish unless necessary either.

freckles
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Hmmm... the socializing aspect has always been big for me, so I require vivid characters in order to enjoy a game. Wooing the candidates would give me such a high as a kid lmfaoooo.

I also like mining and cooking. Fishing gets tiring because it requires a degree of patience :\