MM town a mess

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Hey there! I plan to return to my MM file after a looooong hiatus because I never finished. I just remember a ton of people moved out because I was little and didn’t know what I was doing. What should I do to get the file up and running again and start bringing the people back?
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I think some people left due to the seasons, but I don't remember any specifics anymore. I know Carl kept leaving my town for whatever reason.

This guide (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gamecube/931608-harvest-moon-magical-melody/faqs/45306) talks about people leaving. Apparently, Carl is so prone to leaving that simply searching his name got me some answers. :lol:
Spoiler:
Also, watch your shipping percentage with Jamie. It is good to
have at least a 20 daily percent by fall of the first year. Any less
than this means that you must do more in order to get new characters
and keep the old ones. If you have a ranch, ship milk products to keep
Carl, Katie and Eve in business. Also, ship plenty of ore to keep Tim
and Louis in. Sell yarn and fruits to keep Lyla, Dan and Ronald. As
well, ship herbs to get and keep Gina and Dia. Another way to keep
this wide assortment of characters is to make friends with everyone.
Talk to everyone along the way, even if you don’t like them as much.
This is useful as everyone will give you a gift eventually if you
increase their heart level. Getting at least one heart with a person
will help though not guarantee everyone’s stay. You must still busily
ship a wide assortment of items to keep your friends or your future
spouse. Even if you have ten hearts with someone, they will still come
to your door and say that they will leave if you ignore them for some
time, so say hi to everyone, especially Louis as he is harder to find.

(...)

When I said to talk to everyone that you see, I wasn’t just
flapping my lip to make unnecessary friends. All of the eligible
bachelors and girls are required for at least one note. Therefore,
should Carl and/or Katie leave, you should ship more ingredients for
sweets like eggs and milk to get them back as it is impossible to beat
the game without gaining at least two hearts with each eligible spouse
whether boy or girl. Giving everyone a gift is vital to achieving this
goal. If you get five hearts with someone the opposite gender, then
you will receive a more expensive gift:). If you get five hearts with
the same gender, you will, instead, receive a note in the mail.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. I know for sure Carl left lol it seems like a ton of effort just to keep the villagers there but maybe it won’t feel like so much once I get rolling again
relaxtealeaves
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I think some villagers leave according to season (Nami=Summer, Basil=leaves in Winter, Gourmet=Fall) but what is more likely is that you ignored the villagers too long and they bounced. I believe that shipping a lot of certain items gets them to come back. I'd just check who has left and then find out what their requirements are to bring them back. This guide could be helpful: https://www.ign.com/faqs/2006/harvest-m ... aq-701978/.
I find that just making a habit of talking to people when I see them and giving them gifts every once in a while helps with preventing them from leaving. The guide I linked mentions needing to ship a certain amount of items, but maybe I'm shipping plenty of them without paying that much attention, since I don't think I've had that issue. On my last couple of playthroughs, I didn't have issues with anyone leaving, but I also think I spent a lot of time trying to socialize with villagers. I think you'll be fine once you get back into the file; just look up info on the people who left and try to get them back. Happy farming! :twisted:
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

RodCopper Fishin wrote:Thank you so much! This helps a lot. I know for sure Carl left lol it seems like a ton of effort just to keep the villagers there but maybe it won’t feel like so much once I get rolling again
You're welcome. :)

If you're playing the female protagonist (who isn't available in all versions, for some reason), you can marry him. Then he'll stay in town whether he likes it or not :twisted: . Same thing applies to any other villagers that won't stay put, if I'm remembering correctly.