First time playing AWL: Special Edition

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Hello all! Does anyone have any tips for playing Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life: Special Edition for the first time?

I know that there are quite a few missable items if I don't befriend the right people? If anyone has any money making or general tips to maximize enjoyment in a play through I would greatly appreciate it!
FaerieFarm
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Get the fishing rod from Van as soon as you can and fish by the waterfall. You'll get good money selling yamame, and the big/huge variants of Nyamame and Hucheps. The other fish you can save if you want until you unlock the ability to make Sashimi in your kitchen which will sell for 150g each to Van.

You can use the rainy season in early Summer to grow some turnips without killing your stamina watering. You can turn 1 Turnip into Light Pickles (salad category). Do this enough to unlock the Hors d' oevres category (I think it's named something different in AWL:SE) and you can turn 1 fish into Sashimi.

Don't grow crops in Chapter 1 for the sake of money. The profit is abysmal and your character will be constantly dizzy and hungry from the effort. Only grow crops for cooking or preparing S ranked seeds for hybridization in Chapter 2.

The pregnancy time for cows in AnWL and AWL:SE has been halved so it'll take 3 days for the Miracle Potion to take effect + 15 days for your cow to give birth. Give your starter cow a Miracle Potion mid-summer to ensure she gives birth and is ready to give you milk at full capacity in Chapter 2. You can still milk your cow twice a day while she's pregnant until she goes into isolation when she's really close to giving birth.

If you want a new cow to milk, it'll be awhile before you can impregnate her and start her lactating because new cows start off as young heifers. Star cows are the breed that gives the biggest profit if you want to invest in one of those. The other breeds will give you healthy income as well and some people (your child in particular) have a preference for different types of milk.

Buy a few fertilizer and spread in on your pasture in a place your cow can easily reach. This way she'll have something to eat and you won't have to worry about running out of fodder in your silo. Keep in mind cow collision boxes are very finicky in this game and if she gets stuck, she won't be able to reach her food (even if it's literally on her butt). Sometimes cows won't eat if they aren't in the same loading zone as you so keep that in mind if you intend to keep her locked up in the barn. Feeding time is twice a day at 5:30 am/pm

As for friendship items...most of the special tools you won't be able to get until you unlock the big field (Chapter 2 and onward). Items aren't really missable, you can get them late or early in the game. It is possible to miss your chance to get a free seed maker from Daryl if you happen to talk to Takakura in Summer (or if you have 6000g in your pocket) and he mentions that he saw a seed maker in the city you can buy. If you see this bit of dialogue, the Seed Maker will be available for purchase in your ledger for 6000g and you won't be able to get one from Daryl. Avoid Takakura like the plague until you befriend Daryl and activate the Seed Maker cutscene at his lab. You can befriend Daryl really quickly by giving multiple fossils and fish a day.

Befriend Galen in Chapter 1 as he'll be harder to befriend after that. He likes easily forageable items like mugwort.
elvis11300
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I've played this game for years and didn't know some of this stuff. Thank you for sharing.
Jinkies
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Hopefully someone is still active and can answer my question,
I bought the great field but it was never made, it's been half a year now and its still not done. I can't order anything else I just get the message "Wait till the great field is done". How do I get him to finish it?
Anon
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Befriend Romana (old lady in the mansion) and she will give you a black cat in the Fall. If I recall correctly, she likes flowers.