Animal Parade: can't hand feed my calf anymore

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Hello! I love the game.

Cain gave me a free calf, and all was fine at first. I hand fed it, petted it, and brushed it. But one day she stopped eating hay when I place it in front of her. She doesn't pop out a heart, she just stands in front of it without eating. Otherwise she can be petted and brushed.

The next day the hay she didn't eat is always gone, so I suppose she does eat it when I'm not looking, she just refuses to be hand fed. So I lose a heart each day :(

I bought a lamb, and there's no such problem with the lamb. When I place hay in front of her, she eats it immediately and pops out a heart.

What can I do? Can the calf be fixed to accept hand-feeding? If not, am I better off selling it as soon as possible and buying a new one? Loss of one heart out of three per day must be significant, she'll take a lot of time to get to full relationship...

P.S. Btw the calf is always mad each morning. For no reason. Unless animals get mad if you forego hand-feeding them, which I find dubious. So maybe it's also a part of the calf glitch. She stops being mad once I pet or brush her, but still won't eat from me.
FaerieFarm
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

The likely scenario is that you probably left fodder in front of your calf while she wasn't hungry so she ate it at the start of the next day. And you keep checking to see if your calf is able to be handfed by putting more fodder in front of her...which gets saved for the next days feeding as well, starting a cycle of her always having leftover food for tomorrow. If she doesn't have the fork/knife icon above her head then that means she's not hungry and you don't need to feed her. Wait until she's hungry to handfeed her.

You don't need to sell the calf. The free calf from Cain is super useful in the beginning. In the long run, all animals will get plenty of affection from petting/brushing/being outside...and once you get a full barn of animals it will feel tedious to even handfeed your animals every day. A lot of times I'll just fill my rucksack with fodder and fill every single feeding trough just so I don't have to check it for a few days.

As for the little squiggly icons...those are randomly generated each day. If you go to bed and ignore your animals like that, there is a chance they'll be sick the next day. Having a squiggly icon above it's head though doesn't mean it's receiving negative affection points.