What’s your preferred aesthetic for the series?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Playing Pioneers of Olive Town, it has a more modern look than most games. I prefer the traditional “retro” look of games like SOS and AWL myself. They’re set in modern day but most of the characters still dress like it’s 1900-1980.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

If we're talking about the setting (up to building style and character costuming) there's been a pretty wide variety of looks imo. But I do agree that the older games have managed a more similar aesthetic that Olive Town is moving away from. I wouldn't call it retro though, honestly I think I'd call it cottage core.

I don't NEED it, but I do like the "pastoral simplicity" a lot of the games in the series have leaned into. There's a reason cottage core is such a thing on social media. :lol: I think the devs of farming sims just tapped into it sooner. So long as a cottage core aesthetic doesn't dry up entirely I enjoy seeing a variety of settings. It helps keep the genre fresh. :)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I definitely have a soft spot for the DS entries that used the chibi lineless (cell shaded?) sprites/3D models. They definitely give off a 'style of their time' vibe, as a lot of DS games do, so it's very nostalgic for me. The one aesthetic this style adapted perfectly in my opinion, was the Dutch country 'core' - very cozy and brightly colored. Would love for them to adapt a similar color scheme at least in another title, but I noticed that after GB, everything's been more warmer palettes/tones. Hero of Leaf Valley and Doraemon were pretty good at having the 'cozy and brightly colorful' aesthetic too, but I think Grand Bazaar really got it down the best.
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:I definitely have a soft spot for the DS entries that used the chibi lineless (cell shaded?) sprites/3D models. They definitely give off a 'style of their time' vibe, as a lot of DS games do, so it's very nostalgic for me. The one aesthetic this style adapted perfectly in my opinion, was the Dutch country 'core' - very cozy and brightly colored. Would love for them to adapt a similar color scheme at least in another title, but I noticed that after GB, everything's been more warmer palettes/tones. Hero of Leaf Valley and Doraemon were pretty good at having the 'cozy and brightly colorful' aesthetic too, but I think Grand Bazaar really got it down the best.
The ds character were so small and squishy looking. :heart:
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:If we're talking about the setting (up to building style and character costuming) there's been a pretty wide variety of looks imo. But I do agree that the older games have managed a more similar aesthetic that Olive Town is moving away from. I wouldn't call it retro though, honestly I think I'd call it cottage core.

I don't NEED it, but I do like the "pastoral simplicity" a lot of the games in the series have leaned into. There's a reason cottage core is such a thing on social media. :lol: I think the devs of farming sims just tapped into it sooner. So long as a cottage core aesthetic doesn't dry up entirely I enjoy seeing a variety of settings. It helps keep the genre fresh. :)
I call it “vintage”, with a game like AWL leaning more towards “retro” due to characters like Nami, Gustafa, and Rock. Fashion in the series rarely seems any modern than the 80s or 90s