* Search  * Register
It is currently Feb 26, 2020 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Harvest Moon kawaii
  Post subject: Joy Con Drifting help
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2020 2:42 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Hopefully it's okay for me to ask this here. I've had my Nintendo Switch for 3 years since December 2017. And, my left joy con drifts so bad it's affecting both the games I play and my experience on the Nintendo e-shop. I've also had the same joy cons (grey) for 3 years as well. I live in the USA and I was wondering my options for fixing my joy-cons. I've re-calibrated it (my left joy con) many times now, and it seems like it's getting worse.

Where I live, brand-new joy cons would cost me $80 ($20 more than a brand-new Switch game). Also, is Nintendo still allowing us to send in our joy cons to fix them for free/no charge? Is that a good idea?

Mikodesu
  Post subject: Re: Joy Con Drifting help
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2020 4:08 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I'm fairly sure joy-con repair is still free in North America...it's still a pretty significant problem. Either way this is probably a good thread to have, for reference.

My joy-con repair was free (Nintendo even covered shipping), though I got that done ~6 months ago, so there's a chance something has changed. The one thing to be aware of is that it could be a fairly lengthy process. (I would guess mine was on the longer end of the spectrum, but it took a full 30 days to get my joy-cons back after I sent them.) If you don't have a second controller (like a Pro Controller) that's something to consider.

If you (or anyone else) would like to look into it, the help ticket page is here: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789

The fastest option is to fix it yourself (or if you have someone who you could ask). Iirc the joysticks are ~12USD on Amazon, and there's plenty of video tutorials on the process on Youtube. If Nintendo wasn't doing the repair for free I think I might have done that myself.

Aside from that I would again suggest Youtube...I think there are a couple of methods of cleaning joy-cons that CAN help, but they're only a temporary measure, unfortunately. :/

Hope that helps a bit!

Harvest Moon kawaii
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2020 4:57 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Thanks for the help.

But my mom's going to buy me new ones.

Edit: Bought new ones and plan to send in old ones for repair.

Nurse Fin
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2020 2:03 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Whenever one of my joy-cons starts to drift I can fix it with some electrical contact cleaner, which can be bought at a hardware store. Can’t prevent drift from happening again but typically fixes the issue for a few months.

Melody Muse
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2020 3:43 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I hope this is okay to ask here, but I'm a newish Switch owner (only had it a year) and I haven't found anyone who could explain it to me: what is joycon drift? I want to look out for it in case it crops up for me as well.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2020 3:57 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I don't see why not! :) Basically, if you ever see your character start moving or camera start moving when you're not touching the controller, that's drift. It's typically in the left joy-con, since that one gets used more often, but it can easily happen in both. It can be stopped pretty easily if you have a hand on the controller, but it can be pretty obnoxious if you're trying to do something precise. :/

From what I've watched on Youtube from the more hardware educated it's a manufacturing flaw so unfortunately it seems to be a "when" rather than an if. There's a material underneath the joystick that (afaik) wears out over time.

That's good to know about the contact cleaner, though. Even if it only works for a little while that could be a big thing for Switch Lite owners, especially.

Kross lover/fan
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2020 4:45 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I’ve noticed that for games that require a lot of movement/camera adjustments, it wears out faster.
Like I’ve been playing Legend of Zelda: BoTW and it started off okay on the drift but the more I play the more my character starts walking on his own or the camera will randomly start spinning on its own.

This is my second switch (had to turn in my whole system the first time when I started getting the dreaded drift. This was before the Nintendo offer and I had protect through Game Stop). I was playing botw then too when the drift started getting bad.

I don’t want to ship in my controller so I’m sucking it up and dealing with the drift for now.
Luckily just a tap of the joy stick is enough to make it stop for a while.

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2020 5:03 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I haven’t seen any drifting on my lite but good thing to know.

Also there’s a contact Nintendo link in my zig if anyone needs it.

Melody Muse
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2020 10:22 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Oh thank you very much for explaining it to me! That's a shame that it's more a case of when and not if. I suppose we can hope eventually for new switch joycons, with different hardware materials, that fix the issue permanently, but we shall just have to wait and see I suppose. I'm not surprised that games like BotW could shorten how long the joycons last without drift.

Thanks for the link too, Shan! Will be useful if I need it. :D

Code_Name_Geek
Post Posted: Jan 24, 2020 6:59 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Out of curiosity, have any Switch Lite owners experienced drift yet? I would have expected we’d have heard about drift on the Lite by now given that’s it’s been out for several months, but I have yet to hear of any (other than the drift at launch that was probably a separate launch defect rather than the same issue). Some have theorized that a few minute changes to the Lite’s analog sticks might help prevent drift so I wonder if that’s true after all.

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Jan 24, 2020 10:48 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

^
I haven’t heard anything myself, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that the Lite probably has it too. I said I haven’t gotten the drifting problem but I’m just one person.

You’re welcome Mel. Nintendo really is helpful.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 24, 2020 11:50 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I don't know about the Lite specifically, but I, my two sisters, and my cousin each have a Switch of our own, and none of us has ever encountered the drift problem. I have 3 pairs of joycons, myself. ALL of those pairs have had an issue with the left joycon running out of power a lot faster than the right joycon, but perhaps that's due to being the one you usually use to control a character's movement...maybe that takes more energy, even if the right one is the one that gets all the button-clicking.

Pachi
Post Posted: Jan 25, 2020 4:20 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

I have the Lite and personally haven't experienced drifting yet (hopefully never!). Though I haven't really played games requiring a lot of movement/camera adjustment..

LeBurns
Post Posted: Feb 02, 2020 2:11 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I wanted to get a Switch Lite, but read they have the same problem, but of course you can't just send in the pads on those as it's all connected. Now I'm just waiting for the next gen of Switch Lite, hoping this obvious issue is something that's fixed.