Backlog 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Whee...Abyss in Genshin tonight. We've circled back around to me wanting to play around in there again, and it went relatively well? Just did floors 9 and 10, 11 out of 12 stars. For whatever reason on my computer the animations in the Abyss are WAY faster than anywhere else in the game, which threw me off, but I did alright I guess? The best thing about it imo is being able to go back every month or two and see how the fruits of your labor raising characters went.

I've been thinking a LOT about Monster Hunter Stories 2 since I (basically) rage quit...and I'm pretty convinced the game was never properly finished. OVERALL I'd say it's still a worthwhile experience - I wouldn't have put 50 hours in if I didn't think that, but. I'd like to get this whole thing out BEFORE I beat the game so I don't let it color my opinion of the ending itself.
Spoiler:
I have a few pieces of evidence to support my thoughts here...

- The most clear cut is cut content. People in chat in a stream I was watching mentioned that there were screenshots released/leaked (not sure which) of Hermitaur being a Monstie (wearing a saddle), which guarantees that there were others that didn't get to be finished.

- The story is incredibly rushed (at the end). You spend the first 30 hours of the game doing little more than reminiscing and doing chores. Talk about Grandpa, fight some monsters, fix a windmill. Everything just EXPLODES in the last 10 hours. Not to mention adding an ENTIRE SET OF SIDEQUESTS that don't unlock until the final boss is available to fight.

- Along with the story the combat... I'd say the majority of the game the difficulty curve is veeery linear. Nice, steady increase. Bosses go from having two types of attacks to three, being able to attack once per turn to twice, etc. And then there's the final boss. They did TRY to ease you into the final boss' BS, but it didn't go over all that well imo.

The more I think about it the sadder it makes me, honestly. I'm sure COVID was the main culprit here, and it's probably a miracle that the team that worked on this game got as good of a project out there as they did, but I would bet management was not all that supportive. Maybe they will be NOW, since the game sold so well (until Arise came out Stories 2 had the highest concurrent player count for a JRPG on Steam) but I can't imagine them having been for this.

The polish is on the front end of the game. Which on one hand, yeah, okay. Front end polish makes sales. I've been told there's a LOT of post game content, which probably still half of PC players won't experience, because they didn't even finish it. :/

And I'm still sad. Because you can really, really tell how much love was put into this thing. Most of what's there is incredible. I can see how excited true Monster Hunter fans must be for this in the streamer I'm watching play. It's hard to get him through the story because he's so easily distracted by all the monsters. You can hear the genuine excitement in his voice. And if he's any indication, it was probably like that for a lot of playthroughs.

So all I can really hope for is that Stories 3 gets the time and forgiveness it needs from management to be the game it deserves to be.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Just finished the Voice of Cards demo and it was...interesting. The demo itself was very short, took less than an hour to play through the story it offered. The combat system was simple enough; I like having the ability to use stones to charge up more powerful abilities and there was always something for each of the three demo characters to do, though they aren't the ones we'll be using in the main game.

Side game was fun; it was a relatively simple card game and apparently you can use multiplayer to play it with real people after completing the demo. The story was simple and told relatively straight, though there was a moment of humor with a fisherman being ogled by the female player character which was kinda funny.

The idea of using cards is harmless enough. But that combined with the narrator describing everything and voicing all the characters makes me consider the game to be a lot like a video game version of a DnD session. The fact that the dice and stones are involved is probably influencing my decision a bit, but it isn't really a bad thing.

All in all, I liked the demo and I'm thinking of purchasing the game once it comes out. But it's not something I'll be preordering. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas wishlist, especially if it gets a physical release.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Really getting into my game (I played four hours yesterday and the day before, and I want to keep playing.) My weight isn't going down anymore and I even gained a little, so it's at a more steady weight. I'm really feeling better now. I still have marks from the iv and the first attempt to get a vein, that they had to give up on. They were both bruised down the vein over an inch at the longest, for a whole week before it really started to go away. The bruisings all gone now, and there's not any scabs or anything, but the actual marks/bumps are going to take awhile to go away, especially the one they actually got which is raised pretty good. A couple of little headaches here and there and maybe a slightly more sensitive back/spine than before, but other than that I'm doing pretty good now.

Going to be playing my game some more today. I think I only played an hour today because I got dragged out of my room to do other things. Definitely not enough play time today. I probably won't make as much progress as the other days, but that's okay.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I finished the Voice of Cards demo as well. I liked it a lot. More than I thought I would (I already set up a preorder). Yoko Taro's games just have such good music!
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

@Daikon boy: Glad to hear you're making strides! :) When your body struggles that much you've gotta celebrate every bit of progress you can.

--
If you play Genshin, and haven't started the new event yet, let me warn you... get some snacks. Or find something else to do while you play. I got an art post done while the cutscenes played. :D Let's just say...it rivals the start of the Inazuma main quest.

Because I was productive while the conversations rolled I let myself go through the first treasure hunt and...I have obtained the fish stick. And it is incredible.

To let you see it for yourself first...that's all I'll say.

Next day edit: Well...the Genshin community had one of the most unified tantrums I've ever seen?? I'll be REALLY curious to hear what the Chinese community did to protest the anniversary because the NA/Europe folks have gone OFF. If you haven't heard, the App Store/Play Store/PS Stores were all review bombed, Play Store getting the lowest iirc at like...1.8? Pretty positive it was below 2.

On one hand, you « Snuggly Bunny » goblin children, do you think a corporation is your friend? On the other hand, I did hear somebody suggest a special name card to mark the occasion, which would have been really nice. That's the only thing I really would have asked for. Just some "I was here" trinket. Which I guess Mihoyo thinks is the fish sword. :/ I like the fish sword, but it doesn't say 'thank you for giving us hundreds or thousands of hours or dollars' does it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:If you play Genshin, and haven't started the new event yet, let me warn you... get some snacks. Or find something else to do while you play. I got an art post done while the cutscenes played. :D Let's just say...it rivals the start of the Inazuma main quest.

Because I was productive while the conversations rolled I let myself go through the first treasure hunt and...I have obtained the fish stick. And it is incredible.

To let you see it for yourself first...that's all I'll say.

Next day edit: Well...the Genshin community had one of the most unified tantrums I've ever seen?? I'll be REALLY curious to hear what the Chinese community did to protest the anniversary because the NA/Europe folks have gone OFF. If you haven't heard, the App Store/Play Store/PS Stores were all review bombed, Play Store getting the lowest iirc at like...1.8? Pretty positive it was below 2.

On one hand, you « Snuggly Bunny » goblin children, do you think a corporation is your friend? On the other hand, I did hear somebody suggest a special name card to mark the occasion, which would have been really nice. That's the only thing I really would have asked for. Just some "I was here" trinket. Which I guess Mihoyo thinks is the fish sword. :/ I like the fish sword, but it doesn't say 'thank you for giving us hundreds or thousands of hours or dollars' does it.
You weren't kidding on the long cutscenes thing. I honestly really enjoyed being back in Liyue and hanging with old pals. Had to laugh when they gave an introduction to Chongyun in that little pop-up bubble though. Like, I went on a spooky date with him, game, do you not remember??? Lol. I ended up doing all the currently available content and got the fish claymore upgraded to the point that I need to remember to dungeon dive today to get materials for it.

RIP me thinking we'd finally get some Xinyan content though. Felt like it could've been an easy segway for the event to be like 'oh, btw, this is Xinyan and this is her food preference' but alas...

On the tantrum, I am sticking with my previous stance of not really giving a damn about the anniversary showering me in gifts. Would it be nice for get a shitton of free stuff? Yes. Does it effect my enjoyment of the game because we're not? Nope. And yes, Mihoyo can afford it and yes the web contests only giving away 100 primos per winner is kinda dumb, but I ain't here for this, I'm here to play my weeb open world game with loveable characters and fun combat, and that's pretty much it.

The main reason for the review bombing though is that Mihoyo took the nuclear option on platforms they have control over, ie; their app and website. As there was a sudden influx of complaints, they deleted all of them. Obviously angry, every took to review bombing on platforms they can't control like PSN and Google Play to review bomb in response. Deleting everything is a really « Cow Poopy » thing to do, I won't defend it, but so is review bombing a legitimately good game because the giant corporation would give you more handouts. BOTH sides went nuclear imo, and it's been a trip watching everything as someone who really couldn't give less of a « Cow Poopoo » either way.

P.S. Was legit happy to see Baizhu again. I took so many pictures of him. Please add Dendro in the next area, I am begging you. I want the tall snake man. Really badly.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

It's like dumping on Xinyan is the community joke now. She's at least got a small chance since Liyue will keep getting events... She's definitely got a fanbase, whether or not the execs are ready to admit it.

Aaaand the tantrums worked. We have "anniversary rewards". (So far just in Asia, but, I don't see how they don't appear elsewhere.) Apparently what they're giving was going to be a 'bundle' that was listed in the patch notes for this update. Right now we've got a glider and 400 primogems. Damage control.

I don't really AGREE with the review bombing (the worst bit is that people were review bombing other mobile games) but...when review bombing is the only way consumers can get their frustration across to a corporation, so be it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Not important...just musing to myself about why I'm still in limbo with my little hoard of games.
Spoiler:
I suddenly realized why I've been putting off dipping into my 'winter' games, even though I didn't actually set a date for when I'd start to need them. Last year, Cement Head Sleepsalot Syndrome set in very early, in Late August, probably due to a very dark, rainy month. This year has not had that problem! August was very sunny and September almost as much so until the past week.

But it's the time shift. Daylight Savings Time doesn't begin until November 7, and I think, subconsciously, I had set November as my 'start' date for that reason. Well, it can't stay that way! I've been waking up at 7 freaking AM the last several days. 7 AM! I'm somebody who typically rises around 5:30, so that's weird. My internal clock is already screwed up. The daylight has already shifted that much, regardless of what the literal clock says, and regardless of the fact that half the time it's bee-yew-tee-full out there from 9-5...and my flower garden still looks great even if the veggie garden is done. This week the temperatures took a dive...night time temps now give us a frost risk most nights. As of last week we're already in the dark half of the year, so...all restrictions lifted! Not just one or two, but all my 'winter' games are fair, er...game. I think I'm doing comparatively well, but the point is to keep it that way...no sliding down the hill! My greenhouse will be done within the week, I think...that's the biggest deal of all, since I can do as much noisy exercise as I want, once it is.

That said, I don't know what to choose, lol.
I think maybe I should pick up SoS(1) again? I left my 'Kamil' playthrough in Fall Year 1, on the day of the first Pet Promenade. I'd have to run around all the fields to try to rememebr what I was growing and which crop I was fertilizing...I can't remember if I was always doing the top right or the top left corners. This is always a problem with setting these detail-heavy games down for weeks or months on end...it's hard to pick them back up smoothly because there is so much to forget.

I feel like I want to play Slime Rancher, though. I don't even know why I like it, but I do. I wonder if I should just randomly play whatever I want. I never do that...it feels so inefficient, particularly with detailed games where it's easy to forget where you were in your progress. It's not a good way to get completions. But since I'm not actually aiming for completions...technically...I guess there's no reason not to?

This last week has actually been quite busy and I haven't had time to play much. I probably won't have much to play this next week, either, but after that I think I'll have more, again? I have the feeling that once I get started on (regular!) exercise again, my head will clear up and I'll just naturally know what I want to do. Guess I could just wait and see!

Aaaand I just remembered that Knockout Fitness released yesterday and I didn't pick it up. Oh well, guess I can do that any time now! :) Btw, if anyone's on the fence, it has a demo!
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I got sick again (a different kind of sick. I think it might be altitude sickness, but it might also be I ate something bad and had to throw it up.) AND my phone died and won't turn back on so. My bad luck is continuing...If I'm lucky this'll be it but I'm not betting on anything anymore.

I played a little bit of trio of towns today but only one day. Need to remember to buy the dlc when I can. Might play a little something before bed.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Altitude sickness? Did you suddenly go to a very high place, over about 8000 feet above sea level?

~

I kind of think I may not be gaming for a bit even if my schedule goes back to normal. I feel more like reading, right now, it seems. I sure want to get this greenhouse done! Right now it's bits that require the know-how, though, so I have to rely on dad, and his chemo puts him out of commission quite a lot, and he just had a new session yesterday. I think I might be able to sneak some detailed instructions from him, though...maybe it'd be enough to continue on my own?

Once that's done I can finally see what Knockout Home Fitness is like. I've already downloaded the demo, hoping to check out the trainer personalities. I could wait until Sister is out to try it, but she leaves so late in the day, that it's really not good timing for me...I have no energy left by then. Whyyyyy does she have to be a person who stays up until 2AM (by choice, not necessity) and then doesn't get up until 2PM? REALLY doesn't work with life in general, imo, since all of the rest of us function during the day.

Well, I wouldn't be having to go to these lengths to be able to exercise indoors if she wasn't like that in the first place, so nothing I can do about that. It's the only feasible option for most of the winter, so I'll just have to be patient a while longer, even though I want to get started nowwwwwwwww.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Yeah, though it's only 5000, not even 8000 and I have to go even higher today before I go back down...I guess my body is overly sensitive to altitude now which is very very unfun. Nothing I can do about it though right now except hope I don't throw up in the car...I'm moving, so didn't really have a choice otherwise I wouldn't be doing any sort of travel right now. Once I know I'm not going to throw up, I might play my switch until the battery runs out. Might need to wait until it gets dark so I can see though.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sounds like you may have chronically low blood oxygen. Have you had that checked out? If you did have a long case of covid or something, I'm pretty sure low blood oxygen levels are a common issue with that, and starting out with low blood oxygen would probably make you quite a bit more susceptible to changes in altitude. Well, just something to keep in mind, maybe.

~

I really want to try my Knockout Home Fitness demo today. I'm going to have to try to sneak it in when the house is empty...there should be a window of time long enough to let me do so later on. I already know I want it, and the one thing that could put me off would be if I dislike all the trainer personalities. I already know I don't like...is it Satsuki? The baby-doll girly one. I just can't take aaany cutesy-poo stuff when I'm exercising, thanks. Hopefully the guy or one of the other two women (why isn't it an even split?) are more appealing to me.

An irritating instructor completely ruins a workout for me, so it sounds like a minor quibble at first, but it's actually a deal-breaker. Satsuki seems like the 'cute' type and Christie like the 'perky' type, neither of which suit me, so I'm thinking it'll probably be Takumi or Matilda.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Welp, no sooner did the Great Genshin Anniversary Review Bombs situation get over and done with (the glider is nice, ngl), China is now ordering Mihoyo to remove or redesign elements of Genshin Impact. A colossal shitton of characters are going to go through redesigns; basically all the boys who looks feminine (Venti is the biggest one, also Gorou) and all the females showing a lot of skin (Raiden, Yoimiya, Ningguang, ect), and all the kid characters. All the Japanese voice acting has already been removed in the Chinese servers, so it's started.

Ngl, I'm gonna probably drop the game. I have not invested my time and money into this product for them to come in and change « Cow Poopoo » like this. I get that they literally have no choice, their government is forcing them to rework designs, but fuuuuuck thiiiis. Why am I even going to bother investing into characters now if they can simply be taken away or have their appearance edited? What's even the point? I'm not going to just sit down and accept the changes, no, I'm going to stop playing your game and not give you another thin dime. A lot of people are taking the 'wait and see' approach, but I think I'm out.

---

Gonna do some farming in FFXIV tonight with some friends. Need a few more dog mounts before the level squish in November. Unsure what I want to play on my days off, but it'll probably be Code:Realize.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sorry the Chinese government is trying to align a favourite game of yours with what they think is the only morally acceptable way for it to be, Bluie. And Mikodesu, since you must be in the same boat. Not sure what got into China's undies, but they're definitely in a twist for some reason.

I hope something great will come along to either resolve the situation favourably, or to take Genshin Impact's place.

~

I was not able to 'play' the KHF demo today as I had to spend the afternoon helping my sister deconstruct that meshuggeneh tent of hers, which she erected to use ONCE in the whole summer. (She may have gone out and used it a second time by herself.) It takes 1-2 hours to put up, and notably longer to take down, and I never even use it, so THAT was fun. This really has been a busy week...and we're past a week, now. Well, 1-2 more weeks and things will probably get much, muuuuch quieter, so I just have to pay attention to not missing my naps (or chiro appts) for a while and things should sink back into something more routine.

I won't be able to try it tomorrow, either, or Saturday. I think I can try it on Sunday? I hope it's selling well for Xseed.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

@Kikki: I have to ask real quick...how big of a tent? :lol: That sounds HORRIBLE, a tent big enough to sink an entire afternoon into putting away. I guess at least it's exercise. Not the exercise you wanted, but the exercise you got...

« Cow Poopoo ». Thanks for sharing, Bluie. I saw that Mihoyo gave some sort of non-response response to the anniversary stuff but not this.

Can't help but wonder how much of this is Tencent's doing. Mihoyo has to be up there, top 5 Chinese video game developers -- entirely because Tencent is on a different scale. I just can't see Tencent letting anyone getting to the scale to be competition to them, not without some push back, and Mihoyo IS now.

Hopefully they have enough government contacts that they could at LEAST work it out that the redesigns are for the Asia server only. (If they're severe, anyway.) If not, this will tank the company. 1000%. Mihoyo is DONE for. They'll do their best to wiggle around the regulations but...Genshin and Honkai are waifu bait, full stop.

They MIGHT be able to get away with the girls wearing stockings instead of bare legs. I dunno what they'll do about Venti, though. Super strange that the government is only cracking down on videogames NOW, when they've been censoring crazy colored hair for years. I get the feeling that they think they're too big to fail... There's gonna be a rude awakening in a few years, I think.

Might have to wake up for the 2.2 livestream. :/ Kinda curious if anything, ANYTHING at all will be addressed. They'll have to address the crackdown sooner or later... redesigns can't be slipped in like new voice actors can. Too sad.