Avalon Code from the creator of Harvest Moon?!

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I know it's an old game but I only just heard about it! I'm surprised I never heard about it before and I just got it. I'm excited to play it now. So who else has played it? Tell me about it, please!
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've played it. For the longest time I had one of the characters from the game as my avatar/sig combo :].

It's a really fun game but awfully short. Though there is replay value if you want to pursue different characters.
SerpentTailedAngel
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I always thought it was a really long game... I never even finished it...

I guess that was right when my wrists started acting up and I was really careful to not play for too long, maybe? Must have effected how I perceived the game.
NessEggman
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

The game can be short or long depending on how you play. If you focus on clearing the story events, it is a very short game, but if you focus on completion and collecting stuff, it can be a very long game.

I love the game to death but it has one huge flaw that really bothers me:

For every little area on the map, there is a "completion points" thing, and you have to go around and like.. examine random stuff on that area and you will add to the completion points. Well, there is no indication of what can and cannot be examined. So like, there could be 40 rocks in that area, but only ONE of the rocks can be examined. Sometimes the thing you examine is like... a random part of a wall (because you're looking at the wall, I guess) or like a blade of grass (because there are bugs on it -- you can't SEE them, but your character will mention it if you happen to press the button in the right area). The area you have to press the button on is REALLY TINY and there's no way to tell what it is.

That means without a guide, you need to move your character the tiniest bit (like barely press the direction button), then press the examine button. Then move them the tiniest bit, then press the examine button.

Once you get a little further into the game (and I mean like.. pretty much the beginning of the game) the examine button doubles as this special juggle attack thing button, so that means you have to take one tiny step, press a button, wait for your character to stop jumping and screaming, then do that again.

And each map area can be pretty large, and you'll sometimes do this and still not find all the examine points because maybe you were 1 pixel off somewhere or facing the wrong direction or something. It can take HOURS just to find these things. And there are like... thousands of them in the game.

And on top of that, some of them just CAN'T be examined until later in the game, and there's no way to know if the map you're on is like that at all. So you'll get all of them but 1 in an area and you won't know if your 7 hours of jumping and screaming on every pixel was a failure because you couldn't find it properly or because the game decided you just can't find that one yet.

It's a really horrible design.

Even with a guide, I found it REALLY difficult to find them. The guide was pretty specific but you just have to have your character lined up so exactly that it won't even count as examining half the time -_- And I hate using guides in the first place.

Now, these examine points and the map completion are completely optional. Unless you're a completionist, they are no big deal. But you still might want to do them because in some areas it will actually reward you with really cool equipment and items for doing it that you can only get through completing that map area's completion points or whatever. And the only way to do that is to find all those examine points.

But you can just skip that stuff. You don't need it to play or finish the game, and you can still see mostly everything in the game without doing it. But if you're a completionist, this will drive you insane and frustrate you to no end.

It's really hard to force myself to not care about the map CP, but once I do, the game becomes really fun again because I'm not worrying about that stupid stuff. Outside of that, it's an insanely fun game with a lot of unique and fun mechanics. I think the fighting gets kind of stale after a while, and it can feel a bit grind-y, but it doesn't really take away from the enjoyment of the game for me (and I usually hate grindy games)
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah I mean it's short main story-wise. But getting all the little extra things can take ages. Whether doing the extra stuff is worth it or not depends on the person.
Pen
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I no-lifed a few days on this game, then put it down one day and haven't played it since. 0-0 I think what happened was I couldn't decide between two of the guys (even though the romance is kinda meh) so I figured I'd pursue them both. Then I found out that was a bad idea because in order to get the one guy you can't be close to any of the human guys and then I got mad and quit.

I should really finish it, especially since I think I'm fairly close to the end.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

NessEggman hit many of the problems the game had. But personally I loved the game overall. I really was hoping they would make another one soon.

Considering the romance in the game I thought the PC's were a little young looking, but liked the stories anyway.

LOVED the puzzles of making an item or changing an enemy in the book. I thought that was really unique and was surprised to never see it again in any other game.

I would definitely buy a AC2.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Thank you everyone, I like the game so far and it was good to get some feedback.