Birthright or Awakening?

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I loved FE Awakening and am considering getting Birthright. I know somethings changed from one to the other but were the changes good? In your opinion is Birthright a better game, has better options, better story, etc.? And why?

In Awakening I did like the story, but wasn't really fond of the final battle. Seems no matter how much I grinded that battle was a bear and I had to retry several times before finding the right combinations of characters to use and positioning to win. I like grinding for levels, etc. I like no permanent death. Like the pairing for children units, though I have no interesting and meta-gaming to get the most useful units/classes. Just like to go with what makes sense to me.

Was going to start playing Awakening again but may just buy Birthright if it's overall better.

Thanks.
quigley
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I highly recommend playing Birthright (as well as the other two Fates games). Personally, I like Awakening's characters a little better, but if you're a Fire Emblem fan, trust me, you'll want to play the Fates games.

One change that I love is the removal of weapon durability (except for staves). You no longer have to worry about your weapons breaking (although in exchange, you'll have some of your stats reduced).

The My Castle feature in the Fates games is one of my favorite changes. It's much better than the barracks Awakening.

Birthright is the easiest of the Fates games, and I suppose it's easier than Awakening.

In short, I always recommend trying new FE games. Awakening will always be there if you decide to play it again.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I think you would like Birthright. You can grind all you want in this game, and there's the no permadeath option still. In addition to what quigley mentioned, the battle animations have really improved in Fates too. It's more dynamic and colorful, imo. I rarely ever skip battles because of the animations tbh =)
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Birthright is most akin to Awakening, so if you enjoyed Awakening you'll like Birthright.

Story-wise they're probably on the same tier. Gameplay wise, I think Birthright is MUCH better and a vast improvement.

Akin to the return of no permadeath, there is also a "Phoenix Mode" that allows fallen units to be revived that next turn. Not as necessary imo cause Birthright is pretty easy, but definitely useful for Conquest if you ever decide to purchase that one.

Skills/classes are (imo) a bit easier this time around. It's different and a bit confusing at first, but on Normal/Easy + Casual you don't have to worry about that imo. I screwed up a few places with that, and still did just fine (altho I had to bump down from Hard to Normal/Easy on the last few chapters for my first run).

You can certainly look at a few youtube videos if you really want to have as much knowledge beforehand about it, but generally, Fates was really well received and Birthright, while perhaps maybe a TINGE more difficult than Awakening, is still pretty easy imo.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Thanks for the info.

Sound like it will be right up my alley then. Looking forward to it.

Looks like it's still $40 new, $35.50 used, so I might as well get new.

Not real crazy about how they split the game in two (and a third), but I'll start with Birthright and see.

Does the game come with a ton of DLC like Awakening did? Seemed like they were milking that game for everything they could.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Yep, there are a lot of DLCs. There are two map packs and each one has more or less 10 maps, I think.