* Search  * Register
It is currently Feb 18, 2020 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Ronin19
  Post subject: Story Rich Games
Post Posted: Jul 04, 2017 8:16 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Has anyone played any great games filled with story to recommend? Examples that I've played include Telltale's The Walking Dead, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Night in the Woods, The Witcher 3 (I have 1 and 2, but haven't played them), Persona, Tales of series, Stories: The Path of Destinies and Shin Megami Tensei series. Pretty much games with great stories.

Liliana93
  Post subject: Re: Story Rich Games
Post Posted: Jul 04, 2017 9:39 pm 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Not sure if combat-based gameplay is essential, but here are a few of my personal favorites (or one's i'm interested in) Most of these are PC some of them can be purchased on console though

List for simplicity (spoilers)

Spoiler:
Dreamfall chapters, dreamfall: longest journey, the longest journey
divinity II (and potentially all games within the Divinity titles (including original sin 1 and 2))
BG, NWN, and Knights of the old republic (all games within respective titles)
Bastion
Dragons Dogma
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

The explanations for each:

Dreamfall chapters/longest journey (female specific protag), has an interesting story, I've played it quite a lot, no combat however

Divinity II: developer cut (male/female protag) is good if you want a kind of DA:O feel, I don't know if choices matter and outside of swimming the game's pretty solid (swimming does funky stuff to the game), the entire divinity series is RPG based but I have yet to get to the other games within the franchise.

Not sure if you've considered or already own BG and BGII as well as NWN and NWN2 (with their expansions), I've played/replayed them a bunch (despite my deep rooted disdain for the combat (particularly in BG and BGII)

The star wars games made by bioware (can't speak for the old republic specifically), but I'm not sure if you're a fan of star wars or would tolerate it enough to play

Bastion (male specific protag) I've heard has a relatively good story, haven't played it myself but one to keep in mind for a rainy day

Dragons dogma/Kingdoms of amalur:Reckoning (male/female protag) are another two, story is definitely there (not extremely unique but fun all the same), but the games are fun to play. I thought I'd place them here cause while they aren't what I would call bioware/cd project red-depth, they're still pretty good games if you're stuck on what to play.

Those are the ones I'm mostly familiar with or have had an interest in for story/gameplay.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Liliana93 on Jul 04, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nurse Fin
Post Posted: Jul 04, 2017 9:46 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Xenogears is hands-down my favorite story-heavy game. Other games with rich stories are Xenosaga and even Xenoblade (which is still plot-heavy just not as complex. In some ways that's better though). Xenoblade X was pretty rich in side story content/lore but the main story was barebones and currently left unfinished, so I can't really put it in the same category.

The Trails in the Sky games are story rich but they are very much a slow burn, and were a lot harder for me to get into because of that... but still enjoyable, they have a very 90s anime feel to them

Other than that there's the obvious visual novel (Zero Escape series, etc) and Final Fantasy (partial to 7 and 9 personally) recs

sharp
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 1:57 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

The Ace Attorney series is definitely worth a try. Very plot-twisty murder cases and distinct characters whom are bound to leave an impression.

venus14!
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 2:16 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Odin Sphere! : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... OdinSphere

One of my favorite games! :heart: I love everything about it! The Story, the characters, the Graphics, the Art Style, the Music, the Gameplay... Especially in the Remake...! :P :lol: :heart: :lala: :wink: :)

The Valkyrie Profile series and the Xenosaga series are pretty cool too! :!: :)

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 3:27 am 
Anonymous Fish

Depends on what you mean by story filled as there are some games I think have a great/nice story but others might not think the same way.
Although you should try Okami

Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 4:18 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I'm going to recommend a more obscure one.

Knight in the Nightmare. It revolves around a disembodied soul and a mysterious maiden trying to take back what was taken from them. The story itself is very deep, but there's also the dozens upon dozens of characters to recruit who all play their part in and out of the main plotline.

The DS version has two storylines with two different maidens with 2-3 endings each while the PSP version has an extra 'maiden' that is a character from another game (changes tons of dialog).

If you have a PSP or Vita, I can't recommend it enough. I might have a bit of a bias as it's one of my favourite games of all time, but it was just that good.

kabutomoaki
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 5:28 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

i second ace attorney!! another great visual novel is the danganronpa series (if you don't mind a bit of murder and getting attached to characters who'll inevitably not make it)

Onion_Taka
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 6:38 am 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Liliana93 wrote:
Bastion (male specific protag) I've heard has a relatively good story, haven't played it myself but one to keep in mind for a rainy day

This^^^^ Bastion is my all time favorite game (Terra575 made an awesome Avatar/Sig set of it for me a while ago). A ton of the art is hand-drawn and the color is gorgeous. As for the actual story-line, it's absolutely incredible. The gameplay is narrated by a character named Rucks, who's telling the story of the main character (the Kid).

The theme is fairly straightforward, but it covers topics that most games don't bother to: politics, religion, and ethnicity.

The game has a heart wrenching soundtrack that you can listen to on Spotify. There's easily over 20 hours of gameplay in the first run.

I literally cannot recommend this game enough. If you like story-rich games, this is a must-play.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 7:10 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Liliana93 wrote:
Not sure if combat-based gameplay is essential!

To me at least, combat is not required to enjoy a good story.

Out of all the games listed:
Beaten
Ace Attorney series

Played
Dragons Dogma
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Okami

Own (So never really played)
Baulder's Gate 1 and 2
KOTOR 1 and 2
Pretty sure I own Bastion

Thanks for the rest of the recommendations, guys. I'll definitely take a look at them.

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 9:41 am 
Anonymous Fish

How about Solatorobo: Red the Hunter?

RopeMaidenKirie
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 10:00 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Fin already mentioned them, but you can't get more story heavy and content rich than the Trails series. They have incredible world building and fantastic characters. You can start at two points:

Start with Trails in the Sky: First Chapter, then continue to Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter, and finally Trails in the Sky: The 3rd. After that you can continue on to the Cold Steel games.

OR

Start with Trails of Cold Steel, then Trails of Cold Steel 2, wait for Trails of Cold Steel 3 to be localized or go back and finish the Sky trilogy while you're waiting.

Basically all of the Trails games take place in the same world, yet focus on a different country. They are all connected.

Sky games- Liberl
Zero/Ao - Crossbell
Cold Steel games - Erebonia

The Crossbell games haven't been localized yet unfortunately because of a few complications, but it's not an issue really. There are fan translations on the way so even if they never come over we'll be able to get them in some form.

Like Fin said, the games are slow burns. They each start off kind of slice of life-ish and by the end they ramp up by 200x political drama and you're sitting there thinking "what in the actual hell just happened" < in a good way. They are definitely back heavy. Trails in the Sky: First Chapter has an insane plot twist at the end of the game that immediately hooks you to the 2nd game.

The Sky series is more dated as they are older, but still very charming. The first two Sky games are playable on PSP/Vita/PC but 3rd is PC only. I'd highly suggest PC for all of them because not only was XSEED able to go back and fix any continuity errors/typos, you can use a speed hack cheat (you can still get achievements even using it) which makes the battle system so much snappier. You can also import your save data into each subsequent game to get bonuses.

The Cold Steel games are PS3 and Vita for the first two releases, and the 3rd game is being released for PS4 only in Japan this September. BUT XSEED is releasing both the first and second game on PC with like 50% additional voice acting. Cold Steel 1 will be releasing this month.

Last thing to note, is that NPCs aren't throwaways in these games. After every event, they update with new things to say. They are all named and have their own little stories that carry on from game to game. You can see how their lives evolve which is really neat. That being said, this makes it so each game has a tooon of text in them.

The Cold Steel games have some Persona-like social links in them, and you can kind of choose who Rean is interested in and goes to some events with. There's a pretty heavily implied canon but meh. In the 2nd game I actually chose one of the boys instead and while it's "they are friends" that's not really what it felt like to me at least at times >_>

Sorry for the long spiel but I really love these games, so figured I'd try and explain them a bit. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

LeBurns
Post Posted: Jul 05, 2017 11:09 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Anonymous Fish wrote:

I wanted to really like that game and it had an engaging story up to the point where I couldn't play anymore. I was forced to win some kind of race (some flying crafts of some kind) and I couldn't for the life of me get the controls figured out and basically had to quit the game due to that one (unless there were more like it I never got to) little mini-quest.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Jul 06, 2017 5:35 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Anonymous Fish wrote:

If it wasn't $80 on Amazon and I could find it at a GameStop one lucky day, I will. Gameplay looks fun.
RopeMaidenKirie wrote:
Fin already mentioned them, but you can't get more story heavy and content rich than the Trails series. They have incredible world building and fantastic characters. You can start at two points:

Start with Trails in the Sky: First Chapter, then continue to Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter, and finally Trails in the Sky: The 3rd. After that you can continue on to the Cold Steel games.

OR

Start with Trails of Cold Steel, then Trails of Cold Steel 2, wait for Trails of Cold Steel 3 to be localized or go back and finish the Sky trilogy while you're waiting.

I'll look into them some more. So far my problem is that the game reminds me of Agarest: Generations of War combat and, if I recall correctly, I didn't enjoy it all that much. Then again, I did enjoy the combat of PoPoLoCrois and it's similar. Who knows. More research required!
venus14! wrote:
Odin Sphere!

It looks like such a beautiful game. Combat would be my only issue; I can't remember if I like those kinds of games or not as I can't recall any in my library with those combat mechanics.
Nurse Fin wrote:
Xenogears is hands-down my favorite story-heavy game. Other games with rich stories are Xenosaga and even Xenoblade (which is still plot-heavy just not as complex. In some ways that's better though). Xenoblade X was pretty rich in side story content/lore but the main story was barebones and currently left unfinished, so I can't really put it in the same category.

The Trails in the Sky games are story rich but they are very much a slow burn, and were a lot harder for me to get into because of that... but still enjoyable, they have a very 90s anime feel to them

Other than that there's the obvious visual novel (Zero Escape series, etc) and Final Fantasy (partial to 7 and 9 personally) recs

I've tried Xenoblade Chronicles two years ago with my boyfriend's copy. Combat wasn't my favorite, unfortunately. The premise sounded interesting though. The FF series I've played a lot of. I should go back and beat them; I've only beaten 1, 4 and 15.

RopeMaidenKirie
Post Posted: Jul 06, 2017 5:56 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I looked into Agarest: Generations of War and the combat definitely isn't like that. It's your typical turn based RPG with some twists, but if you're a fan of Persona-like games combat-wise it really shouldn't be too much different than what you're used to.

Here's a very low level battle:
https://youtu.be/nAETeO-Jcls Sky series is similar

I recommend not looking too into it if you're interested because of spoilers!