Palia

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

So the closed beta on PC has begun. Did anyone else sign up to play the beta? What are your thoughts?

I got my invite and got everything set up okay I thought. Unfortunately every time I launched it it would almost always instantly crash. After some searching, I am pretty sure it was caused by the graphics card in my potato desktop being waaay below recommended specs. Oops. Surprisingly, I did get into the character creation screen once. There were more options than I expected for customization. My character turned out pretty cute, but of course it crashed after that. In hindsight, I am actually surprised my computer got that far at all, lol! The background music was pretty ambient too.
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I just got an invite and I tried it! It's very fun so far but the performance issues are very noticeable. I thought it was my PC being a potato but turns out there's many similar complaints. The server I joined was very active and it felt really nice. We did some activities together by forming a group, it really felt nice. The game content does seem a little barebones at the moment but I can see this taking over SDV multiplayer for me easily. Mostly because the activities are actually curated to be enjoyed with other players. SoS multiplayer game has some serious competition now! :lol:
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Good news! After I upgraded some parts of my desktop, I was able to get Palia working! It started up and ran on the first try. Plus it had saved the cute character I had created before. :) I haven't played very far, just built my house tent. It seems like a reasonably big world but it will take a while to get used to traverse it for me. I'm not used to keyboard controls, haven't really played games on pc since probably the 90's, lol. I also haven't played with anyone yet as I would like to get more of a feel for it first, but there were plenty of other people running around. I do think I would like it better on Switch, just because my gaming setup is more comfy than our PC setup.

My impressions so far: It is very pretty visually. Nice backgrounds, nice character models, and variety in the NPCs I saw. I thought the music was ambient rather than annoying, so that's a plus. Some people's assessment of it being like an Animal Crossing mmo with a story doesn't seem to be off base. Not a bad thing though.
GavinsMustache
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I played once it opened up for anyone to download and it was pretty fun but got REALLY grindy really fast. It got to the point where I just needed a TON of money or mats to do the things I wanted to do and that meant spending hours on end fishing or waiting for crops or waiting for mining nodes to respawn or etc etc. and it got really tedious.

The world and characters were great, though, lots of personality. I might go back to it eventually but it burned me out pretty bad pretty quickly.
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

GavinsMustache wrote: Aug 31, 2023 11:08 am I played once it opened up for anyone to download and it was pretty fun but got REALLY grindy really fast. It got to the point where I just needed a TON of money or mats to do the things I wanted to do and that meant spending hours on end fishing or waiting for crops or waiting for mining nodes to respawn or etc etc. and it got really tedious.

The world and characters were great, though, lots of personality. I might go back to it eventually but it burned me out pretty bad pretty quickly.
Same case here, it was really fun at first but the grind just increased and it tired me. The waiting times for later upgrades are just ridiculous. I think the long waiting times are a facade to make the players progress more slowly so they can play the game for a long time. There's decent amount of game content but it's not enough to keep an online community active for long. Hopefully they figure out things until when the full release is. They've already planned to do more community events so that's nice to see. I think I'm gonna get back on this game way later when it has gotten many updates. It'll be sad to miss the time exclusive events and items but it is what it is.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Palia's characters sound like their strong point, to me. I heard about the weird and interesting events they have. Character/events/dialogue is Fae Farm's weak point, apparently. Theirs is flat and generic, from what I've heard. Too bad we can't splice bits from one into the other to cut and paste ourselves the perfect game...

It's nice that Palia is free. Will definitely try it when it hits full release!
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I have It downloaded and have a account but I yet to play. I want to, especially since we can have cake baking parties to make money. If we cook together and if everyone gets involved everyone gets the dish to sell. And according to Caito’s discord server cake parties is your best bet. Because the cake has 15 steps and if 15 people join a session everyone has a job and everyone gets cake.

Don’t eat the cake just sell it I been hearing.
GavinsMustache
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I don't have 15 friends let alone that many that would all be online at the same time and playing the same game XD
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

GavinsMustache wrote: Sep 02, 2023 6:56 am I don't have 15 friends let alone that many that would all be online at the same time and playing the same game XD
That’s what discord is for XD

Seriously it’s okay. Play how you want
GavinsMustache
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Oh yeah I didn't even think about meeting up with discord XD I'm a little afraid of playing with strangers :)
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I think I have played about as much as I want to before the full/console release. I would like more to do for sure, but some of the required tasks are hard for me, hunting and bug catching in particular. I have yet to successfully catch a single bug. Hunting the deer creatures is hard for me too, they're either too skittish, I barely miss the mark, or some other player hops out from behind me shooting up every deer in sight (including the one I was after first) and hitting them all. :(
GavinsMustache
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Yeah the deers are super hard to hunt. Some of the bugs are easier than others but I never spent much time catching them because it was frustrating.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Bumping this because of the Switch release, and to share my thoughts about that.

1. Playing Palia with a controller vs the keyboard is so, sooo much better! It's much more comfortable and intuitive in my opinion. I'm guessing they may have finally added that to the PC version too, haven't checked, but it didn't support controllers to my knowledge when I played the Beta.

2. It actually runs pretty well on the Switch, a lot better than I thought. There are some load times when changing areas, but those were on PC too, largely because of the MMO/online aspect. I haven't had any issues with it thus far, but I will have to play some longer sessions to see for sure. Also, linking my account was easy, and my character looked the same as the last time I had played on PC, which had been a while.

3. I am putting this here because it really bothered me. Saving and logging off is apparently not a thing anymore, at least on the Switch version. It just auto saves I guess? I searched in the menus and UI for the saving options for an unreasonable amount of time for the save and log off like I used in the Beta, but I couldn't find it. Had to Google and find out it really wasn't there. Weird.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I’m absolutely loving Palia. I spent last night playing with a friend while they were streaming.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote: Dec 17, 2023 8:19 am I’m absolutely loving Palia. I spent last night playing with a friend while they were streaming.
I was curious about that. You can arrange to be in the same server as your friends? I know the game lumps everyone into servers holding about 25 people, or that's what I read while it was on PC, so I wasn't sure how that'd work, if you wanted to be with specific people.