New and tentative game announcements

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:They had been considering the Torna content as the start of XC2, but found it was just too vast to put it all into one game and they cut it out...then brought that part back as this extra story.
Now THAT I didn't know - it helps clarify a lot. At least to that end the story should all make sense without overlapping too much. I've done that kind of thing in editing before.
Spoiler:
Personally I still prefer the main story how it is now...leaving Adam as a sort of mythical unknown. (XC2 already drifts into movie territory with its cutscenes.) It definitely drastically alters how anyone sees the main story to play Torna first, but in the end arguing what's better will be similar to arguing whether something like Pokemon Sun is better than Pokemon Ultra Sun - it's all up to interpretation.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Since I've been far more interested in the Torna folks all through XC2 and wanted to spend more time with them than I did with Rex and Co (not that I dislike them; I just never found them that interesting), The Golden Country is basically what I had been hoping for when they first announced that XC2 was being made. So I really want all those details filled in :) I'm got fairly high hopes for it...won't be nice if they're dashed, but I don't think my hopes are too unreasonable at this point, since they're not very specific. :)

I saw a bit more info...does anyone like Child of Light and care that it is coming to the Switch? If not, then I guess it wasn't much of an announcement...I just know the game got a lot of positive buzz back when it first came out. :) (Valiant Hearts is part of that announcement...but I've never heard of that one before.)

I also had not heard of Punch Line, and don't know what to make of it yet, but it's coming out soon (though not on the Switch) and I'm going to look into it more to figure it out cuz it sounds entertaining. Maybe. It could also just be endless reference to panties, in which case...nah.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Being able to play AS the Torna characters automatically makes this DLC better than the DLC Breath of the Wild got. So I don't think you'll be too disappointed, even if it's not exactly what you want. It definitely looks like something to get your hopes up over, though. :) I'm keeping fingers crossed!

That's awesome news about Child of Light and Valiant Hearts both! (Makes perfect sense...Ubi is Nintendo's biggest supporter.) If I remember correctly, isn't Child of Light getting a sequel? If so maybe there's hope for that hitting Switch too? :o <3

(For reference, Valiant Hearts is a side-scrolling, story based game [with some light puzzle mechanics] set in World War I. It's far from perfect but it's something pretty out there for Ubisoft, which I appreciate.)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Calling the BotW content a 'DLC story' was ridiculous, imo. That wasn't a story...it was just new battle challenges/shrines with one flashback added per champion. Meh. It's a great game, but LoZ games are never really story-driven, imo. Story driven games are my favourite, but I love LoZ anyway. I'm not worried that Torna: TGC will be like that, though...that's pretty clearly very much a story.

Oh hey, that information I referenced earlier but couldn't link...I can link it now. The DQXI devs think that the Switch version might be coming sooner than expected. :) Though I guess that kind of depends on what your expectations were, lol...but vague or not, it sounds like good news.

EDIT: Also, Liar Princess and the Blind Prince has a 'storybook edition' for sale on Amazon, now.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

BotW DLC was definitely falsely advertised. XD And definitely a shame. Not an obscene lack of value for anybody replaying or just getting the game though...

I'd disagree at least about 3D Zelda games not being story focused. I see a lot of hard core fans complaining about there being too much focus on story in them. Until Breath of the Wild they were getting more and more story focused with each iteration. (There's an ugly rift on Zelda fan sites between those who prefer the story heavy games and those who don't. :roll:)

Monolith does seem good about keeping the structure/elements that keep fans coming back though. But Zelda does have a much broader fanbase...which is probably its own struggle.

ANYWHO. I'd call that good news about DQXI! (: (Another for the never played a DQ game but boy does this one look tempting.) Maybe at this rate we'll know more by the next Nintendo Direct?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Story-driven games blahdeblah...
Spoiler:
Can't say what the general consensus is, all I can say for sure is that LoZ games aren't story-driven based on my own standards. To me they're adventure games with lots dungeons that works along a generally fairly simple plot (keep Ganon from taking over the world, with small variations) without much complexity to either the story or the characters. The series has lots of depth, but to me, it's a depth that was built over a dozen or two games and all the lore added together, not in any one game. That's my view on LoZ. :) Of course, I'm comparing to Xenoblade and Trails (just Cold Steel for me, so far) and 'Tales of' games...my three main series...and those are so story heavy that they can get annoying for people who like to focus on exploration or combat. Cold Steel has cutscenes that link up and sometimes last for half an hour before you can finally regain control of your characters again.

I think the most story driven of the lot based on my qualifications might be...hrm...Skyward Sword? Same sort of story, but more of a sense of Link belonging to a specific town/place/people and being less of a featureless hero. The loose story can sometimes be a charm...it leaves a lot of room to imagine the world and characters as you prefer them
Hey, what games are we expecting to see at the Tokyo Game Show? Gematsu has now put up their own article on DQXI progressing well (it's almost the same thing as the other link, though) and it mentions the TGS. I have this confused recollection of us talking about a game we were anticipating having a decent chance of showing up at TGS, but I can't remember now what it was. I think...possibly the new Tales game that they only confirmed the existence of but gave no details at all of during this year's Tales Festival? (Not Vesperia Definitive...the new one.)

Meanwhile, there's already more details available on Ubisoft releasing Child of Light and Valiant Hearts to the Switch.

EDIT: I was having slow news days for a week or two but today is packed, for some reason. I remember plenty of people seemed interested in Daemon X Machina and this trailer tweeted by Nintendo looks...I think it's new? I don't remember the info about why the war is going on and other bits I saw there, anyway. Also, Mikodesu just mentioned Child of Light II and suddenly, poof, here's a speculative article about it with what looks like a deliberate teaser leak.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I really loved Child of Light, so I'm excited that a sequel is pretty much gonna happen (lol the developer showing off the Switch version in a picture on twitter, you can see a Child of Light II on a paper in the background)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Child of Light is in my top 10 favourite games of all time, so heck yeah i'm buying it again. Valiant Hearts is the one Ubiart game game I haven't played (I was waiting for a Vita port that never came to be) so i'll be picking that one up too. Child of Light II, hnnnngyespls.

OK, so, in my Steam search last night, I rediscovered Wandersong. It was supposed to be out early this year, but that didn't happen. The dev is still super active and working hard. Anyways, I love this game already and I can't wait to play it. It looks and feels like it's gonna be the next big indie darling hit like Owlboy and Night in the Woods. Also, the trailer makes me smile like a goof everytime I watch it.

In some other Switch game news, it's getting Reverie, which just recently released on Vita and PS4. There's also an exclusive game called Legend of the Ice Staff coming out next year that's certainly caught my interest.

Kemco is also putting more of their garbage on the Switch. Hooray.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Story based game rambles:
Spoiler:
Clarifying storytelling like Xenoblade and Tales does help. (I'm not at all familiar with the Trails series though.) I guess that's kind of the difference in how the story is presented. I feel like the majority of the Zelda series has as much story as a Xenoblade game or a Tales game, it's just presented in a drastically different way.

I remember timing one of the XC2 end of chapter/beginning of chapter cutscene sets and I know it went over 20 minutes. Based on my experience with the more hardcore Zelda fans...that won't fly with them. It could be because the most vocal on the forums are more whiny about cutscene length but I haven't seen a single person on the forums say they enjoyed the length of Skyward Sword's cutscenes...and they're by far the longest in the series.

There was a GDC talk I watched on The Long Dark (open world rogue-like survival game with a chapter based story in addition to the rogue-like side) and they categorized story as falling into two categories that were something like: "player driven" and "linear". I enjoyed XC2 a LOT, but I think a part of that is because I knew what I was getting into. I enjoy some lengthy, artistically done cutscenes. I feel like they're rewards for tough puzzles or hard won fights. But I also like discovering part of the world that fills out the story on my own, without the game telling me to do it.

In the end that's the beauty of the games industry. With as much as you've said your particular preferences are really, really narrow you've still found three series with numerous entries to them that satisfy that. And that's kind of awesome!
I think I vaguely remember seeing Wandersong before?? I have no idea what the gameplay is going to be but...I have an extra special weakness for paper cutout art styles, so I might get that.

Reverie also looks adorable~ :) An Earthbound clone I guess? Didn't really get a sense of the game from its Twitter. Nintendo's bad dropping that series. Bring it on.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Doot-de-doo! A reply...
Spoiler:
Correct. My tastes are about as broad as an optical fibre. I have tried for years to like more types of games...I've wasted so much time and money trying other types, basically anything that looks appealing at all to me, but...nope. I don't think I've ever been pleasantly surprised by a game I thought I wouldn't like. If I think I won't like it, no matter how much I WANT to like it, I never seem to end up managing. I don't know why I can't expand my horizons, but there you have it. (I'm like this with music and books and television and so on, too...the only thing I can broaden my tastes in seems to be food, lol.) So I stopped wasting all that time and money and decided to just stick with what I know I like :)

I highly, highly recommend Trails of Cold Steel...available on PS3, PC and Vita...but ONLY if you like extremely story-driven games. They are absolutely linear, and the most important thing about them is definitely the plot and the characters. If lenthy exploration of character backstories and long cut-scenes and linear exploration only are a turn off...it's not the right game. :)

Also, I agree. Skyward Sword may be the most unpopular LoZ for the very reasons I love it...it's probably the most linear game of all because its story wouldn't make sense if you went out of order. It's not my favourite LoZ, but it comes in above Ocarina. Below Twilight Princess and BotW, though...cuz LoZ has lore, and I can make do with lots of lore. And BotW was just so beautiful. Though I don't feel a fan qualifies as 'hardcore' over a fan who likes story just because they prefer non-linearity and difficult dungeons. I think I love LoZ just as much as many of those people...I just love it for different reasons. It's my third-favourite series, coming in ahead of Tales but behind Xenoblade and Trails of Cold Steel.
Oh, there's another interview with Wada on Little Dragons Cafe. Was considering posting it in the LDC thread, but I'd both be double-posting and breaking the 10-day-rule (again, since I've done it before on that thread already, lol) so I thought maybe I should post it here, instead. It's a nicely written interview with mostly the same content as other interviews since the same kind of question tend to get the same answer from the same person, but there's always a little extra to glean out of every different interview, ime. :)

Also, this is not a link, but...I saw Mineko's Night Market make a tweet today. It was just a salute to International Cat Day, but it was nice to see they're still alive :)
Last edited by Kikki on Aug 08, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Here's a trailer for Reverie:

Looks like Earthbound, plays like classic LoZ
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Oh, there's another interview with Wada on Little Dragons Cafe. Was considering posting it in the LDC thread, but I'd both be double-posting and breaking the 10-day-rule (again, since I've done it before on that thread already, lol) so I thought maybe I should post it here, instead. It's a nicely written interview with mostly the same content as other interviews since the same kind of question tend to get the same answer from the same person, but there's always a little extra to glean out of every different interview, ime. :)

Also, this is not a link, but...I saw Mineko's Night Market make a tweet today. It was just a salute to International Cat Day, but it was nice to see they're still alive :)
Don't worry about the rules too much, it would make little sense in posting a brand new thread just for it and it's barely over 10 days! I'll go and post first if it makes you feel any better :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh, thanks, Kirie :) I always feel bad about breaking the rules, especially since I occasionally remind new members and anons about them which is kind of hypocritical, even if I'm pretty sure it's a case where everyone will be okay with it. And since I already sometimes bug you with messages about dumb stuff, I don't like to pester you TOO much, lol.

I also wasn't sure if anyone would care about a third interview with Wada on LDC. It's a pretty nice interview, though...she writes in an appealing way. Or that's how I felt, anyway.

EDIT: Quick one. That Japanese character introduction we saw for XC2 this morning is now available in English, and with bigger art, if anyone wants to see it. Beware spoilers, of course, if you have not played XC2. Though I'm not sure if anything in there counts as one or not.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Laaast ramble I swear :lol:
Spoiler:
Seeing you and Kirie talk about Cold Steel I've been reeeally tempted to pick it up. I still need to finish Octopath before I start another long title though. For now I'll have to wishlist it on Steam! (:

As for Skyward Sword I think the motion controls get people more than anything. But whenever I see someone playing the game they whine about the length of the cutscenes and defend them again purely on the basis of loving the story. :lol: I guess that's one of the reasons I love the LoZ series so much though. I don't know HOW they've managed to snag so many of us with such a strangely varied series, but they have. And I'm good with that. :)
Bluie wrote:Here's a trailer for Reverie:

Looks like Earthbound, plays like classic LoZ
What is this madness. LOL There's even freaking moldorms. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The wait for a Cold Steel III localization announcement is murderous. I think Cold Steel IV is coming out very soon in Japan and I REALLY hope that we'll hear something after it's out.

If you're cool with playing on PC, that's great, cuz they've seriously optimized, maybe even upgraded Cold Steel for PC...Xseed does awesome PC ports...I was a bit envious of the features they added to the PC version, not to mention the doubled voice acting! :) Btw, if friendship speeches give you hives, Cold Steel probably isn't for you. But if you like them, like I do, that game will win your heart forever, lol. (I'm a HUGE sucker for really touching friendships, quite a bit more than I am for even a good romance.) Cold Steel takes about 50 to 80 hours a play-through, depending on what kind of player you are. I 100%-ed that game and had fun doing that in all three playthroughs. It is the ONLY game I have ever been willing to play on Nightmare. (Oh and the combat is turn-based, which I normally dislike, though I always forgot it was turn-based even while playing, for some reason, especially in II, since I found the overdrive system fun.)

I don't think it ever goes on steep discount sales, but I have seen it on sale on Steam before. Not often, though.

Today shot game news at me all day, but I think I'm out of game news for the night, though. My eyes hurt so I'm gonna drink a bunch of water and stop looking at screens for a while. :)