Octopath Traveler Discussion Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Who is your main character?

You may select 1 option

13%
19%
6%
13%
13%
25%
No votes
13%

Total votes: 16

Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Let's talk about Octopath here! It comes out tomorrow! Woot!
Last edited by Ronin19 on Jul 12, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks for the thread Ronin!

Fun idea for a poll thread (only if you want!) is either which character you're gonna start off with, or who you think your main party is going to be.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I am so hype. I'm gonna try to get my work shift done SO FAST tomorrow so I can go and pick up the game asap and play it pretty much all night. I have Saturday off, so who needs sleep! :D
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

RopeMaidenKirie wrote:Fun idea for a poll thread (only if you want!) is either which character you're gonna start off with, or who you think your main party is going to be.
Already done! I knew I forgot something
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

tfw i'll be the only Tressa vote on the poll LOL.

I just got off the phone with EB Games telling me my copy is ready to pick up tomorrow.

SOON.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Wow, look at that character spread so far lol
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Cyrus all the way! It's who I chose for the most recent demo anyway lol

Been reading reviews solely out of curiosity, since no critic is going to make me change my mind. Pretty much confirmed the few fears I had, which were extremely minor and I severely doubt will have a significant impact on my enjoyment :) :) :)
Spoiler:
There is no cohesive, overarching plot that brings everyone together. Each story is pretty self-contained. Given the Canterbury Tales inspiration, this is hardly surprising.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Still not quite done with my demo time (just started today) but I think I'll stick with what I've got - started with Alfyn.

The only thing that really bugs me at this point is how generic NPC dialogue is outside of cutscenes. (I get that it's a side-effect of how the game was written but there's something wrong with talking to an NPC your character is supposed to know...only to have them introduce themselves. :( Imho it's just a lazy writing issue; an if-then clause should fix something like that in the code.)

The localization seems a bit better than the original demo though - I kind of complained about it my survey...(ehehe) fingers crossed.
Panda Parfait
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I still haven't played every character in the demo yet but I think I'll go with Ophilia or Cyrus in the full game. I though I was going to love Ha'anit but I uh... really don't like how she or her village speaks.

Excited for the game but the price is a bit too steep for me atm so I'm just dragging out the demo as long as I can. :(
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The people involved in Octopath have released some words to go along with today's release. It's kind of nice :)
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

ryume wrote:Cyrus all the way! It's who I chose for the most recent demo anyway lol

Been reading reviews solely out of curiosity, since no critic is going to make me change my mind. Pretty much confirmed the few fears I had, which were extremely minor and I severely doubt will have a significant impact on my enjoyment :) :) :)
Spoiler:
There is no cohesive, overarching plot that brings everyone together. Each story is pretty self-contained. Given the Canterbury Tales inspiration, this is hardly surprising.
This was actually was proved false! There's apparently a (no story spoilers)
Spoiler:
post game dungeon which ties the lore together, extra bosses and presumably a final ending
The problem is is that it all is unlocked by doing specific side quests pre and post game which seems like all of the reviewers didn't have time to do. People are working on it right now though. It was mentioned in the official Japanese guide as well.
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Just need a H'aanit and a Olberic now to complete the poll :shock:

I've been trying to take it slow, so about 3 hours in and just started Ophilia's prologue, which is my 3rd, after Therion and H'aanit.

Have one complaint thought (sort of :P), why can't I steal from someone that I just knocked out? Should give be 100% steal rate... it's not like I leave them capable of realizing what's happening :shifty:
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

RopeMaidenKirie wrote:
ryume wrote:Cyrus all the way! It's who I chose for the most recent demo anyway lol

Spoiler:
This was actually was proved false! There's apparently a (no story spoilers)
Spoiler:
post game dungeon which ties the lore together, extra bosses and presumably a final ending
The problem is is that it all is unlocked by doing specific side quests pre and post game which seems like all of the reviewers didn't have time to do. People are working on it right now though. It was mentioned in the official Japanese guide as well.
Hallelujah! Thanks for sharing, Rope! What a nice little bonus :) Makes me wish I hadn't stooped taking Japanese after one semester (no time for it), because I might have known that long ago lol. Ah well, way better late than never :lol:

Not sure if anyone else gets email from Nintendo, but they sent me one with a link to free character wallpapers that include sizes for tablet, PC and even Facebook banners lol.

https://octopathtraveler.nintendo.com/c ... 64A728B1B3
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh hey, with one for every character, you could save those into a file and have them rotate from one to the next every minute (or whatever) for a nice slideshow background...I love having themed slideshow backgrounds. :) I know I'm not gonna be playing this game, but I love the design of that woman with the long curly hair in a braid, she's gorgeous.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Yeah, H'aanit is very lovely. I love the all character designs in this game. Very reminiscent of Akihiko Yoshida's style (Bravely Default, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XIV, etc), but with its own twist. I was thinking the same thing about having a slideshow when I saw they made individual wallpapers for everyone!