Octopath Traveler Discussion Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Who is your main character?

You may select 1 option

View results

Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

I picked up my fifth party member yesterday (Alfyn) and put Primrose in storage, as I'm in desperate need of some sort of healer. Now I have Tressa, Olberic, Alfyn, and Therion, with Alfyn trying to catch up exp-wise to my level 30 group. I might be able to take the boss in Tressa's chapter 2 soon. Alfyn's Initiate ability is a bit more interesting that Primrose's Allure.

Also did some small (optional perhaps?) dungeons. Found a bird cave and a bug cave while exploring the areas between the towns.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I was wandering around, entered a certain town, wasn't paying attention and well...looks like I'll need to finish Ophilia's second chapter when I play tonight. Not so bad, really. I would have done it eventually anyways but was planning on doing more exploring and leveling before I went on to anyone's chapter two.

*note to self "pay attention to what it says on the screen before pressing any buttons" :P

And, oh..I did find the Merchant Shrine this morning, so everyone in my current party has their secondary job now.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

You can pause any story by going to the tavern, thus allowing you to continue to explore freely. It also gives you the option at that bottom of the screen when you enter a town that happens to be someone's next chapter to ignore the continuation of a story and just go on your merry way :)
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I meant to decline to hear the story, but clicked too fast. Doesn't really matter since I would be doing it at some point anyways. I did not know you could pause a story at the Tavern, tho. I thought you could just hear one you'd declined there. I plan on doing chapters two thru four of my current party before moving on to my four that are chillin' at the Tavern.

Just need to decide the best way to do that. Chapter two of each one, then chapter three etc OR Do chapters two thru four of one of them before doing any of the others. Not sure which would be the best.

EDIT: Decided to try Ophilia's chapter two. It did not end well. So..I paused her story and went exploring again. Guess I need to level up my team and get them some better equipment. Don't know what I should be finding/buying/stealing for them, tho. All I know is that they couldn't handle that boss fight.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hey, all you Octopath players...Square Enix has put out another questionnaire, specifically looking for feedback from international players. Just thought I'd post that here in case some of you haven't seen the questionnaire but would be interested in filling it out.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Wow...it's been very, very quiet in here. Guess everyone's already finished the game. I haven't. I'm still enjoying it. i've completed the first two chapters for H'aaint, Primrose, Alfyn and Tressa. Currently just wandering around and going into some of the optional caves etc. NOT liking it when I cannot flee from a random battle when the monsters are too strong for my team. I've gotten a few Game Overs from that :(
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I think it might just be you and me who haven't finished it. :lol: I'm with you on spending my time wandering. Exploring is my favorite part of the game - though I wish there were some more diverse environments.

(I'm saving my last few explorable areas as long as I can, though. It'll be sad to have unlocked the whole world.)

Only one little odd commentary...travel banter at the end of Ha'anit's third chapter.
Spoiler:
« What The Eggplant » Alfyn? Did anyone else get this one? I get the sentiment from it but don't poke the girl's chest you idiot.

TLDR if you didn't get it, he was making a comment on the secret ingredient in medicine being love...
Also, Mothership (and if anybody else actually is still playing) if you've got much of an interest in travel banter I think I have a small idea of how to trigger more of it. All the chapters are kind of set up in scenes, and for each scene one character will have banter to offer. If you think you've hit another 'scene', go to the tavern and change up your party - the game has allowed me to view banter just standing in the tavern.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

I haven't finished either. Ophilia is the last character I still need to collect. I've been working on the chapter 2 stories for the characters I do have though.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I think you and Mothership have the pacing right. :) It's definitely a much more fun game (or at least not so repetitive) if you slow down...needless to say I'm having more fun now than I was a few of weeks ago.

(Also it feels really great to have overpowered characters to go back and fetch your last couple characters with haha)
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mothership wrote: NOT liking it when I cannot flee from a random battle when the monsters are too strong for my team. I've gotten a few Game Overs from that :(
Not sure if you have it yet, but Ophilia (or a character with the Cleric job) has an equippable support skill called Evil Ward which increases success rate of flee. It helps so much! I believe it's the 3rd one you unlock.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

What Rope said. Couple that with Cyrus' (scholar) ability to engage in less battles and voila, perfect exploration set up :)

Hey, I enjoyed the game quite a bit at the pace I went lol. But I don't think any amount of pacing can help with that grind at the end :o
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Repetitive doesn't have to be a bad thing. :) Look at games like Minecraft, one of the most repetitive games in history and it's still fun (I wouldn't say thousands of hours fun but it's definitely fun).

I think this is just...not my kind of gameplay loop. It sticks out too much, so it makes me a lot happier to play a chapter and set the game down for a few days. :lol:

The only thing I would personally caution about exploring with both Evasive Maneuvers and Evil Ward on is if you still want to play through the stories it will definitely take longer, cause you'll still need to spend time leveling up. :? (Up to you, of course - just my thoughts.)
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Ha, ha! Started a new file just to try out some different team combinations. Started with Tressa. Did her chapter one, then headed out to get Ophilia. Encountered a Cait! Managed to kill it...yay! Then watched the level up meter go so fast I thought it might explode :P Went from level 7 to 14! Wow!
What a nice kitty :)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Aaand that's it for chapter 3's. :) Tomorrow will be on to exploration! Whee~

Left for last...
Primrose Ch 3
Spoiler:
Whelp. That was a twist. (I kinda thought the old guy was gonna die...) Primrose's story hinges on her last chapter though - you got some splainin' to do Squeenix. I'd really prefer foreshadowing, but. I'll wait to pass judgment. :|
Tressa Ch 3
Spoiler:
D: Tressa is still my favorite. She's so adorable. I would have loved a series of books about a character like her as a kid - heck I'd still read them.

Still got a liiittle more leveling I want to do...my party doesn't really NEED it just,
Spoiler:
I haven't looked it up yet but I think the 'final dungeon' has something to do with the person in whatever village that was that you can't talk to till you're level 60...I'd just like to TRY to find it before I Google. :lol: I feel like I have a handle on the logic this game was built on.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Did Tressa's chapter three. It took me quite a few tries to complete. Almost gave up. Tried one more time, and beat the boss.
Then, I went exploring again. Got a nasty surprise in Quicksand Cave! Was completely unprepared and got another "game over". Sigh.

My main team (H'aaint, Alfyn, Primrose and Tressa) all have their Divine skills. Still practicing on how, and when, to use those. Tis a big change from the "smack it til it's dead" combat that I'm used to from Rune Factory games.